Think we hit rock bottom fellas

Hoops_Legend

• 1 year later...

In recent weeks I’ve been in the stands for Maryland, Wisconsin & Iowa Football followed by Creighton Basketball. In the not too distant past last night’s defeat would’ve illicited numerous catcalls from friends in the Twin Cities. Now, not a *peep* such is the level of indifference regarding our program (and theirs) When will this Big Red Fever finally BREAK…

It's not that his thread is dumb as @hhcmatt stated, at least I think it was him, so many years ago, it's that this thread is still alive and we are worse off now than we where in 2014 when this thread was started.

It has devolved from dumb to just sad.

For years I've always been able to find a silver lining, something to look forward, a ray of hope.

I could convince myself, even if I couldn't convince others of a way forward.

I can no longer do that. I'm at a loss right now.

Any coach who would want to come here would solely be doing so for $$. 

That person would be given a 4yr contract, which guarantees them at least 6-8yrs worth millions.

Everything sucks... GO BIG RED!!

• 2 months later...
13 hours ago, HuskerFever said:

In the spirit of hijacking threads.

I think he found that rock bottom, fellas. And it might have been a few seasons ago.

The fact that Hoiberg is 60-89 at NU is kind of crazy good, because if you look back he started out 44-78 about 3.5+ years into his tenure, which is staring at the chopping block. But good leadership was at the helm, and the team responded to better rotations, coaching seemed better the team responded to adversity & they stole a few games that didn't seem possible (they also did that at the very end of 2022, too, but I digress...) -- Freddy's been 26-11 since, and 16-9 in the B1G during the regular season. It's truly remarkable. He ought to be the Big Ten Coach of the Year, and the entire staff has been rock-solid. The entire team's bought in. And the basketball is beautiful. So, sayonara, 'rock bottom' as Nebrasketball lookin' at the "deluxe apartment in the sky"1 😎

Edited by AuroranHusker
It's actually 60, not 70... been such a good year, maybe it will be 30 wins in 2023-24. lol

8 hours ago, AuroranHusker said:

The fact that Hoiberg is 70-89 at NU is kind of crazy good, because if you look back he started out 44-78 about 3.5+ years into his tenure, which is staring at the chopping block. But good leadership was at the helm, and the team responded to better rotations, coaching seemed better the team responded to adversity & they stole a few games that didn't seem possible (they also did that at the very end of 2022, too, but I digress...) -- Freddy's been 26-11 since, and 16-9 in the B1G during the regular season. It's truly remarkable. He ought to be the Big Ten Coach of the Year, and the entire staff has been rock-solid. The entire team's bought in. And the basketball is beautiful. So, sayonara, 'rock bottom' as Nebrasketball lookin' at the "deluxe apartment in the sky"1 😎

Agree with everything you say, but I'm guessing the firing of Scott Frost also helped save Hoiberg's job.  I'm guessing had Scott had a winning program instead of the shit show that Husker Football became under his questionable leadership, we might still be in the same spot we were before Coach H...but with someone different.  I don't think the U wanted to get rid of the coaches for two of their three big money earners (VB being the third) the same year.  Coach H had to make some changes after that season as well as take a paycut. Maybe this season they will give him a raise to match what he had before. 

3 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Maybe this season they will give him a raise to match what he had before.

I thought they already did that after last season.  He's gonna need a pretty big raise after this season I would imagine, and probably healthy raises for the assistants as well.  That is, if we're interested in keeping them all around for next year.

20 minutes ago, Nighthawk said:

Agree with everything you say, but I'm guessing the firing of Scott Frost also helped save Hoiberg's job.  I'm guessing had Scott had a winning program instead of the shit show that Husker Football became under his questionable leadership, we might still be in the same spot we were before Coach H...but with someone different.  I don't think the U wanted to get rid of the coaches for two of their three big money earners (VB being the third) the same year.  Coach H had to make some changes after that season as well as take a paycut. Maybe this season they will give him a raise to match what he had before. 

Bill Moos was a train wreck, too, so that kinda saved Freddy when he was at his worst. And, I overshot Hoiberg's record by ten, he's actually 60-89. I corrected the original post. Maybe NU gets to 30 wins in 2023-24. lol

17 minutes ago, 49r said:

I thought they already did that after last season.  He's gonna need a pretty big raise after this season I would imagine, and probably healthy raises for the assistants as well.  That is, if we're interested in keeping them all around for next year.

Yes, he already got that $500k back prior to this current season.