Are we even an NIT team?

ballgame

At this point...no.  With that said, at this point last year we probably weren't an NIT team either.  Even with the Big Ten being down I think our schedule will prove to be more difficult this year.  If the play does not improve I don't see another road win on the schedule.  The players and staff have fumbled away a golden opportunity to continue to put Nebrasketball on the map.  Its been a disaster thus far. 

The players and staff have fumbled away a golden opportunity to continue to put Nebrasketball on the map.

I know we're the exception on this board, but what does this kind of performance this season do to a fairly fresh fan base? Is this a step back in the minds of the casual Nebrasketball fan? Are the fans at the games going to start dissipating? Are we going to lose our "elite basketball arena and practice facility" glamor? And are potential recruits going to see this program as "same 'ol, same 'ol" as it has been for the last decade? As you said, this was a crucial year to step up and start making a name for the program.

The players and staff have fumbled away a golden opportunity to continue to put Nebrasketball on the map.

I know we're the exception on this board, but what does this kind of performance this season do to a fairly fresh fan base? Is this a step back in the minds of the casual Nebrasketball fan? Are the fans at the games going to start dissipating? Are we going to lose our "elite basketball arena and practice facility" glamor? And are potential recruits going to see this program as "same 'ol, same 'ol" as it has been for the last decade? As you said, this was a crucial year to step up and start making a name for the program.

I'm not really sure...I'm not worried about the fanbase.  I think fans will continue to show up to PBA even if this year tanks...but I am worried about recruiting.  I can't remember Miles exact quote but it was in reference to recruits didn't really take notice until we made it to the dance.  With a team that currently looks like a .500 team at best...how is that going to impact next years class and beyond? All the positive press we received in the preseason will turn into "welp, same ole Nebraska basketball" fairly quickly. 

I think we were just a good NIT team last year. Might get ripped for this but I think it could have served the program if we had been one of the first five out, and then made a good run in the NIT.

My reasoning is that I think we got over copensated for finishing well last year. Yes we were a hot team, and yes we beat a very good Wisconsin team at home. But we are like 7-6 or 8-6 since that win correct?

We played out of our minds at the end of last year and with that got rewarded, but maybe it was just a bit too much for all of us; fans, players, sports writers to handle and we are now paying for some of that over reaction.

These are just some thoughts, as always, I will stay behind these guys no matter how this works out.

Because in the very end we can't be as confused and hurt as these players and coaches are. Can't be close to what they feel.

... if we had been one of the first five out...

I really think we got cut a lot of slack last year. If we repeat exactly the same way this year, I don't see us getting into the tournament. The 'up-and-coming Cinderella' story card has already been used up.

We won 8 out of 10 going into the tourney. When you're sorting teams for the last spots that comes into play.

I think we were just a good NIT team last year. Might get ripped for this but I think it could have served the program if we had been one of the first five out, and then made a good run in the NIT.

My reasoning is that I think we got over copensated for finishing well last year. Yes we were a hot team, and yes we beat a very good Wisconsin team at home. But we are like 7-6 or 8-6 since that win correct?

We played out of our minds at the end of last year and with that got rewarded, but maybe it was just a bit too much for all of us; fans, players, sports writers to handle and we are now paying for some of that over reaction.

These are just some thoughts, as always, I will stay behind these guys no matter how this works out.

Because in the very end we can't be as confused and hurt as these players and coaches are. Can't be close to what they feel.

I could be open to this line of reasoning except for the fact that this year's team is not even close to an NIT team, despite having the same players.  Right now, this team is worse even than the Dylan Talley / Brandon Ubel led team from two years ago.

This team is so much more talented than that team.  There is just no logically explanation for why they are playing so poorly.    

I could be open to this line of reasoning except for the fact that this year's team is not even close to an NIT team, despite having the same players.  Right now, this team is worse even than the Dylan Talley / Brandon Ubel led team from two years ago.

This team is so much more talented than that team.  There is just no logically explanation for why they are playing so poorly.

[/quot

I think you may have agreed with me there, I think this team is the same as last year, except we are missing Rey, coach Smith and hitting big shots.

to me the only difference from last year and this year is that we were making a lot of the shots we are missing this year, and we (fans) got caught up in the great ride we were on.

Think we would be 6-6 since that Wisconsin win right?  Lost the last 2 games last year (B10 tourney and NCAA) and then 6-4 so far this year?

We did play over our heads for a stretch last year and the pendulum has swung the other way this year.  Keep it in perspective and overall there is progress being made.   While the team still has holes it is correct to say that we have FAR more talent in the program than we had at the end of Doc's tenure.

It's not even close to the talent we have now vs. Doc's tenure.  And look at the future of the program.  We have Andrew White III (4 star), Ed Marrow (4 star) and Glynn Watson (4 star) all sitting in the wings next year.  When is the last time, we've had three 4-star players coming in????   Like never.....  And possible we could land Agau yet which would give us another 4 star player.  If you look at the program Miles was left with, it's absolutely amazing what he has been able to accomplish in such a short time.  Even if we have a down year, the program appears to be in great shape moving forward.

Based on our play so far, we are not an NIT team.  I think the chances of us ending up in the NIT are better than 50% though, simply because having Leslee and Moses back will help and I just have confidence that at least a couple of players in our rotation will step up their performance when the other 2 are back.

Can't see us making the NCAA this year.  Let's say we manage to finish NC 8-4 with two wins in Hawaii.  Then manage to somehow match last season's 11-7 conference record.  Does that get us in?  I don't see how.  The Big Ten isn't doing us any favors with the non-conference performance this year.

To be a devil's advocate.  Do we get White, Marrow, and/or Watson by making an NIT run?

To be a devil's advocate.  Do we get White, Marrow, and/or Watson by making an NIT run?

Good question. I think we get Marrow and maybe White. Watson not so much.