uneblinstu's Post Game Chatter: ed 7, vol 8 - Hawaii

uneblinstu

Not really sure how I made it through this game. Gonna be a high caffeine day today. Some rambling thoughts that may or may not be coherent.

1st half:

- Pregame technical. Awesome. 

- Rivers a little choppy with the ball to start. 

- Down 8-0 to start wasn't ideal.

- I like Benny's aggressiveness after picking up the charge.

- Looked like we haven't played in a week and a half.

- Why does it seem like Walter falls over whenever he tries to drive?

- After falling behind 8-0, I like how NU responded. Aggressive and taking advantage of Hawaii mistakes.

- Missing the front end three times is killer.

- Petteway with the stupid techincal. Such a silly thing to do. It looked fairly innocent. You wonder if they were warned before that.

- No energy 

- 11 turnovers

- 7 field goals 

2nd half:

- NU comes out aggressive to start the half and it pays off. Need to keep that up.

- 20-6 run for NU, then Petteway picks up his 4th on a cheap call and the momentum changed again.

- Why are we picking up the dribble when we cross half court? That's fundamental basketball. Do we practice breaking a press?

- It's like we can't score when Petteway's not on the floor.

- Tarin Smith gets better with each game.

- Man, we need Leslee and Moses back.

- It's not even the little things when you leave 14 points at the line, plus the two before the game started and turn it over 18 times. Nobody to blame but yourself on that. 

That's all I've got tonight. I gotta be up for work soon.

Posted this in the game thread and i'm posting it here. Soft. Mentally and physically. Nobody wanted to bring the ball up the floor against pressure. Pulled up scared and wasn't strong physically and they take the ball from us over and over again. Everybody that has pressured us this year has gotten the same result. Gave up way too many second shots because we were not strong enough. When Petteway takes bad shots it is mental weakness. When he gets frustrated and gets a T for trash talking and an off the ball foul its mental weakness. You can work your butt off all you want in the off season, be absolutely ripped and still be mentally soft. Nobody right now is showing consistent toughness. Rivers misses a layup because he tries to change his shot when challenged by a player 5 inches shorter. Pitchford refusing to post up is physical and mental weakness. We have absolutely no inside game whatsoever. If you're going to rely on penetration and threes you have to spread the floor more and get people up above the free throw line to open those lanes. We have the pieces to be successful but someone needs to take charge and show some toughness. Mentally we just aren't strong right now. 

Posted this in the game thread and i'm posting it here. Soft. Mentally and physically. Nobody wanted to bring the ball up the floor against pressure. Pulled up scared and wasn't strong physically and they take the ball from us over and over again. Everybody that has pressured us this year has gotten the same result. Gave up way too many second shots because we were not strong enough. When Petteway takes bad shots it is mental weakness. When he gets frustrated and gets a T for trash talking and an off the ball foul its mental weakness. You can work your butt off all you want in the off season, be absolutely ripped and still be mentally soft. Nobody right now is showing consistent toughness. Rivers misses a layup because he tries to change his shot when challenged by a player 5 inches shorter. Pitchford refusing to post up is physical and mental weakness. We have absolutely no inside game whatsoever. If you're going to rely on penetration and threes you have to spread the floor more and get people up above the free throw line to open those lanes. We have the pieces to be successful but someone needs to take charge and show some toughness. Mentally we just aren't strong right now. 

But isn't some of that coaching too?  Like Tim calming his guys down?  At the end of the season, is he going to say "Boy, I wish I would've seen them pressing....or I wish I could've recognized they were playing scared....."  I dunno, just wondering how much of Tim's coaching has translated to the players?

But isn't some of that coaching too?  Like Tim calming his guys down?  At the end of the season, is he going to say "Boy, I wish I would've seen them pressing....or I wish I could've recognized they were playing scared....."  I dunno, just wondering how much of Tim's coaching has translated to the players?

I don't think much of that can be fixed during the game, Have to prepare for pressure in practice I think Miles needs to beat his players up there at this point. Let 5 guys try to beat 7 pressing and let the D bang the hell out of them. I would have loved to see someone dribble hard at the trap and lower a shoulder and put it right in the sternum of a Hawai'i player. 9 out of 10 times you get the call on the defense. There is so little margin between winning and losing. 

Very well put.  Everything you brought up is very much the case IMO.  One of the best posts you have ever made.

- Man, we need Leslee and Moses back.

No kidding. We are going to be a very different team once those 2 get back. Moses will be back for Indiana and Leslee soon afterwards. It was smart for TM to not rush those 2 back from their injuries. We need them more for BIG play than we do now.

We are going to have to beat some big name teams in the BIG to help our cause. This is not over by a long shot. We were in a very similar situation last year. 

One of the reasons I like this site better than HOL is because almost everyone over here has some perspective while over there they are spitting vitriol at players. Lets stay classy guys. As a few others have already said we are actually ahead of schedule. Last year was a bit of an aberration that set expectations out of whack. Dissapointing loss...yes. Need to fix some things...yes. Key injuries hurting us...yes. Season over...NO.

"At the end of the day, you can't make excuses with key injuries, the record is your body of work....and in Tim's case, he didn't win enough of them..."  I can hear a red-headed AD in 2016....(God I hope not)

The silent one, Miles is a TO hire so it wouldn't suprises me that he gets the ax

I believe Tim has won some games that matter...at least I think, since I'm not sure which games matter.

So tired of watching us just dribble the ball around until shot clock runs out and force a bad shot! Move the ball. It looks like we are playing street ball out there!

Miles is probably going to wish he would of done a contract extension after last year! I think he was banking on us having a big year and right now it doesn't look like such a great decision. Should still get a decent raise and extension.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"At the end of the day, you can't make excuses with key injuries, the record is your body of work....and in Tim's case, he didn't win enough of them..."  I can hear a red-headed AD in 2016....(God I hope not)

The silent one, Miles is a TO hire so it wouldn't suprises me that he gets the ax

Ridiculous. Miles is a builder, and he's assembling good pieces going forward. But he's playing with a wounded roster right now that includes Doc's leftovers. It's easy to find coaching mistakes every game, but look at what he has to work with.

Yeahhhhhhhh.....That's why Pelini got fired....because Osborne hired him.  Couldn't be anything else.  :lol:  :lol: :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  

Ridiculous. Miles is a builder, and he's assembling good pieces going forward. But he's playing with a wounded roster right now that includes Doc's leftovers. It's easy to find coaching mistakes every game, but look at what he has to work with.

It's one thing to have coaching mistakes like leaving a player on the floor too long in foul trouble, or wasting a TO or sticking with a zone too long. Yeah, those things happen. But it's unreal how poorly coached we are at breaking the press. It seems like we pee down our legs every time a team does it.

I taped the game and watched this morning. Fortunately there was a gap beginning when we were tied at thirteen until were behind 53-55 so I can't comment much on the game. It did ruin my oatmeal though. It appears that teams now realize they only need to stop two forwards from driving to beat us. Defense looked ok. We can still win two in this tourney if we keep the ball out of Kurkowsi's hands during warmups. I attribute most of our posters' comments to sleep deprivation.

So much this.

If I had to guess at the psychology of it, well, let me start out by saying that last year was for real.  They really were that good.  It wasn't smoke and mirrors.  It was guys playing without fear.  Nothing to lose.  And they were hitting on all cylinders as a result.

Over the off-season, I think they might have built up in their own minds the thought of taking that next step up.  Not just getting to the dance but winning once they got there.  And from the very first exhibition, they've played like they're afraid of losing. 

Walt Pitchford goes from hitting 16 of 25 threes at the open scrimmage to not being able to hit the hit the water falling out of a boat.  I think they started out uncertain of themselves and how to pick up from where they left off.  They started forcing things, hoping balls would drop (especially Terran) and they played scared.  And soft.

And Dean is right, it's mental weakness.  We saw a little chink in the armor with Walt Pitchford's tweets after the NCAA tourney loss last March.  And Terran has always played with his emotion on his sleeve.  Which can be good when he's playing well, but is a disaster waiting to happen if he's not.

This is not an issue of Xs and Os.  This is a matter where the boys just have to dig deep and pick themselves up and dust themselves off and just flat decide we're not going down this way.  Need to find some leadership on this team.  Expect to see if from Benny and Shavon and will be really disappointed if we don't.

Doc's "leftovers" are not the problem with this team.  Not remotely.  Not even sure why you would bring it up.

No boxscore

Postgame Notes
*-Nebraska falls to 2-7 all-time against Hawaii
*-Walter Pitchford posted his first double-double of the season and third of his career with 10 points and 10 rebounds. Pitchford had double-figures rebounds in consecutive outings for the first time in his career.
*-Benny Parker finished with a career-high 12 points, topping his previous best of nine set on two previous occasions.
*-Nebraska falls to 37-3 when leading with 5:00 left under Tim Miles
*-Nebraska falls to 38-7 under Miles when out-shooting an opponent

- that was a very choppy game, and uneven officiating in the second half, not an excuse but in the first, and part of the second, it was very physical down low, multiple times they swallowed their whistle on both sides, than in the last five minutes they got very touchy with their calls down low. 

- I love Tai, one of my favorites...but man.. we need something from him in the worst way. 

- Benny played like one of the only guys who had heart and some intrest in the game. 

- When Shavon, and Terran are not in their flow and are not hitting shots... its almost a guaranteed lost. 

- Count me in for the camp that says this teams identity changes when moses is back, and leslee returns

- Walter needs to seriously have a deep thought about how he wants to turn his season around over Christmas..or this afternoon, when he isn't hitting his shots he could amp up his physicality on the defense of end with boxing out, not letting his get deep position in the post, on offense go up stronger in the post, take more shots from 10 feet and in, be cleaner on his picks. 

- I really like the mins Tarin gave us, glimpse of the future. 

This game similar to the IW game, the cincy game shows how badly we need a classic big man in the middle. I don't know where we are going to find one, or we have to get two different players to make a classic big man but man we got to find one. 

some of my thoughts