Nebraska isn't a good fit for Tai's skillset

Some_Fulla

Sometimes, just sometimes, it takes certain players a year or two to "get" it.  To develop.  Apologies for citing a CU player as an example, but Anthony Tolliver was an absolute bust his first two years, and most of those dumbjay fans wanted to run him out of Omaha.  Needless to say, he developed his final two years.  Tai has what you simply can not teach, coach, or even to a certain extent, develop.  He has a 6'4" body with a long wingspan, great quickness, and a 38" vertical.  He has a desire to help the team. Miles has said repeatedly that he is always working hard and has a great attitude.  He doesn't pout.  He was so emotional late last year because he wanted to be a contributor, and you could tell that it meant a lot, and that it hurt.  So, Athleticism, Character, Hard-working, and determination.  I'll take that anyday.

I don't think he's really 6'4".  I'd believe 6'3" and I suspect more like 6'2".  Long arms?  I assume so.  But 38" vertical?  Darn good if that's so.  Where'd you hear that?  Makes sense given his ability to throw it down.

I don't believe the 38" number. If he's got springs like that, we should be running lobs for him (especially since he's not a point guard anymore). That's a crazy vert number!

Really? 38 is nothing to snicker at but its not overly impressive for a basketball player. I mean, Walt's vert was reported at over 40 at one point and I think Tarin Smith's vert was measured at 42" heading into the season.

In preseason last year, the LJS reported that Gallegos had a 43" vertical and 3 others were above 40" including Walt.  I can't say I have ever seen Tai's vertical reported, but given that he was a stud HS volleyball player(an outside hitter), I would guess he has a really good vertical

Based on my interaction with the players, I can tell you, Tarin Smith is a legitimate 6'2", and Tai Webster is taller than Tarin.  As mentioned, Tai was a stud volleyball player and had some vine videos of him throwing it down before he came here.  In game action, Tai has actually blocked/contested some shots where I would believe he has that vertical.  During the game vs. Sparty, after Petteway's dunk attempt on Dawson clanked about 25' in the air, it was Tai who went way up to grab that ball over Denzel Valentine, who I believe is close to 6'7". From where my seats were, I was looking straight at that play and Tai skied for that ball.  Before last season, at the Big Red tipoff, they had a dunk contest and Walt showed some really nice ups.  At times Walt runs goofy, but I think he can really jump. At times.  

It's clear Tai is better than Fuller, the minutes tell that story.

At this point last year Tai was averaging 27 minutes per game and Benny was averaging 13 per game.  How did that work out for Tai? Now Benny is getting more than 30 minutes a game and I don't know if you have noticed...but Tai's minutes are going down.  I don't know if Fuller is any better than Tai...but I don't think it's as simple as saying...welp...Tai is getting more minutes so obviously he's a better option.

Unfortunately, neither is a real good option right now.

I'm afraid you are correct.

...or not.

I like the fact Miles said he's keeping Tai on the Scout team.   He said he won't be quite as familiar with what we're trying to run, but he'll come in and play his butt off.  Being on the Scout team has allowed Tai freedom to fail.  You're not so worried about making mistakes when making mistakes doesn't have such huge ramifications.

What we've needed is another player besides Shavon or Terran who is willing to take the spot-up treys.  Too many times, the guy getting the kick-out look from three would pass up the shot and pass the ball back to Terran and then Terran has to come up with some freelance kinda thing because, by that point, the shot clock is running down.

If Tai can come in now and be relaxed about taking the shot, it increases his chances of hitting it.  But hit it or not, we need him to take it.  We need someone willing to pull that trigger.

I think being on Scout team lets Tai relax a bit.  He's now supposed to be a volume shooter in practice.  Gets his rhythm back a little bit, builds his confidence.  And, if Michigan State is any prelude to the rest of the season, he's going to step up and hit his fair share of those looks now.

Wouldn't recommend this approach for everyone, but leaving Tai on the Scout team makes a certain amount of sense.

I like the fact Miles said he's keeping Tai on the Scout team.   He said he won't be quite as familiar with what we're trying to run, but he'll come in and play his butt off.  Being on the Scout team has allowed Tai freedom to fail.  You're not so worried about making mistakes when making mistakes doesn't have such huge ramifications.

What we've needed is another player besides Shavon or Terran who is willing to take the spot-up treys.  Too many times, the guy getting the kick-out look from three would pass up the shot and pass the ball back to Terran and then Terran has to come up with some freelance kinda thing because, by that point, the shot clock is running down.

If Tai can come in now and be relaxed about taking the shot, it increases his chances of hitting it.  But hit it or not, we need him to take it.  We need someone willing to pull that trigger.

I think being on Scout team lets Tai relax a bit.  He's now supposed to be a volume shooter in practice.  Gets his rhythm back a little bit, builds his confidence.  And, if Michigan State is any prelude to the rest of the season, he's going to step up and hit his fair share of those looks now.

Wouldn't recommend this approach for everyone, but leaving Tai on the Scout team makes a certain amount of sense.

i think this is the correct mindset as well, the results hopefully continue, Tai stepping up to be a consistent 3rd or 4th scorer changes the dynamic of this team,

The father and son who sit behind me think that way. Don't really watch the game just moan and drop f bombs when we don't make every shot or don't rebound every ball.

They give up when we are up, because it should be more. You should hear them when we are behind.

I feel your pain.  The guy behind me usually brings a really annoyingly loud, completely clueless lady with him, and I swear, they spend 95% of the time moaning and whining about Nebraska vs. cheering for them.  Meanwhile, my 7 year old son who asks me why they use such bad language throughout the game.  I guess some people don't mind dropping numerous F-bomb's in front of kids. Classy. During the MSU game, every time Petteway took a three pointer, they yelled as loudly as they could saying "What the hell are you doing?" the first three times.  The man yelled "stop shooting threes Terran, don't take anymore the rest of the game!"  They also yelled at him on attempts 4 and 5, which he drained back to back.  Of course, both started cheering when they went in.  I was really tempted to turn around and say, "I'm sure glad Mr. Petteway didn't listen to your crappy advice about not shooting anymore threes...."  SMH.    

The dad id like 60 ish and his son is in his 30 's. I can cuss with the best of them and so can my sons, but we do know there is a time and place and the Vault is nether the time nor place.

My sons our in their 20's so they can speak for themselves. But there was a younger kid sitting next to them and it didn't seem to stop them.

Best thing is that they leave with two minutes to go in the half and at the end of the game, so we get at least 4 minutes of rest form them.;)

This is why I don't like to go to our football games anymore and pray that it won't leak over into basketball.  Players should play, coaches coach and fans cheer.  Break it down on message boards all you want and many fans are very smart and can do so.  Don't yell it out because no one that matters can hear you and don't lace it with profanity because its unnecessary.