Keys to the game this Thursday

Let me try this again, the first time the website timed out on me. I must say we look much better than I ever anticipated. We have not been playing world beaters but I'm very impressed with Miles thus far and how the kids have bought into his system on both ends of the court. I'm not sure if it will reflect in the win/loss column at years end but everyone has to be pretty upbeat about our future under Coach Miles.

1. Make someone not named Mcdermott beat you- Obviously this is probably easier said than done. Mcdermott is a very good player and will get his shots but id much rather force the ball out of his hands. He is not that great when pressured with double teams. Outside of Mcdermott Creighton is not loaded with talent. In fact, id say outside of Mcdermott both teams are pretty comparable to each other. I'd much rather live with Creighton living with the three ball rather than giving up easy buckets down low to Mcdermott.

2. Limit turnovers- We played well vs USC but had quite a few bad turnovers. Would like to see those cut in half. Most of them seemed to be from Talley who appears to be pressing a little bit. He probably feels the need to score but he needs to play smarter basketball. No need to force shots.

3. Gallegos en fuego- Rey appears to be a very streaky player. Hopefully we can get him on track early and often. We will need him to have another good game because we simply don't have alot of scoring options. Creighton really doesn't have anyone who can defend him if hes on as Creighton is not all that athletic as a team.

4. Ubel and Almeida playing smart- This needs to continue. Thus far we have not really had to deal with foul trouble with the two big men and that needs to continue to be the case because we don't have anyone behind them. I like David Rivers game but he is obvioulsy not a true big man

We will have to play our most complete game to win Thursday but its doable is Creighton is not unbeatable. Hopefully they fall in love with the three ball like normal. I'd rather live with our chances with them shooting all night rather than Mcdermott beating us down low.

I can live with McDermott getting his, I'm much more worried about Wragge going off for a career high.

If we can keep the rest of the team for only scoring in the 30 total we have a chance.

Wragge will probably shoot around 9 shots. All three pointers. He is a one trick pony just like half of their roster. The key will be making him go 3-9 instead of 6-9. We will need the ball to bounce our way at home, if so we will stand a chance in the end.

This is simply not true. Creighton has way more depth than Nebraska does.

Sure....we have what, 8 scholorship players playing? Of course Creighton doesn't really play all that "depth." They essentially have an 8 man rotation. So if Creighton is forced to use that "depth" then they are either blowing us out or are in foul trouble. If Mcdermott wants to add guys like Artino, Groeselle, and Yates to their rotation this Thursday....by all means do so.

Transition defense and defensive rebounding.

Creighton will run you to death if you get lazy on defense and they crash the boards offensively.

What happens when they take Echinique out and have Wragge and McDermott at the 4 and 5? That's a bad match-up for Almedia, though it could be a decent one for NU on the other end.

Ubel did a pretty good job of defending McDermott last year until the technical foul craziness We'll need that to happen again.

Outside of Mcdermott Creighton is not loaded with talent. In fact, id say outside of Mcdermott both teams are pretty comparable to each other. I'd much rather live with Creighton living with the three ball rather than giving up easy buckets down low to Mcdermott.

I'd have to disagree. Gibbs, Wragge, Enrichy (as Miles said last night) are all going to be tough matchups. If there is any chance NU has to play a perfect game by staying out of foul trouble, limiting turnovers, and hoping for some CU foul trouble, and hoping CU is cold from the 3. They are a deep team and have the ability to go 10 to 11 deep if needed. I just want to see a competitive game and not have to listen to all the bluejay fans all game.

Outside of Mcdermott Creighton is not loaded with talent. In fact, id say outside of Mcdermott both teams are pretty comparable to each other. I'd much rather live with Creighton living with the three ball rather than giving up easy buckets down low to Mcdermott.

I'd have to disagree. Gibbs, Wragge, Enrichy (as Miles said last night) are all going to be tough matchups. If there is any chance NU has to play a perfect game by staying out of foul trouble, limiting turnovers, and hoping for some CU foul trouble, and hoping CU is cold from the 3. They are a deep team and have the ability to go 10 to 11 deep if needed. I just want to see a competitive game and not have to listen to all the bluejay fans all game.

Gibbs has little to zero offensive game...force him to shoot the ball. He is not going to out athlete Talley. Like I said earlier, Wragge is a one trick pony. All he cares about is shooting the three ball. He will be a tough matchup IF we decide to keep Almeida in the game when hes on the court...but I doubt we do that. Rivers should be able to do fine defensively vs him. Echenique will be a problem if Almeida gets in foul trouble....if not it should be a interesting matchup with Almeida winning the size battle.

The game will be dictated on how the officials decide to call the game...and if Creighton hits open looks. They haven't been able to do that the past few times at the Devaney. Lets hope that remains true this Thursday.

Anyone else notice we haven't had any posts from our Creighton friends today?

I'm not trying to imply anything here, nor am I saying it's good or bad, I just thought it was interesting.

I hope they don't wait until after the Jays lay the smack down on our 'Skers to come on here and talk junk...

I can live with McDermott getting his, I'm much more worried about Wragge going off for a career high.

If we can keep the rest of the team for only scoring in the 30 total we have a chance.

Yep, I agree. So long as some other kid doesn't go off for a career night, then McDermott can have his 20 points and we can still be in it. But if, as so often happened in the past, their star gets his usual but we make someone else look like an All-American, we're in trouble. And, make no mistake, Creighton has a lot of weapons. We almost have to hope they have a bit of an off night.

Gibbs, Wragge, Enrichy (as Miles said last night) are all going to be tough matchups.

Yes, Miles called Echinique "Enrique." And the Creighton fanbase that heard it probably did a collective swoon. Or, if they didn't hear it while listening to the Miles post-game, someone probably posted a link to the webcast on their board. And, I'm sorry, but mispronouncing one of their player's names is an insult up with which they shall not put. And that EVIL guy with the overbite who coaches Nebraska almost certainly did it on purpose.

I'm tellin' ya. That's as bad as saying that the Mo Valley is a mid-major conference. Worse, even. That's WORSE than calling the Mo Valley a mid-major conference because calling the Mo Valley a mid-major conference is at least TRUE! What Miles said last night about Gregory is NOT TRUE! His last name is NOT Enrique. Therefore, not only is Tim Miles a beedy-eyed coach at Nebraska (which is bad enough, y'know what I'm sayin'?) but he's a liar! A LIAR! Because "Enrique" is NOT Gregory Echinique's last name. It just isn't. It's too bad Husker people have to lie like that.

BTW, did I misspell Echinique? They'll probably be really pissed at me if I did.

Yes, Miles called Echinique "Enrique." And the Creighton fanbase that heard it probably did a collective swoon. Or, if they didn't hear it while listening to the Miles post-game, someone probably posted a link to the webcast on their board. And, I'm sorry, but mispronouncing one of their player's names is an insult up with which they shall not put. And that EVIL guy with the overbite who coaches Nebraska almost certainly did it on purpose.

I'm tellin' ya. That's as bad as saying that the Mo Valley is a mid-major conference. Worse, even. That's WORSE than calling the Mo Valley a mid-major conference because calling the Mo Valley a mid-major conference is at least TRUE! What Miles said last night about Gregory is NOT TRUE! His last name is NOT Enrique. Therefore, not only is Tim Miles a beedy-eyed coach at Nebraska (which is bad enough, y'know what I'm sayin'?) but he's a liar! A LIAR! Because "Enrique" is NOT Gregory Echinique's last name. It just isn't. It's too bad Husker people have to lie like that.

BTW, did I misspell Echinique? They'll probably be really pissed at me if I did.

Darn it, I got it wrong, I thought it was Enrichy but you are correct

That's pretty close, but it's Echenique, Norm. The touchiness point is taken, though. I would argue that both fan bases perpetually overreact to perceived slights and insults, but I get that this is the site for the Creighton insecurities to be mentioned.

I have a hard time seeing how Nebraska wins this game, but I did not see the Boise State result coming, either. Because of that loss, and Nebraska's last two wins, my guess is that most Creighton fans are more fearful than they would have been a week ago, but still expect victory. Whatever the case, I'm sure that the Devaney will be filled with two sets of fans ready to be more obnoxious to the other set than is sensible and warranted. Since I expect a Creighton win, the likely behavior from the fans in blue that will simply give more ammo to those of you who have mostly negative views of Jays fans. Oh well.

Can't say I agree with a lot of the points on this thread, but I agree more with those who have suggested that the guys not named McDermott are more likely to win the game than Doug alone. Although it took a lot of minutes, Doug got his scoring average against Boise. But, Echenique and the role players had poor to terrible games. Only Gibbs came to play. That's likely to happen a time or two again this season, but I doubt it will happen twice in a little over a week. I tend to think Ubel will do well against Doug, but that the Huskers lack the offense to hang with the Jays, even if the Jays have an off night. Boise is probably not even a top-half MWC team this year, but they played out of their offensive minds at a level that I do not think is possible for this year's NU team.

Haven't seen mention of Jones or Chatman here, but both guys have had some big moments thus far this year (and some rough patches, too). I would have liked to see Jones and Biggs play one of these games at the same time.

For any fan base that thought it funny to call our old coach "Slingblade" to be mad about what we cal there players by accident is a laugh.

I see that our old "friend" ddjay is at it on tweeter. He was retweeted by Nebraskaball, so I checked out his tweeter page and he is even farther out there then when he used to try to come here and troll. This is it.\:

Nebrasketball@DevaneyDungeon

@JohnBishop71 @DoubleJayAlum Gotta love a "Creighton fan" more concerned about hating the #Huskers than anything else. #GivesJaysBadRap

Kind of miss Royal tearing him a new one weekly.

by the way is that tweet from you dimes?

Did you read these 2 gems?

Jason King@JasonKingESPN

Huge recruiting news for Nebraska, as four-star PG Tai Webster - a NewZealand native - makes it official and signs LOI, sources tell ESPNcom

Creighton_Billy_Bluejay_normal.jpgDouble Jay@DoubleJayAlum

@JasonKingESPN Didn't the LOI signing period end a month ago?

and this one:

Gary Sharp@GarySharp1620

Erik Strickland leading cheers from the Red Zone now returns to seat next to the Webster family.

Creighton_Billy_Bluejay_normal.jpgDouble Jay@DoubleJayAlum

@GarySharp1620 Sitting with a recruits family? Hello NCAA recruiting violation.

I do miss the daily laughs. Most likely $120,000 education and this is what you get. Priceless.