Katz Talks Huskers

joshvanklomp

3. Nebraska crushed USC on Monday after taking apart Wake Forest. Neither of those teams will be in the NCAA tournament. But keep an eye on Nebraska. Tim Miles has steadily climbed the coaching ladder from North Dakota State to Colorado State to Nebraska for a reason. He can coach. He can motivate. And he can build. The Huskers have given up 63 points in a game only once this season, when Kent State beat them with 74. I didn't pick Nebraska over Creighton, scheduled for Thursday, as my upset of the week, but I thought about it. The Huskers have a legit shot to upset the Bluejays in a rivalry game if they can defend like they did against USC. Miles would certainly earn state cred if he were to take down Creighton in his first game in the rivalry.

http://espn.go.com/blog/collegebasketballnation/post/_/id/69061/3-point-shot-aztecs-loading-up-for-2013

Funny thing is I said the same thing at the game last night! If we can defend like we have, hit some 3's and keep attacking, I think we can beat the Creighton Cannaries as well!! Also, we need another spirited effort from the Red Zone, they were awesome last night and hopefully that is just a sign of how every game will be from now on! It definately makes the game day atmosphere alot better when the students are going crazy and the rest of the crowd is rowdy as well!!

Funny thing is I said the same thing at the game last night! If we can defend like we have, hit some 3's and keep attacking, I think we can beat the Creighton Cannaries as well!! Also, we need another spirited effort from the Red Zone, they were awesome last night and hopefully that is just a sign of how every game will be from now on! It definately makes the game day atmosphere alot better when the students are going crazy and the rest of the crowd is rowdy as well!!

Can the University just have a bring a friend night every night?

Traditionally this program hasn't handled success well. Just when the fanbase starts stirring, things come crashing down. Last night was fun, but let's not go crazy just yet...

I don't disagree whatsoever...but last night (for whatever reason) was an extreme high for me. That was as much fun I have had at a game for an extended period of time. No worries, just exciting and fun to be a part of. I was also proud of the students and the fan base as a whole. We turned out and made a difference...at least I think we did.

When expectations are exceeded, it makes for happy times. The results may turn tomorrow, or next week, but the feelings I have now are wonderful. Without being too sappy, I think I can explain why...THE FUTURE LOOKS VERY BRIGHT. Thank you team, thank you coaching staff and thank you, in particular, Coach Miles.

I don't disagree whatsoever...but last night (for whatever reason) was an extreme high for me. That was as much fun I have had at a game for an extended period of time. No worries, just exciting and fun to be a part of. I was also proud of the students and the fan base as a whole. We turned out and made a difference...at least I think we did.

When expectations are exceeded, it makes for happy times. The results may turn tomorrow, or next week, but the feelings I have now are wonderful. Without being too sappy, I think I can explain why...THE FUTURE LOOKS VERY BRIGHT. Thank you team, thank you coaching staff and thank you, in particular, Coach Miles.

And Tim Miles says thank you!

Agree with this - but I do see the danger in people getting overly excited at this point, particularly those who have not followed the program closely. CU is much better than USC and it would take another over the top performance to bring home a victory Thursday. Not saying it can't happen - but for this group to beat CU even on our home floor is more than anyone should expect. Just remember even if we lose Thursday the "future looks very bright" statement will still be true. I am very confident that this will be the last time we play Creighton in Lincoln where I do not expect us to win - and also think next year might be the last time we play them in Omaha where I don't expect to win. Miles will return us to the pre-Collier days where it was no big deal to beat CU - just something we expected to do nearly all the time.

If Ray is on, we can stay in the gym with anybody outside the top 10. The only person on the floor who can stop Ray is Ray. He is sooooo quick and gets such great elevation on his shots that he will be able to get them off. The only question is whether they go down or not. And, if he's on, he will allow us to be competitive. In a way, he reminds me this year of the kid from Kansas State a couple of years ago who had the same ability. Not the one kid. The other kid. The one from Florida or wherever. Not the one whose name was, like, Plunk or Flunk or Punk, but the kid whose name was, like, Ceasar or something. That's the guy. He could get his shot off whenever he wanted to and, when he was hitting it, K-State was very tough to beat. Ray is like that.

If Ray is on, we can stay in the gym with anybody outside the top 10. The only person on the floor who can stop Ray is Ray. He is sooooo quick and gets such great elevation on his shots that he will be able to get them off. The only question is whether they go down or not. And, if he's on, he will allow us to be competitive. In a way, he reminds me this year of the kid from Kansas State a couple of years ago who had the same ability. Not the one kid. The other kid. The one from Florida or wherever. Not the one whose name was, like, Plunk or Flunk or Punk, but the kid whose name was, like, Ceasar or something. That's the guy. He could get his shot off whenever he wanted to and, when he was hitting it, K-State was very tough to beat. Ray is like that.

And on the right night, we might be able to stay with one of those top 10 teams.

I'm sorry, I'm not trying to temper enthusiasm I've just been down this road before. I'm a little guarded still. Last night was pretty fun, though! Hope for more of the same on Thursday!

Denis Clemente?

I'm very happy with the start of this year for our Huskers. If this year's team steal an unexpected win or two (Creighton would be HUGE!) and avoid more than a couple of disappointing losses (either against teams we could have beaten or blowout losses against teams we shouldn't beat), this season will be a success IMO. However, we will live on a razor's edge. Any number of things that would just challenge a team ordinarily could really devastate us. We don't have that many offensive guns in our holster so if Ray has an off night.... And our thin red line of talent could snap if Ubel or Talley or ________________ (fill in your blank) gets slowed by injury.... Or... Or...

The FUTURE is bright for our program but my expectations for THIS SEASON are still very tempered.