Big Red Tip-Off

HuskerActuary

It was real hard to come aaway with any nuggets for you guys, because there was really no defense involved

Few things that I came away with that I feel I should mention

1.  Tai Websters last three point basket was from NBA range and he drilled it.  After shooting it he pointed to Miles and smiled.  I basically got the feeling that he was saying "Look at the confidence I have now!

2.  Hammond has a ways to go.  At one point it looked like he was going to do a reverse Jam and threw it over the basket.  I hope some of the things I saw from him was because of the style of play that was going on at the scrimmage didn't suite him

3. Tarin Smith looks like spud webb when he jumps... that it all :D

4.  Walter Pitchford looks really really good!  He was drilling just about everything and going 16-25 in the 3 point competition is nuts!!!  He hit 10 in row it was the highlight of the night for me

5.  The athleticism on this team is freakish.  I think everyone on the team can dunk... except Menke of course

6. All of Petteways points were dunks... I think he had 5 dunks and a 3 tonight.  Very tough to gauge from the defense tonight

7.  Really disapointed they split up the autographs tonight.  I had a great idea to have the team sign my season tickets, but was only able to get 1/2 of them signed.  Ruined my idea.  Hopefully I can get the rest to sign them at some point.

Petteway is Spaghetti Works - good, fills you up, wide variety, food just keeps coming and coming and coming until you've had enough. Can get a little sloppy.

White is Vincenzo's. Fine dining, everything on the menu is good.

No, no, you got that all wrong.

Spaghetti works is more like the Div II Player of the Year.  It's good but it's not THAT good.

Petteway is Valentino's Buffet.  Great tasting food and so much.  Sometimes they're out of stuff and you have to wait for the next tray of lasagna, and it can get messy at times.

White is like Spezia in Omaha.  Really fine Italian dining.  Primo.

(Sorry, but Vincenzo's is more like the Sunbelt Conference Player of the Year:  It's good.  No, really, it's pretty good.  It's not bad.)

Obviously you couldn't get much from last night.....but man are we so much more athletic than years past!  I remember going to some practices in the past where a guy like Holley, Marks, Balham stood out like a sore thump on athleticism, but not great talents.  Now we have guys that are athletic as heck AND talented basketball players.  Its very refreshing! 

I also thought Benny looked bigger last night and was strong with the ball getting to the rim.  Granted, the defense was nothing to get excited about, but he looked quick getting into the lane.

This should be a fun ride this year and I can't wait!

The fact that we actually will be disappointed with losses this year shows how far we have come.  Just a few years ago it almost felt satisfying to "stay close" and have a shot at the end.  Now I fully expect us to compete in almost every game.  Granted you will have nights where it just isn't clicking, but I think with our athleticism and length we can always stay in games on defense alone.

So what's this about Leslee Smith breaking Fuller's nose? Leslee is actually practicing? I can't believe that would be true... perhaps he is practicing in an extremely limited capacity?

Miles made a comment and it sounded like yesterday was Leslee's first day back at 'practice'. Sounded like it happened in a post drill though so who knows but I would doubt he's cleared as a full go participant yet.

I was fairly impressed with the freshman Smith. He didn't do a lot but just the way he presented himself on the court, he knew what was going on and didn't look like the typical freshman. You can tell he's ultra athletic.

Benny's stroke on the 3 that he splashed looked fantastic. You can tell he's really worked on his shot. If he can even be a threat to shoot, that is going to help the offense immensely when he's on the floor. He also had some lightning moves to the basket against the token defense.

It's too bad that more people couldn't have been there (Weds night b/c of Halloween Friday and then the Royals).   I hope it wasn't underwhelming for the players.  I'm sure they understand the circumstances.   Anyone remember how many people were there last year ?

Tear'a is a crazy athlete.   She can boggie around like a dude.