2016 PF/C Jordy Tshimanga - Signed

trickey

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure if there's anything to this, but at the end of the Horne article in today's OWH, Lee B listed 2 players NU is pursuing for its final '16 scholarship in this order:

Tshimanga

Gak

He then added that Bassett has NU in his final 5, but it almost seemed like he listed it as an afterthought. 

Not sure if these are the final players NU is seriously looking at or if the order he listed them means anything, but I suppose it is possible the coaches "unofficially" gave Lee B a hint or two about the remaining targets.

Robin Washut says he "would bet" on a big man via the Division I transfer route.

When would such a transfer be available? Wouldn't that guy have to sit out a year? And if they don't transfer until after this year, that means they wouldn't be available for the next two seasons. I doubt we're looking at trying to get some guy for two years from now who isn't a high school junior.

I'd guess it's possible if NU doesn't land one of its top remaining targets for the early signing period that they look at a December D-I transfer, weighing that type of player versus who might be available for the late signing period. 

Ultimately, I'd guess NU will be pretty picky with this last scholarship in terms of signing someone in November, using a December D-I transfer as the backup plan.

So do they have anyone in particular in mind as a transfer or is that just a back-up plan if neither of the current targets bites?

A mention like that implies a known entity. I'm sure we're still pursuing our 2016 recruits because we have to be dumb not to.

I have zero on this but what if SMU's Markus Kennedy, who went to Brewster Academy, was to graduate from SMU (assuming he hasn't already since he's a 5th year redshirt)?

So do they have anyone in particular in mind as a transfer or is that just a back-up plan if neither of the current targets bites?

A mention like that implies a known entity. I'm sure we're still pursuing our 2016 recruits because we have to be dumb not to.

I have zero on this but what if SMU's Markus Kennedy, who went to Brewster Academy, was to graduate from SMU (assuming he hasn't already since he's a 5th year redshirt)?

Brief mention of Markus Kennedy... http://hoopshabit.com/2015/09/29/ncaa-bans-smu-postseason-suspends-coach-larry-brown/

Well, if, by some chance, we could get Markus Kennedy in here, it would HAVE to be for THIS year, not next.  And I'd be OK with that, like totally.  (He's already transferred once, from Nova to SMU, so he doesn't have time to sit out another year.)

But that still leaves a spot for next year.  And we still need a center.

So, Swan's scenario via Robin Washut, and the scenario whereby we still pursue HS options, are not mutually exclusive. 

I would LOVE to get some guy in here on a transfer basis right now.  If he could swing it, he'd be eligible to play against Samford on 12/20, which means he'd miss 12 games but he'd be able to play for the entire conference season.  And he'd be eligible for post-season play, which is a better deal than if he'd stayed at SMU.

Adding a 6'9" 245# proven stud center to this roster would most definitely not suck.

• 3 months later...

From a July 11 Rivals report:

Playing alongside Horne all week, Tshimanga provided a big body with power to match down low. The lefty was strong in the paint, and while he wasn't flashy playing mostly below the rim, he was a bully on the glass, recording nearly seven rebounds per game.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bump of Horne and Tshimanga being teammates in AAU