2016 PF/C Jordy Tshimanga - Signed

trickey

If this kid can play, it'd be nice to get him and a JUCO C.

Wouldn't disagree, but where do we get the scholarships?

TBD. We've seen attrition every year, I'd imagine we'll see it again.

I have no doubt we'll see it again this year.  Miles isn't going to keep a player not contributing and lose out on a player that can contribute.  It's probably never a fun conversation but this is Big Boy basketball.  Unless kids like Hammond can magically get a lot better in the off-season, he is going to find more pine time than court time.

I have no doubt we'll see it again this year.  Miles isn't going to keep a player not contributing and lose out on a player that can contribute.  It's probably never a fun conversation but this is Big Boy basketball.  Unless kids like Hammond can magically get a lot better in the off-season, he is going to find more pine time than court time.

We also have to remember that Hammond did not redshirt, so he can use that as his transfer year. Fuller on the other hand would have to go to a lower level.

Anyone know why he didn't sign anywhere in November early signing period?

Would love to see him take that last scholarship we have!

I think he was waiting to see if he got any better offers, don't quote me on that, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere. If that was the case he benefited with the delay, as he's gaining the offers/interest now.

Anyone know why he didn't sign anywhere in November early signing period?

Would love to see him take that last scholarship we have!

I think he was waiting to see if he got any better offers, don't quote me on that, but I think I remember seeing that somewhere. If that was the case he benefited with the delay, as he's gaining the offers/interest now.

Thanks - makes sense - it seems like big kids often are in huge demand for the late signing period. Plus big kids sometimes may suddenly show improvement in their senior year. So it makes sense for some of them to wait and see, rather than signing in November.

Should anyone try to join the party late, I just hope he remembers who has been recruiting him a long time.  ;)

Miles isn't going to kick a kid out of the program. He'll be painfully honest with them, but he won't force them out. He could have done that a handful of times and hasn't. Sometimes the kid gets the message and moves on and sometimes they decide to stick it out (Benny). He'll have a couple of those conversations after the season. We'll see what the result ends up being.

The Scout article linked in the tweet above says this:

Tshimanga’s brother, Yannick Tshimanga, who is helping him with his recruitment, said that school interest is picking up. Tshimanga currently has scholarship offers from PittsburghVirginia TechBaylorProvidenceNebraska and SMU, plus interest from Wake Forest

“We aren’t really worried about the biggest school, we want to get to somewhere where he can get an opportunity to play as a freshman,” Yannick told Scout. “That’s our main thing and he’s come a long way.”

At this point, Tshimanga hasn’t taken any college visits, but those are coming soon.

“We are going to start next month,” Yannick said. “What we wanted to do, was get his academics right.”

“I know for sure we are going to visit Pitt and I know we’ll visit Nebraska,” he added.

We learn from the foregoing that, (i) getting "his academics right" has been important, and (ii) he is looking for "an opportunity to play as a freshman."

This latter point may explain why Tim Miles & Co. are having a hard time recruiting a true Center:  both of the two people getting 100% of the minutes at Center in recent games are freshmen and, while both are regarded as power forwards, they never play side-by-side--it's either one or the other on the floor at any time [perhaps my observations/memory on this point are faulty?]. 

So, if I'm a Center and looking to come here, I'm wondering:  "From where (or whom) will my minutes come next year?"  "Will I push either Morrow or Jacobson to the four?"  I'd have some concerns and doubts.

The Scout article linked in the tweet above says this:

Tshimanga’s brother, Yannick Tshimanga, who is helping him with his recruitment, said that school interest is picking up. Tshimanga currently has scholarship offers from PittsburghVirginia TechBaylorProvidenceNebraska and SMU, plus interest from Wake Forest

“We aren’t really worried about the biggest school, we want to get to somewhere where he can get an opportunity to play as a freshman,” Yannick told Scout. “That’s our main thing and he’s come a long way.”

At this point, Tshimanga hasn’t taken any college visits, but those are coming soon.

“We are going to start next month,” Yannick said. “What we wanted to do, was get his academics right.”

“I know for sure we are going to visit Pitt and I know we’ll visit Nebraska,” he added.

We learn from the foregoing that, (i) getting "his academics right" has been important, and (ii) he is looking for "an opportunity to play as a freshman."

This latter point may explain why Tim Miles & Co. are having a hard time recruiting a true Center:  both of the two people getting 100% of the minutes at Center in recent games are freshmen and, while both are regarded as power forwards, they never play side-by-side--it's either one or the other on the floor at any time [perhaps my observations/memory on this point are faulty?]. 

So, if I'm a Center and looking to come here, I'm wondering:  "From where (or whom) will my minutes come next year?"  "Will I push either Morrow or Jacobson to the four?"  I'd have some concerns and doubts.

Good points Swan. Guess you have to sell him that those two guys are playing out of postion right now and things would change if he came here. Trust has to be a big issue here, to trust them that he would earn minutes if he is good enough. But that those minutes would be there starting next year.