Ben Coupet - 2016 SF

Nebrasketballer

I would think that Nebraska will get pretty involved with him now. ESPN ranks him as a 4-Star and the #13 Small Forward in the 2016 class. He has tweeted and retweeted most everything about Ed Morrow's commitment. He is another Simeon / Mac Irvin Fire prospect.

https://twitter.com/benc_1/status/514082196584665088

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/171097/ben-coupet

I do not remember him here...odd.  Also, the following would not bode well for us...

Ben later signed with one of the Big Ten elite programs Illinois academics kept him from enrolling, which caused him to become a Prop 48. Ben Coupet also signed a letter of intent to Nebraska in the Big 8, NCAA violation moved him after a year. Having every school in the country to choose from, Ben Coupet picked BU Braves home of NBA legend Hersey Hawkins. The basketball world was in shock at his choice, but from day one Jim Molinari and Ben Coupet never saw eye to eye.

I do not remember him here...odd.  Also, the following would not bode well for us...

Ben later signed with one of the Big Ten elite programs Illinois academics kept him from enrolling, which caused him to become a Prop 48. Ben Coupet also signed a letter of intent to Nebraska in the Big 8, NCAA violation moved him after a year. Having every school in the country to choose from, Ben Coupet picked BU Braves home of NBA legend Hersey Hawkins. The basketball world was in shock at his choice, but from day one Jim Molinari and Ben Coupet never saw eye to eye.

The entire last sentence doesn't really fit together and this entire entry is poorly written. I'd take it with a grain of salt.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/gabriel-james-bump/the-chicago-people-live-f_1_b_3957233.html

Mentions father played at UNL and Bradley and was 7 feet tall.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

The elder Coupet did sign, but never played for Nebraska.  Here's a little background from OWH archives.

Nee's Goal: Recruit Big Men
Omaha World-Herald (NE) - Friday, September 11, 1992
Author: Lee Barfknecht, World - Herald Bureau

Danny Nee's Nebraska basketball recruiters hit the road today with big men on their minds.  "We're totally committed to 4s and 5s," Nee said Thursday, referring to power forwards and centers. "We want guys 6 - 8 or bigger."

The reason is that of the 11 Huskers on the roster, the tallest four are juniors or seniors. They are 6 - foot - 10 senior center Derrick Chandler, 6 - 8 junior forward Amos Gregory, 6 - 8 junior forward Tom Best and 6 - 7 junior forward Bruce Chubick.

Height, Nee said, is the reason Nebraska decided not to offer a scholarship to Osita Nwachukwu from Nigeria.  Nwachukwu visited Lincoln in early August. The Huskers became aware of the 18 - year - old African club player through coaching contacts at Notre Dame and Wisconsin.  Nee said early reports on the Nigerian indicated he was 6 - 11.  "After I got him on the phone, he told me he was 6 - 8," Nee said. "When he got here, he was 6 - 6 or 6 - 7.  "He's a real nice kid. But he didn't fit our plans."  Nwachukwu also was considering LaSalle, St. Joseph's and Jacksonville, but might enroll in an American prep school.

One player Nebraska did sign - 6 - 9 center Ben Coupet from Chicago - hasn't enrolled anywhere.  "He's kind of in never - never land," Nee said. "He didn't enroll at the junior college he was supposed to, either.

"He still wants to come here, but it's impossible right now."  Coupet , who must sit a year for not meeting Proposition 48, was to have enrolled at Indian Hills (Iowa) Community College. At Chicago Simeon, Coupet made the Chicago Sun - Times 20 - man all - area team, which encompasses 250 schools.

It could go either way with Molinari and Coupet Sr.  Coupet Sr. could say "Coach Molinari was right, and I should have listened."  Molinari could say "I was too rigid in my coaching back then."  OR they could simply exchange mutual F'U's and move on.  

What if Coupet Sr. and Jr. really like Miles?  (Always a possibility).  What if Coupet Sr. always wishes he had been able to qualify at Nebraska and really wants Coupet Jr. to go?

Too many possibilities here with very little information.  

1.  Does Nebraska even have interest in Coupet Jr.?

2.  Would Coupet Jr. fit Nebraska's needs for the 2016 class?  I would expect Miles to want another combo PG and at least 1 big man.  

Depending on his growth I dont see him being the greatest fit for 2016, at this moment, with Morrow being similar in size as well as Pinder still being a commit.  Obviously things change but there would be quite a few guys with similar size (Morrow, Fuller, Pinder, White) all vying for maybe a couple spots.

Potential 2016-2017 lineup w/ terran, shavon, walt graduating:

PG: Watson (soph)

SG: Webster (senior)?

SF: Andrew White (senior)

PF: Morrow (soph)

C: ?

He could learn from white his first year here (if he continues to play SF at his listed height 6'6) and fill in his spot the following year

actually SF Arop will be here by then, but what if he stays 6'4? he might switch to SG, leaving the SF spot open still

He could learn from white his first year here (if he continues to play SF at his listed height 6'6) and fill in his spot the following year

actually SF Arop will be here by then, but what if he stays 6'4? he might switch to SG, leaving the SF spot open still

Gosh, I am still trying to figure out whether or not we will regress this year...

Predicting the '15-'16 year seems akin to fully grasping advanced calculus...

Predicting two years from now is more like mastering Einstein's general theory of relativity...

which will have been around for a century next year...and I still have not figured it out!

So how do I comment on this?

PS...I am 100% positive we will win a national championship within the next decade!

In Miles We Trust!

GATA    ;)

Jacob Hammond will start at center for the team you list above. People underestimate how good Jacob will be. While he played lower level competition his senior year at Commache, OK, everyone forgets he led Sunrise Academy in scoring his Jr year. And I believe that was their number 1 team, and nationally ranked in the top 10.