The Hype is Growing

HuskerActuary

Holy moly.  Hype and attention is probably good for the program, but I worry a little about unrealistic expectations it can create in the fanbase.  We were awfully fortunate a year ago to get where we did, and I wouldn't be surprised if we had a better team but a worse record (or same) this year.  #11 is out of control, even if its just one silly magazine.

Holy moly.  Hype and attention is probably good for the program, but I worry a little about unrealistic expectations it can create in the fanbase.  We were awfully fortunate a year ago to get where we did, and I wouldn't be surprised if we had a better team but a worse record (or same) this year.  #11 is out of control, even if its just one silly magazine.

I absolutely agree. I think we should be ranked right around 25th. Very curious to see where we end up in the official preseason polls when they are released next month.

Yeahhhh, I think we will be a good team but #11 overall and #2 in the Big10 is probably a bit generous right now.  But, it doesn't hurt in the eyes of recruits. 

We aren't a top 10 team to start the season.  Or top 11.  I'd be happy if we found a spot in the top 25, but I wouldn't be offended if we were simply among other teams receiving votes.  But we're not top 10.  Or top 11.  And we should banish such silly thoughts from our heads.

We have a lot of good things going for us right now and I think we'll be a good team again, but Michigan, Michigan St, and Ohio State didn't stop recruiting and didn't concede any games.  Neither did Indiana.  Or Minnesota.  Or Purdue.  Or ... you get the picture.  I wouldn't pick us 2nd in the conference and I would be surprised if we finish that high.

I would be happy to finish top 4 again and get another trip to the dance with a 7 seed or better.  We have some good players but we don't have top 100 talent up and down the roster like many of the teams that will be in front of us, of which there are more than 10.

I like the hype. It's good for recruiting and for getting out fan base excited. Plus, it's not like Terran is going to start taking it easy because we're ranked high. After getting a taste of success last year and the way the season ended, I think our guys will be hungrier than ever.

Exactly.

Guys, we have a really good returning team on our hands here. Improved returning parts, additional parts in areas of need with basically the same chemistry. We should pick up right where we left off and shouldn't have the figuring it out process and sluggish start we had last year.

I don't expect to end up #11 but it wouldn't surprise me if this team ended up there. Does the #11 ranking seem a little ridiculous? Yes. But this team has the potential to do that. It seems ridiculous that Nebraska is up there but somebody has to be. These preseason rankings are guesses at best. Every year there are teams that reach their potential and others that completely flop. Just remember that every year some teams get placed this high based on their name only. The biggest takeaway from this is that somebody thinks we have the potential to be ranked that high based on talent, coaching, etc.

ajb, I'm good with top 25.  That puts us at about a 5 or 6 seed in next year's NCAA tourney and I'd be good wit that.  Yes, we should be improved.  Yes, our pieces that return should be incrementally improved, and we've found some additional pieces.  But, outside of Petteway, we don't have NBA talent. 

It'll be very interesting to see what MIles can do with these guys and I think he should feel flattered by the #11 ranking.  But I don't think we're there quite yet.  Not in the pre-season.  I think top 25 can be justified but I don't think top 11 can be.

This. Hate to say it, but finishing the regular season in the Top 25 would exceed my expectations for next year. Don't let that undermine the achievement they could still accomplish; it's entirely possible for the team to make the Sweet 16.

This. Hate to say it, but finishing the regular season in the Top 25 would exceed my expectations for next year. Don't let that undermine the achievement they could still accomplish; it's entirely possible for the team to make the Sweet 16.

With a worse record as last year. I think our schedule is going to be tougher and we ain't gonna surprize anybody this year. But I don't think we will lay any eggs like we did last year. And we should have a better pre season tournament this year because we have been together longer. Just hope the frenzy can stay with the casual fan, because we need them as much as us die hards.

ajb, I'm good with top 25. That puts us at about a 5 or 6 seed in next year's NCAA tourney and I'd be good wit that. Yes, we should be improved. Yes, our pieces that return should be incrementally improved, and we've found some additional pieces. But, outside of Petteway, we don't have NBA talent.

It'll be very interesting to see what MIles can do with these guys and I think he should feel flattered by the #11 ranking. But I don't think we're there quite yet. Not in the pre-season. I think top 25 can be justified but I don't think top 11 can be.

I definitely don't think the #11 ranking is justified at all. And like you said, Miles (and fans) should be flattered and the bottom line is, like I said in my previous post, that somebody thinks we have the talent, coaching, etc to be #11.

I personally don't care where they put us preseason. Higher rankings for more of the season obviously mean more exposure and that can help with recruiting. It also has some to do with how you view preseason rankings. Is it a poll of where teams should end up based on returning talent or are they a starting point for teams based on pecking order?

Holy moly. Hype and attention is probably good for the program, but I worry a little about unrealistic expectations it can create in the fanbase. We were awfully fortunate a year ago to get where we did, and I wouldn't be surprised if we had a better team but a worse record (or same) this year. #11 is out of control, even if its just one silly magazine.

With a worse record as last year. I think our schedule is going to be tougher and we ain't gonna surprize anybody this year. But I don't think we will lay any eggs like we did last year. And we should have a better pre season tournament this year because we have been together longer. Just hope the frenzy can stay with the casual fan, because we need them as much as us die hards.

I don't ever buy the 'we aren't going to surprise anyone' as a reason why we could lose more games. Going down the stretch of the B1G schedule last year when we went on a tear, every team knew what they were lining up against and we still won games. Wisconsin didn't come into PBA without knowing what we were capable of and who could do what. We didn't surprise Wisconsin and we still won. Now, we might lose to Wisconsin this year, but it won't be because we couldn't 'surprise them'.

#2 in big 10 I think is realistic, hell we finished 4th when we were picked 12th.  I think it would be hard to find anyone in the big 10 with more returning  players that were major contributors.   Plus we will have more depth then we have had in years.  Just remember our jobs as fans are to make PB arena very hard to play in.

#2 in big 10 I think is realistic, hell we finished 4th when we were picked 12th.  I think it would be hard to find anyone in the big 10 with more returning  players that were major contributors.   Plus we will have more depth then we have had in years.  Just remember our jobs as fans are to make PB arena very hard to play in.

Also remember there are many people with similar jobs in Lansing, Columbus, Ann Arbor, Iowa City, etc.

They may even try to find some in Happy Valley some day!

No reason we shouldn't finish 10-2 or better heading into a new year's matchup with Indiana...we're going to have the best player on the court for every one of those games.  Buy the hype.

Listen to this man. Years of being worn down and disappointed have left most of you with a Charlie Brown complex. We're playing with a stacked deck. Not only should we embrace the hype, but cuddle with it, snuggle it. it's OK to admit our team is GOOD.

I couldn't disagree more with Norm. 

I'm expecting a Sweet 16 appearance this year.  Which means I'm expecting Huskers to be ranked in the Top 20, actually the Top 15. 

I am assuming better PG play.  I am also assuming Moses will at least be able to meet the production Smith provided last year. 

Shields will continue to improve.  I believe he has NBA potential.  And I certainly believe Shields as a junior is better than the vast majority of 5-star freshmen. 

Pitchford will continue to improve.  I believe he has NBA potential.  And I certainly believe also Pitchford as a junior is better than the vast majority of 5-star freshmen. 

And to top it off - Terran is on a mission.  I just think he is going to be on another level than everyone this year.  His hard work is going to show up in spades. 

Injuries could derail this team, but the sky is the limit if they stay healthy.  Even Top 10 wouldn't surprise me in the least.