2016 C Barret Benson -> Northwestern

ShortDust

I wonder if Nebraska would go after both Herard and Benson in the 2016 class.

IF:

1. The 2015 ends with Morrow, YES. Nebraska needs the bigs. Morrow is a great player, but the team needs at least two true bigs.

2. Baptiste or another true big signs, NO. It is clear that Miles likes to take a combo/point guard each year, but the team needs floor spacing shooters also. A true big, combo guard, and a shooter would make sense.

Btw when I say "true big", I mean a thick, 6'9" or bigger guy who can defend and rebound against traditional post players (Leslie Smith or Moses Abraham). Scoring is a secondary need. This reference does not include stretch guys like Pitchford and Fuller. I consider those guys shooters who can play multiple positions (another aspect of Miles' teams).

I wonder if Nebraska would go after both Herard and Benson in the 2016 class.

IF:

1. The 2015 ends with Morrow, YES. Nebraska needs the bigs. Morrow is a great player, but the team needs at least two true bigs.

2. Baptiste or another true big signs, NO. It is clear that Miles likes to take a combo/point guard each year, but the team needs floor spacing shooters also. A true big, combo guard, and a shooter would make sense.

Btw when I say "true big", I mean a thick, 6'9" or bigger guy who can defend and rebound against traditional post players (Leslie Smith or Moses Abraham). Scoring is a secondary need. This reference does not include stretch guys like Pitchford and Fuller. I consider those guys shooters who can play multiple positions (another aspect of Miles' teams).

If they end up with baptise this year, I can't see miles taking both next year. If he grabs the juco big this year, then possibly. I see him taking another slasher, a big, and a combo guard for the 2016 class.

In home visit from Miles is set up this week...GATA Timmy!

http://nebraska.247sports.com/Bolt/Miles-to-see-Watson-Top-2016-target-31022102

"Benson picked up his first crystal ball prediction to Nebraska earlier this week from 247Sports National Basketball analyst Jerry Meyer."

Stanford keeping tabs on him.  I like how Miles is already getting after him though. 

Sounds like Miami, Iowa and Iowa State will all be visiting this week.

Fran Drescher over there at Iowa is in kind of an iffy spot right now, IYAM.  A lot of people thought he had the program turned around.  The Todd Licklighter era was behind them and Frannie was such a great coach.  But ... in 4 years, his squad loses in the play-in round of the NCAA tourney (it's still the play-in round to me, no matter what anyone else chooses to call it) with perhaps his best team and this year looks to be a bit of a rebuild.  Next year even moreso.

They have lost 2 of their top 5 players from last year, including their version of Terran Petteway.  And, granted, they bring in the Trey Dickerson kid, but ... he will steal minutes from one of their best returning players.  It's not like he's a replacement for Roy Devyn Marble.  If he's better than Gesell, great for them.  But that means Gesell sits more.  Or Gesell is better, in which case they won't get as much out of Dickerson.  But their best recruit happens to play the same position as one of their best returning players and so he's not going to move them forward as much as he might have if he'd been a wing or a big.  Bringing him in is like taking another one of their better players out of the lineup -- assuming he even beats out Gesell, which is not a foregone conclusion.

So, on paper, you might expect Iowa to maybe backslide this year.  In year 5.  A year that you might have hoped, if you're an Iowa fan or coach, would be a point where you'd still be on the upswing.  But last year might have been somewhat of a zenith for them.  They lose a 17 pt/game scorer from last year, in Marble, and don't replace him.  After this year, they lose their only other double-figure scorer from a year ago in Aaron White as well as two other key players in Oglesby and Olaseni.  The two 4-star players he signed 3 years ago have, frankly, underwhelmed.  Woodbury averaged less than 17 minutes as a sophomore and they were so confident in Gesell that they tried to recruit his replacement.

They need to land a good 2015 class, but their commits so far are pretty pedestrian.  Doc Sadler-esque, actually, if you just look at their offers.

So, while the Huskers continue to rise (entering the season ranked in the top 25 in nearly every pre-season poll that I've seen -- with the future looking bright), the Hawkeyes appear to have plateaued a bit.  Maybe tailed off a bit.  And momentum is a difficult thing to swing when you talk about the trajectory of a program.  And when you're perceived as having a bit of negative momentum, it's difficult to land the recruits.  Fran needs to have a good year this year or he could be marking time until the next guy takes over at the Hawkeye helm.

Let's keep the chicago pipeline up and running

I think Molinari's connections and Kenya's recruiting abilities will open up Illinois big time for NU.

Molinari may end up being a much bigger and more solid hire than we will ever know. Not just for his coaching, which I think is very good, but for his Chicago and Illinois connections, we now can get a foot in the door and I think our guys are closers when that happens.

Let's keep the chicago pipeline up and running

I think Molinari's connections and Kenya's recruiting abilities will open up Illinois big time for NU.

Molinari may end up being a much bigger and more solid hire than we will ever know. Not just for his coaching, which I think is very good, but for his Chicago and Illinois connections, we now can get a foot in the door and I think our guys are closers when that happens.

I mean that guy was a college assistant or head coach of D1 basketball in the state of Illinois for 27 years.  Thats longer than some of the posters on here are age wise.