Most hated team by state, Nebraskas is no surprise.

PimpMario

http://www.sportingnews.com/ncaa-basketball/story/2014-08-13/most-hated-college-basketball-teams-by-state-map-reddit-duke-kentucky-unc-kansasG2LAqCa.gif

Mildly surprised that Iowa's would be Kansas.

Duke has always been the Notre Dame of basketball to me.  They were always on CBS growing up.  They always were ranked way to high.  Both private stuck up institutions (we have one of those in Nebraska as well).   

It certainly is no surprise that Nebraska's is what it is.  It'll likely stay that way, too, unless or until the Huskers become consistently nationally relevant and develop a mighty rivalry with a conference foe.

Iowa's is Kansas I would presume because of Iowa State.  That, and Kansas has a history of taking all the best players out of Iowa. 

I can somewhat understand why the State of Kansas hates Missouri, but they need to move on.  They have others that are within their own conference that they need to hate on.  Same goes for us.  The Jays are not in our conference.  I want us to get back to the point that one of our conference foes are our hated team...like Iowa.

Question, while we were part of the Big 12, would the State have said that the Jays were the most hated?

Question, while we were part of the Big 12, would the State have said that the Jays were the most hated?

I was thinking maybe Colorado.  

Wyoming disliking Ohio State is the most surprising to me. Have they played each other before?

I am OK with anybody's reasons for hating the ohio state u!   and texass for that matter!

They must be good, level headed, reasonable people those Wyoming fans.

I can somewhat understand why the State of Kansas hates Missouri, but they need to move on.  They have others that are within their own conference that they need to hate on.  Same goes for us.  The Jays are not in our conference.  I want us to get back to the point that one of our conference foes are our hated team...like Iowa.

The hate for Kansas here in Misery and the hate of the tiggers in Dorothy Land goes much deeper than the athletic field.

The hate for Kansas here in Misery and the hate of the tiggers in Dorothy Land goes much deeper than the athletic field.

Same deal with Ohio St-Michigan and their pre-statehood differences.

When I am really, really bored, I love the I hate Misery threads on the Phog. Pure Comedy Gold and the best part is that most are serious about it.

I was thinking KU.  My hatred for KU basketball has dissipated very little, even after attending the institution. 

I do have to admit, Allen Field House is pretty great, though.  I gladly go to cheer against OU, Baylor, and the 'horns.

Am I missing this or does no one hate Kentucky? Why are KU and Duke so much more hated than the Wildcats if past success has any relationship to the hate?

It's hard to tell but I think all of the South except Alabama/Mississippi have Kentucky on their crap list

Nebraska's been so terrible at hoops for so long with an apathetic fanbase for much of that, I don't know that there's really anybody other than Creighton that it would be. I could see Kansas or ISU or KSU or Mizzou making the list a couple of years ago, but right now, there is no real rival other than the Jays. I'm ok with that. Get good first (which they've done, or are at least close to, I think) then the other fun stuff will develop. I don't think a rival has to be a conference foe for it to be a real rival.

I'm guessing the Wyoming/Ohio St. thing is more of a sample size issue than anything...

Nebraska's been so terrible at hoops for so long with an apathetic fanbase for much of that, I don't know that there's really anybody other than Creighton that it would be.

Two points:

1. The entire Big 8 / Big XII were our rivals before the Tim Miles era--those were high-major teams with whom we had to compete day-in and day-out.

2. Under Doc and Collier, we could never compete consistently with many of the high-major teams in our conference (hence, presumably, the "terrible" reference above), but Doc (during those "terrible" years) still went .500 against that MVC mid-major in Omaha.