2016 recruits

Row6Seat10

• 4 weeks later...

Latest update on Husker target Mikayla Pivec:

The junior wing from Bothell, Washington, admitted she plans to take time in selecting a school, and still needs to make her official visits before she reaches a final decision.

According to Pivec, she has received offers from about six schools that she has really communicated with. This list includes Washington State, Washington, Seattle, Nebraska, Oregon State and Stanford.

Ideally, Pivec is looking for a program with a winning culture, a close team atmosphere and a strong academic university, she said. While she there are family ties to some of the schools, they will not be a factor when making her decision, she said.

“I’d like to stay on the West Coast or as close as possible, but if a school had the best opportunity for me to play I would consider going a little bit farther away,” Pivec added.

http://theleftbench.com/high-school-recruiting/mikayla-pivec/

this would be a very nice get. according to her list, all west coast but N. don't like to be pessimistic, but, if you stack her comments and list together, think N might be the longshot. sure would like to be proven wrong, though. 

to me, sounds like she really wants to stay out thatta way. my gut tells me Stanford, Oregon St, and Washington lead the list.

• 2 weeks later...

This just in 5'7guard Micole Cayton on the list of 2016 recruits on our big board is on an official visit to Nebraska today and tomorrow. She plays for the California Storm AAU team. She plays for St Mary's high school in Sacramento, a power house program in NorCal. Her stock has really risen this past year with St Mary's and now this summer with the Cal Storm.  This is one of Shimmy Gray Millers contacts that she made in California this past season and it seems like as though from all accounts Micole is very interested in NU. 

MiCole-Cayton-200.jpg

This just in 5'7guard Micole Cayton on the list of 2016 recruits on our big board is on an official visit to Nebraska today and tomorrow. She plays for the California Storm AAU team. She plays for St Mary's high school in Sacramento, a power house program in NorCal. Her stock has really risen this past year with St Mary's and now this summer with the Cal Storm.  This is one of Shimmy Gray Millers contacts that she made in California this past season and it seems like as though from all accounts Micole is very interested in NU. 

An article with picture of Cayton (scored 21 pts), and some "big" names in the game article.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/highschool/varsity-times/la-girls-basketball-mater-dei-loses-open-division-state-final-20150328-story.html

Our hopes of landing Washington's Gatorade Player of the Year Makayla Pivec seem to be slowly sinking away. This from today's Seattle Times.

Pivec’s first love is basketball, the sport she’ll play at the next level. The 5-foot-10 wing, who shoots six days a week as her dad rebounds for her, expects to sign a letter of intent on Nov. 18, her 18th birthday. She lists Washington, Washington State, Oregon State and Stanford as her top suitors, along with Nebraska and Seattle University (“but it will probably be Pac-12,” she said).

http://www.seattletimes.com/sports/high-school/in-three-sports-and-classroom-lynnwood-high-schools-mikayla-pivec-stands-out/

MiCole Cayton 2016 committed to Nebraska. This is according to St. Mary's Ram Fan twitter Site. This is a very trustworthy site. It's her high school teams site.  I ironically wanted to post some information on her, Kat Tutor and Gigi Garcia but just never got around to it. Might still do it but must run now. 

MiCole Cayton 2016 committed to Nebraska. This is according to St. Mary's Ram Fan twitter Site. This is a very trustworthy site. It's her high school teams site.  I ironically wanted to post some information on her, Kat Tutor and Gigi Garcia but just never got around to it. Might still do it but must run now. 

I saw Kat Tutor was part of series of tweets congratulating MiCole on her commit to NU (they are on same team)

I've lost track......how many is planned for new commits this (2016) year?   We'll lose 4 Sr's after this year, and 2 the next.

Think Connie will try to replace the numbers taking four newbies?

Yes, I look for the Huskers to get two more verbal commits making it 4, before signing day in November. They could sign 5 but I think they're looking at just 4 for now.

I actually think that the staff are moving on to concentrating on the 2016 class so we may as well also. Take note that a lot of the west coast recruits might not be as interested in us now because Sunny Smallwood was the contact with most of these players and as you know Coach Sunny has moved on to Boise. I think coach Shimmy is doing her best to keep in touch with the recruits Coach Sunny had interested in the Big Red when she left but no doubt that interest may have waned with Coach Sunny's departure.

The following is what we have so far. I will make the necessary changes in the list when the time warrants. Everyone is encouraged to participate as the list grows or vise versa.

---------------------------------------------------------

Kathleen_Doyle.png   Kathleen Doyle (2016)

5'9 point guard from Benet Academy in Lisle, IL. Proved herself this past summer as a go to point guard for her Chicago Hoops Express AAU team. Nasty hesitation dribble and a quick first step also help her to get into the lane with consistency. Once in the lane, she has mastered pulling up on a dime and elevating above the defense for the short mid-range jumper. Has both the skill set and intangibles to be great. No ones stock in the Midwest 2016 class has risen more over the past several months. Has offers from Nebraska, Toledo, Depaul, Marquette and Dayton. Arizona State, Creighton, Iowa State, Indiana, Florida, Wake Forest and Northwestern. Committed to Nebraska 6-15-2015

-------------------------------------------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------

cayton.jpg?w=174&h=131&crop=1    Mi'Cole Cayton (2016)

5-7 3* guard from St Mary's High School in Stockton, CA.  Confident combo-guard with a scorer's mentality and swagger; dribble-drive attack yields results; finds rim with consistency; keeps the defense honest with range at the arc. A teammate to Kat Tudor listed above. Cayton is starting to amass a lot of attention going into her junior season. Has a Nebraska offer plus Arizona State, Pacific, San Francisco, George Mason plus many more.  Oklahoma St, Louisville, Oregon St. USC, Boise State plus many more starting to take notice. Committed to Nebraska 6-15-2015

__________________________________________________________________________________________

THIS LIST IS NOT A COMPLETE LISTING OF PLAYERS NEBRASKA MAY BE SHOWING INTEREST IN, NOR DOES IT INDICATE THE RELATIVE POSITION OF THE PLAYERS' -- ON OR OFF THIS LIST -- PRIORITIZATION IN NEBRASKA'S RECRUITING PLANS. THIS LIST IS COMPILED USING INFORMATION FROM A VARIETY OF SOURCES BOTH PUBLIC AND NON-PUBLIC TO GIVE FANS A SAMPLING OF PLAYERS WHO MIGHT BE GRACING THE COURT AT PINNACLE BANK ARENA IN THE FUTURE. AS A MEDIA SITE, HUSKER HOOPS CENTRAL HAS NO INFLUENCE IN THE RECRUITING DECISIONS OF THE NEBRASKA COACHING STAFF, AND INCLUSION ON OR OMISSION FROM THIS LIST IS AT THE COMPLETE DISCRETION OF HUSKER HOOPS CENTRAL.

R6S10...

You clearly know a whale of a lot about this recruiting thing since both of these were in your post from 10 months ago...great job of identifying targets!

When I saw the news today, I was concerned you may have had a heart attack (well, if you are my age or older) from the excitement!

So now that we have to consider the front court recruits, can you to give an updated version of the big/tall/etc. talent still on our horizon?

I salute your insight and love of the women's game. 

Thanks!

P.S. Nice disclaimer! 

Thanks, Trickey. I think if we should land another player off our big board it would be Norm's favorite GiGi Garcia. But those thoughts came before Shimmy Gray Miller went to Florida. Now I'm hoping, as it's even a little more cloudy on the big/tall talent considering the recent coaching changes. I also think there's a pretty good chance the Huskers may get a commitment from a big that isn't listed on our big board.

speaking of "bigs", thought i would ask about 6'4"Sydney Cook from Wisconsin. i know she is the class of 2017, but, curious if there has been any husker buzz about this player. seems to me there was some past mention of her and that she may have showed some interest in Nebraska. the last time i read one bio, it appears she is drawing interest from the "elite" of college women's bb, but, with her being in that big ten footprint, sure would like to get her to visit Lincoln. i have seen her rated as high as #3 to #16 (i believe if you go by position, she is rated very near the top).

I get to see Cayton and Tudor play a lot. I have also seen Gigi play quite a bit as well. Gigi has stock has risen this year. She really had a disappointing soph year. But she really kicked it in gear towards the end of this season. Her disappearing had mostly to do with the guards on her team playing keep the ball away from Gigi early this season. Once they started to share the ball the team started to win. They were on a streak at the end of the season with their only loss coming to Mi Cole and Tudors team.  I thought she was much better than Ally Rosenblum the post from MD.  

One thing that has not been mentioned about Mi Cole Cayton is that she is a foul drawing machine. When she doesn't finish on her drives she usually gets fouled. She has put a lot of players on the bench that way. St. Mary's the team both Cayton and Kat Tudor play for played against a lot of the top teams in the country. They are not going to show big numbers because the team they play on uses a 10 player rotation in the difficult games and the starters hardly play at all in the blow outs. One thing they learn to do is play team ball. No ball dominate ball hogging patterns to break when they have to adjust to play with other good players once in college. There is also no lack of constant effort, because if they do not hustle every minute they are on the floor they get pulled out to ride the pine. They usually full court press/trap the entire game and everyone is in top condition. Oh Mi Cole is taller than 5'7". Don't know were they got that. More like 5'9".

Hannah Whitish, listed on our 2016 Big Board, is visiting Minnesota this weekend. She visited Indiana two weeks ago and by all accounts the Hoosiers rank at the top of her list,...for now anyway.

Also, All Star Girls Report has recent NU commits Mi'cole Cayton ranked as the 61st best recruit in the land and Kathleen Doyle as the 65th.

Hannah Whitish, listed on our 2016 Big Board, is visiting Minnesota this weekend. She visited Indiana two weeks ago and by all accounts the Hoosiers rank at the top of her list,...for now anyway.

Surprised Illinois isn't trying to recruit her.  (/rimshot)

Make sure to tip your waitresses.  I'll be here all week.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...