Tarin Smith

Swan88

I'd love to see Fuller in there w/ Smith, Petteway, Shields & Pitch. But, I like 'shooter/scorers' at every starting spot!

Then who is your scorer off the bench?  You need someone on the second unit that can score.

Apparently it should be Trevor Menke.  That is, according to Petteway in today's presser.

From the sounds of things from the presser, our starting lineup might look a lot like this:

PG  Smith

SG  Webster

SF  Petteway

PF  Shields

PF  Pitchford

He said Fuller playing at his highest level yet and Hammond will have to play.  We also know Ayegba is only here this year; Parker has always been good glue off the bench; Rivers still had 14 starts last year.

I think it'll take a game or two or three for Miles to be able to see what combinations work the best and who's getting minutes and who's not.  Nice having a lot of options.

Interesting question. I'm think Rivers still starts the 4. Miles last year said he made a mistake playing Shavon at the 4, moved him back to the 3 and he flourished. I see him staying at the 3

I see where you're coming from put I don't know if he will put rivers in at the start. We will have to see how things pour out.

Interesting question. I'm think Rivers still starts the 4. Miles last year said he made a mistake playing Shavon at the 4, moved him back to the 3 and he flourished. I see him staying at the 3

I see where you're coming from put I don't know if he will put rivers in at the start. We will have to see how things pour out.

Rivers didn't start against Wiscy last year.  That game, we started Webster, Gallegos, Petteway, Shields and Pitchford.  And we did OK in that one.

I'd love to see Fuller in there w/ Smith, Petteway, Shields & Pitch. But, I like 'shooter/scorers' at every starting spot!

Then who is your scorer off the bench?  You need someone on the second unit that can score.

You don't ever sub all 5 guys at once, so that's not really an issue... and, that was merely a hypothetical as I mentioned I like scorer-types at all positions. Lots of different lineups could be made in-game based on matchups, which is the perfect situation (in the real world). :)

You don't ever sub all 5 guys at once, so that's not really an issue... and, that was merely a hypothetical as I mentioned I like scorer-types at all positions. Lots of different lineups could be made in-game based on matchups, which is the perfect situation (in the real world). :)

Right I just mean it as who is the 6th man.  Usually your 6th man is a scoring threat.  Manu, Taj Gibson, etc.  Someone that can come off the bench and score when you may have 2-3 backups out there at times.  I assumed you meant Fuller would be that guy.

Right I just mean it as who is the 6th man.  Usually your 6th man is a scoring threat.  Manu, Taj Gibson, etc.  Someone that can come off the bench and score when you may have 2-3 backups out there at times.  I assumed you meant Fuller would be that guy.

I'd prefer more of a wing to be that bench scorer, not sure who that might be now as Fuller seems to be more of stretch 4. Would be great to have a guy who's an assassin so maybe Fuller could develop into that!

Webster might need to work on his shot so he can get on the court at the two spot.

Hes most likely starting at the two this season so I'd expect to see him on the court.

Okay, hope he has confidence in his shot from the get go or I see him as the first guy being subbed unless someone else finds foul trouble.

Rivers should start, or at least get a 25+ min a game.  Benching him as a wakeup call before starting him @ MSU was the best personnel move TM made all season.  DR is a very underrated player.  Good rebounder, great defender, nice midrange jumper, and our toughest player.  

Interesting post with regard to Miles involvement with Rivers' improved productivity.   There was a lot of criticism on here of Miles at the time he cut Rivers' minutes, particularly from one certain poster.  This is certainly a different perspective. 

Seems like Smith or Fuller might be candidates for this role assuming they don't force their way into the starting lineup

Rivers should start, or at least get a 25+ min a game.  Benching him as a wakeup call before starting him @ MSU was the best personnel move TM made all season.  DR is a very underrated player.  Good rebounder, great defender, nice midrange jumper, and our toughest player.  

Interesting post with regard to Miles involvement with Rivers' improved productivity.   There was a lot of criticism on here of Miles at the time he cut Rivers' minutes, particularly from one certain poster.  This is certainly a different perspective. 

I was definitely one of those critics.  That said, he went from 1rpg to 7rpg in the same minutes once he cracked the starting lineup again.  I really believe he was the difference and, in hindsight, I think Miles did an amazing job motivating him.  It was perfect timing.  

Ahhh, then you don't remember the Tulane Green Wave NCAA tourney team from '91-'92 under Perry Clark.

Clark brought in 5 talented freshmen who subbed in as a group generally sometime after the first media timeout.

They ended up being nicknamed "The Posse" because they all subbed in together.

Did he get the "start" for senior day? Down the stretch they played him a lot at the 4. Robin just had a tweet on a big lineup as Hammond/Moses, Walt, SS, TP and Tai.

Interesting.  Is that just Robin's educated guess or speculation?  Or is it based on something from the coaching staff?

Walt certainly has fantastic measurables to play the 4.  Fantastic size, length and vertical jump to go with a guy who can stroke it from deep on the pick and pop.  He does need to add the dribble drive to his arsenal, though.  And I would like to see him be able to bang a little bit inside. 

When Walt is in at the 5, he's really only playing the 5 on the defensive end anyway.  So, having a real 5 in there who only needs to defend and board makes a lot of sense.  And that allows Walt to play what would be a more natural position for him.

Does Shavon have the quicks to defend the 3?  Probably.  And Petteway is very versatile, so he could swing any position on the floor except the 5, probably.

The central core of the team is Petteway, Shields and Pitchford.  We all know that.  And they could start at the 5, 4, and 3.  Or they could all shift down one spot and play the 4, 3, and 2.

So, the question is who adds more to the equation?  Your PG/SG or your center?  We could be at our best with the lineup that Robin tweeted.  Or, we could be better with Tarin and Tai in the backcourt and shifting the core three players 1 spot up.

Ahhh, then you don't remember the Tulane Green Wave NCAA tourney team from '91-'92 under Perry Clark.

Clark brought in 5 talented freshmen who subbed in as a group generally sometime after the first media timeout.

Seriously, that prompted a shout-out to Tulane from 23 yrs ago!?  Okay, okay, Normy, "nearly no one ever subs 5 guys at once" Better? ;)

Did he get the "start" for senior day? Down the stretch they played him a lot at the 4. Robin just had a tweet on a big lineup as Hammond/Moses, Walt, SS, TP and Tai.

Interesting.  Is that just Robin's educated guess or speculation?  Or is it based on something from the coaching staff?

Walt certainly has fantastic measurables to play the 4.  Fantastic size, length and vertical jump to go with a guy who can stroke it from deep on the pick and pop.  He does need to add the dribble drive to his arsenal, though.  And I would like to see him be able to bang a little bit inside. 

When Walt is in at the 5, he's really only playing the 5 on the defensive end anyway.  So, having a real 5 in there who only needs to defend and board makes a lot of sense.  And that allows Walt to play what would be a more natural position for him.

Does Shavon have the quicks to defend the 3?  Probably.  And Petteway is very versatile, so he could swing any position on the floor except the 5, probably.

The central core of the team is Petteway, Shields and Pitchford.  We all know that.  And they could start at the 5, 4, and 3.  Or they could all shift down one spot and play the 4, 3, and 2.

So, the question is who adds more to the equation?  Your PG/SG or your center?  We could be at our best with the lineup that Robin tweeted.  Or, we could be better with Tarin and Tai in the backcourt and shifting the core three players 1 spot up.

Or, I imagine we'd have Tarin & Nick in there to be legit scoring threats... but, really, anyone can sub in any number of interchangeable parts for matchup reasons. That's what is great about the 2014-15 roster: reliable versatility.

Seriously, that prompted a shout-out to Tulane from 23 yrs ago!?  Okay, okay, Normy, "nearly no one ever subs 5 guys at once" Better? ;)

Better.

http://journalstar.com/sports/huskers/mens-basketball/nu-s-smith-brings-smarts-athleticism-to-point-guard/article_1420789a-8150-5151-a4d0-d83c2c6c80ad.html

A Great Read on Tarin Smith in today's LJS!

LJS:

NU's Smith brings smarts, athleticism to point guard

He decided to take business calculus as his first college course in June.......

Smith, a business administration major, had a high school grade-point average on the north side of 4.0 and was valedictorian of his senior class at St. Anthony’s High School in Jersey City, New Jersey.......

Remember that when you hear Nebraska coach Tim Miles talk about Smith’s intelligence and high basketball IQ.........

“He might be our most athletic kid on the team,” Miles said. “The other day he went down the lane in one of our workouts and went off his wrong foot, his left foot, and dunked it left-handed over like Moses (Abraham) or Walt (Pitchford) or somebody like that.

“You’re like, ‘What just happened?’ That’s hard to do. At least, it’s hard for me to do.”

Just got to like the kind of recruits Miles attracts (and the staff he is building)!