Miller resigns

Merlin

Just read that too. He had Indiana going into the right direction too. He suffered a stroke and had heart issues at his previous job Bowling Green. Good thing he realized it before it was too late.

Curt Miller resigned as Indiana women’s basketball coach Friday morning, ending a two-year run that restored momentum to a struggling program.

According to a department release, Miller stepped down due to personal reasons. He will take until the end of the month to fully transition out of the school.

“I have decided to resign as Head Coach of the Women’s Basketball Program, effective immediately, for personal health and family reasons,” Miller wrote in his resignation letter. “As you know, this was a most difficult decision, but the right one for me and my family at this time.

“Thank you for the opportunity to lead and resurrect the Program. I will always cherish my time as a part of the Hoosier Nation. I wish nothing but continued success to the players, coaches and the program.”

Miller and athletic director Fred Glass met with the team this morning to inform them of the resignation and plans for the future. Associate head coach Curtis Lloyd will serve as interim coach until a new coach is hired. Glass will ask the new head coach to consider retaining the current assistants.

Miller owns a 290-124 record in 13 seasons as a head coach, including a 32-32 mark over his two seasons in Bloomington. He was a finalist for the 2014 Women’s Basketball Coaches Association National Coach of the Year award after leading the Hoosiers to a 21-13 mark and an appearance in the WNIT quarterfinals.

“Curt Miller did an incredible job coaching this team, bringing us farther, faster than anyone could have reasonably expected,” Glass said in a release. “He leaves the program in a very strong position and poised for much greater success. I respect his decision to resign, and I wish him well. The search for a permanent successor has already begun.”

Miller had a health scare in 2012 when he suffered a mild stroke during a game while coaching Bowling Green.

“This has been a wake-up call for me and I have already begun the process of finding a healthier balance,” Miller said at the time. “I am passionate about coaching and I look forward to my return soon. I, along with the rest of our coaches and players, would like to thank the community for its ongoing support of our program.”

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/07/curt-miller-resigns-as-iu-womens-coach/

Sources close to the program indicate that the search has yet to zero in on any finalists, but here is an updated list of names, in alphabetical order, to keep an eye on as the search process moves swiftly toward a conclusion.

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/07/names-to-know-in-iu-womens-coaching-search/

Damon Bailey - wbb assistant @ Butler

Tricia Cullop - head coach @ Toledo

Gail Goestenkors - unemployed

Cameron Newbauer - head coach @ Belmont

Autumn Rademacher - head coach @ Detroit

LONGSHOTS

Brian Agler - head coach @ Seattle Storm

Beth Cunningham - wbb assistant @ Notre Dame

Stephanie White - assistant coach @ Indiana Fever

Cazzie, Coach G just resigned as an assistant coach for the LA Sparks of the WNBA when they fired their head coach a few weeks ago. I thought she had moved to L.A. maybe not though.  I wouldn't think Indiana has enough in their budget to hire her.

Damon Bradley is starting his first year as an assistant for Butler, no other college experience. He's got a daughter who is a 4 star point guard and a senior in high school that's committed to Butler. He's been her high school coach for two years prior to the Butler gig. Now if he should somehow get the job I would guess his daughter might de-commit and follow her dad to Bloomington.

Cullop is probably the most proven as a college coach in the list other than Coach G, but her downfall is she's a Purdue grad and Indiana fans aren't too fond of Purdue alums coaching their teams. The same reason applies for Stephanie White.

I'm surprised that Miller's assistant coach Brandi Poole who's been with him for 11years isn't being considered. It would most likely keep their newly committed players coming and keep the present team from any turmoil that may arise from a new coach.

The fall-out begins? Jenna Allen who gave Indiana a verbal a year ago has re-opened her recruitment. The article also says Damon Bailey interviewed for the Hoosier job but turned it down.

“We’re not saying no to IU, but it’s a situation, going into her senior year, where we have to make sure it’s the right fit and have options in case it’s not,”

If Allen decides to go elsewhere, other schools that were high on Allen’s original list of possible choices and will now be in play include Michigan State and Butler. Former BNL coaches Kurt Godlevske (who led BNL to the 2013 title and was named the new head coach with the Bulldogs earlier this summer) and Damon Bailey (the BNL coach in 2014 who is now a Butler assistant) are now in position to potentially scoop up a huge recruiting prize.

http://thehhcsports.com/girls-basketball-allen-reopens-recruiting/

http://wthitv.com/2014/08/06/iu-is-interested-in-lady-sycamores-head-coach-teri-moren/

Hoosiers express interest in Indiana State's Teri Moren. In four years at ISU coach Moren is 69-57. The 2013-2014 season was her best at Indiana State. She guided the Lady Sycamores to the Missouri Valley Conference regular season championship and the programs first 20-win season in eight years

Moren isn't the only coach with local ties on Indiana's list.

Cameron Newbauer, a Fort Wayne native and current head coach at Belmont, is also a candidate for the position, according to a source.

A 2001 graduate of IPFW, Newbauer was a lead assistant in Louisville during the Cardinals' recent rise to national prominence. He is the brother of Andrea Newbauer, a senior on last year's IU women's team that advanced to the WNIT quarterfinals.

In his only year at the Nashville school, Newbauer led the Bruins to a 14-18 record but a 10-6 mark in conference. After losing to UT-Martin in the Ohio Valley Conference tournament final last year, Newbauer brought his Belmont team to Bloomington for a first-round WNIT game against Indiana, where the Bruins lost 48-47

http://www.indystar.com/story/hoosier-insider/2014/08/07/teri-moren-candidate-indiana-womens-basketball/13722387/

Indiana has a new coach.

Teri Moren, who was the head women's coach at Indiana State, was named as the Hoosiers' coach late Saturday afternoon.

"We are thrilled that Teri Moren will be leading Indiana women's basketball," Indiana University Vice President and Director of Athletics Fred Glass said in a released statement. "Not unlike our recent head baseball coaching search, we were very pleased with the extremely high caliber of coaches who expressed interest in this position. Teri emerged early in the process as a lead candidate and I am confident with her at the helm, the future of Indiana women's basketball is very bright."

A Purdue alum no less.

http://www.indystar.com/story/sports/college/indiana/2014/08/09/indiana-native-teri-moren-named-as-iu-womens-basketball-coach/13836649/

If everybody involved has their way, new Indiana women’s basketball coach Teri Moren will be around Bloomington for quite some time. According to IU athletic director Fred Glass, Moren will have a six-year contract starting at a $265,000 base salary per year, plus $35,000 in marketing, etc. for a total package worth $300,000.

There’s also one other unique provision — a $10 million buyout provision for Purdue. In an effort to prevent a repeat of 2006, when Sharon Versyp left Indiana after one year to become the coach of the Boilermakers, Glass asked Moren to agree to the special provision.

“I’m aware of the (Sharon) Versyp situation,” Glass said. “I told Teri, ‘I can’t have another Versyp.’ She said, ‘No problem,’ and had no problem putting money where her mouth is, although it is fairly unusual.

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/080914aab.html

A collision of strange circumstances created a situation that was unlike ISU’s other departures.

When IU athletic director Fred Glass called Moren to offer her the job on Saturday, ISU’s women’s team was in the air en route to Miami to catch their connecting flight to Costa Rica for their much-anticipated foreign trip.

Moren and Glass weren’t able to get in-touch until the Sycamores landed. Once there, Moren was offered and accepted the IU job.

Obviously, this was never going to be an easy situation, and to be fair, it left Moren in a bad spot to make a very hard choice. She could continue on with the Sycamores and coach in Costa Rica in a lame duck role, or, back out and return to Indiana to embark on her new adventure with the Hoosiers.

Moren chose the latter, hopped a flight in Miami and returned to Indiana.

http://debug.cnhi.zope.net/tribstar/sports/x864266366/Todd-Golden-Manner-of-Moren-s-exit-from-ISU-highlights-player-coach-inequity

The fall-out continues:

Brandi Poole and Kevin Eckert will not return to the Indiana women’s basketball coaching staff, a source close to the program confirmed Monday.

Poole worked alongside former IU coach Curt Miller, who abruptly resigned on July 24, for his entire 13-year coaching career at both Bowling Green and Indiana. Eckert had been an assistant to Miller for 12 of his 13 seasons as a head coach.

http://scoop.hoosiershq.com/2014/08/poole-eckert-will-not-return-to-indiana-womens-basketball-staff/

Could there be more to the Curt Miller resignation than we know now? Time will tell..... Brandi Poole by the way, (one of Miller's longtime assistants) was hired just last week as an assistant at Texas Tech.

We pursued the story hard from the get-go. We got our FOIA (Freedom of Information Act) request in early, and weren't the only media outlet to do so. We continue to pursue it. But there is obviously a vast gulf between rumor and the sort of substantiated fact we would be in position to report.

Those with absolute knowledge of the situation (and that doesn't include very many people) have remained unrelentingly tight-lipped. And the IU folks had to know, given that approach, that speculation and rumor would inevitably arise, and that some of said rumors might turn insidious. Given that they still chose to remain reticent (beyond the "personal and health" reasons alluded to in the intitial release and resignation letter), they clearly feel some things are private and should remain so, whether that alludes to health or behavior or personnel issues or whatever. There is always a chance that the general silence is the result of pending litigation, too, but we don't know that to be true

Not to pour gasoline on the fire, but you'll notice that no one connected with IU took to Twitter to say much of anything when Curt Miller resigned, including those closest to him and his program. That was very telling.

And I would say the fact you don't know more or haven't seen more reported to this point should also be very telling.

http://www.heraldtimesonline.com/free_access/iu-sports-chat-iu-soccer-football-kick-off-curt-miller/article_3fc45256-29ee-11e4-a7c2-0017a43b2370.html

The new Indiana coach meets the media for the first time.

This is really a great group of girls. They want to put the past behind and move forward and they made that very, very clear.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACmexLreDP0

http://www.iuhoosiers.com/sports/w-baskbl/spec-rel/090314aai.html

Put the past behind them ? So maybe Miller was forced out.