OT: World Cup 2014

49r

I'd love for the US to make it through the group, but I don't see us beating Germany. Have to beat Ghana, draw with Portugal, and hope for a better goal differential. Or if Germany has 6 points going into the last game with the US and we have four points, a draw would secure both teams through to the round of 16. That's my most hopeful scenario. I'm not as optimistic as you hskr4life, but maybe I should be. :) Winning the so-called Group of Death would be quite a feat! Similar perhaps to a 4th place conference finish and run to get into the tournament! :)

This must be a well kept secret.  I was unaware that there was a world cup basketball event going on right now.

The FIBA Basketball World Cup will be held this August 30- September 14th. They have changed the name of the FIBA world championships to the world cup this time around. And the FIFA World Cup is no secret to anyone not living under a rock, whether you want to hear about it or not. Personally I think this year will be exciting because Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Uruguay, Netherlands and Belgium are all considered favorites and that's not even mentioning the numerous dark horses. Should be one of the most competitive world championship events for any sport in a long time. Looking for some tight, competitive games after watching this years NBA playoffs. 

WOW!  Holland beat (defending World Cup champions) Spain 5-1.  Two goals each for Robben and Van Persie.

My early favorites to win it all, the Dutch...

Hup Holland. They are second favorite team. They are the reason I love soccer so much.

I'd have to agree here.  It's a joy to watch Robben play.

WOW!  Holland beat (defending World Cup champions) Spain 5-1.  Two goals each for Robben and Van Persie.

Hup Holland. They are second favorite team. They are the reason I love soccer so much.

Before tiki taka there was Cruyff's total football, the soccer version of a 5 man motion where anyone can end up anywhere but with 10 field players not a mere 5. I'm not that old but it was still beautiful in the late 80's with the likes of Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, and Frank Rijkaard. And yes I did look up how to spell those names. van Basten might be the greatest soccer player no one in America has ever heard of.

Before tiki taka there was Cruyff's total football, the soccer version of a 5 man motion where anyone can end up anywhere but with 10 field players not a mere 5. I'm not that old but it was still beautiful in the late 80's with the likes of Marco van Basten, Ruud Gullit, and Frank Rijkaard. And yes I did look up how to spell those names. van Basten might be the greatest soccer player no one in America has ever heard of.

About 15 years ago my oldest son went to a Cruyff camp in Bellvue. It was really one of the best camps that any of my boys went to. I learned as much if not more in that week than the boys did. Have always loved the attack, attack, attack idea and that anybody can play anywhere. Just fun soccer to watch. Also 4 years ago I got to be on a cruise from Italy to Greece and hit some other countries. Anyway it was during the World Cup. Got to watch it with people who live and breathe every touch. And the Dutch where the wildest of the ones on the ship. They could drink beer like fish, and really had fun during games.

I'm sure that's probably a pretty big list.

They have a chance today without Buffon in goal.

I am that soccer fan who loves the sport and how it us played, when the sportsmanship isn't used ie... flopping, grabbing the ball away from the other team, things like that. I am also that I think rare American fan that isn't going to try to tell everybody that thus is such a great sport. I will talk with people about it and will try to help people if they want to know about it. But I won't get into agreements about how " you just don't get it". like some do. If you don't like it I am okay with that. Just my $.02 worth

And of course "We Believe That We Will Win!". We need to start this at the Vault.

This must be a well kept secret.  I was unaware that there was a world cup basketball event going on right now.

The FIBA Basketball World Cup will be held this August 30- September 14th. They have changed the name of the FIBA world championships to the world cup this time around. And the FIFA World Cup is no secret to anyone not living under a rock, whether you want to hear about it or not. Personally I think this year will be exciting because Argentina, Spain, Brazil, Germany, Uruguay, Netherlands and Belgium are all considered favorites and that's not even mentioning the numerous dark horses. Should be one of the most competitive world championship events for any sport in a long time. Looking for some tight, competitive games after watching this years NBA playoffs. 

Not living under a flipping rock...it was a joke...perhaps in part due to the subject appearing where it started.  When I did something similar, the subject/topic was moved. 

Not living under a flipping rock...it was a joke...perhaps in part due to the subject appearing where it started.  When I did something similar, the subject/topic was moved. 

I got that it was a joke. Sarcasm doesn't translate well.

After watching part of most of yesterday's matches, I will now admit that World Cup futbol has become my sixth favorite spectator sport, nudging aside golf, bowling, and NASCAR and taking its rightful place behind basketball, football, baseball, boxing, and the Bachelorette. I just don't like when it becomes a bunch of guys playing keep-away. No wonder Dean Smith likes it since it resembles the old four corner offense.

Hope no casual fan is watching this "display" from Honduras. This is the kind of bull.... that ruins the game. They haven't played the ball, grabbed, punched and flopped all over the place. They are just flat out dirty. This is the most times I have seen the stretcher come out that many times in a long time.

Not a big fan of this France team but would not mind seeing them hang 6 or more goals on Honduras.

My sons and I are members of American Outlaws that was in the paper the other day. They sent out an email when the US was to play in Honduras that they would not be setting up a trip to watch that game because the US Embassy had told them they couldn't guarantee any American's safety. I think that is where it took the team bus like 3 hours to get to the stadium because all the taxi's in the city formed a moving road block. It was like a 10 min. drive normally.