2015 F Jack McVeigh - Signed

Less than two hours until Serbia gives the Aussies a good beatdown unless something radically changed from the group stage.

With the 3rd quarter almost over, it's the Aussies giving the beatdown.

They're up 54-38 with 3 minutes to go in the 3rd.

He has really struggled so far in the tournament.  Cant really take too much away from it to gather an opinion one way or the other but he has not looked the same in this tournament that he did a year ago at the adidas nations.

18 and 12 today for Jack.

Seems like a pretty solid stat line to me.

He has really struggled so far in the tournament.  Cant really take too much away from it to gather an opinion one way or the other but he has not looked the same in this tournament that he did a year ago at the adidas nations.

I was just coming to post this little gif here to yesterdays post.

3-04Dumb-and-Dumber-quotes.gif

I haven't watched every second of every game, but I have watched parts of two games and I guess I don't see what people are concerned about when they say he isn't a very good defender and doesn't have goof foot speed. 

I like what he's able to do off the bounce.  A good example middle of the first quarter in the Serbia game.  Drove on his man and did a great job of using is left shoulder to create space to get the shot off inside.

For a 6'8" kid, he's shown really good ball-handling skills.  And some creativity in scoring.  Plus he got fouled and got to the line a lot and converted when he got there.

6/15 from the floor but went 6/7 from the line

I haven't watched every second of every game, but I have watched parts of two games and I guess I don't see what people are concerned about when they say he isn't a very good defender and doesn't have goof foot speed. 

I've seen the guy he's been guarding blow by him on several occasions. 

I'm pretty impressed by Jack's offensive ability.  He kind of reminds of Christian Standhardinger--less athleticism but more fundamentals and skill.  He can get some good looks off the dribble when he pulls up.  Pretty skilled for 6'8".  

Defensively, I think Molinari turns him into a serviceable one.  He already plays pretty good positional help D, just doesn't have great technique in his stance and anticipation.  Defense can be taught.  Offense is a way bigger challenge to teach.  He's long and has a better frame than I thought.  He could definitely develop into a stretch 4.  I'm not sure learning to guard 2-3 is even necessary for him.    

McVeigh finishes 0-9 from 3 for the tourney.

http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2015/Jack-Edward-MCVEIGH

I think there has been talk of him being an excellent outside shooter but honestly I've never seen any sort of international or national play data that backs that up...seems more comfortable driving to the lane and finishing.

McVeigh finishes 0-9 from 3 for the tourney.

http://www.fiba.com/world/u19/2015/Jack-Edward-MCVEIGH

I think there has been talk of him being an excellent outside shooter but honestly I've never seen any sort of international or national play data that backs that up...seems more comfortable driving to the lane and finishing.

That's okay too, but yeah we may have hoped the 3 point wizard thing a bit.:)

• 6 months later...
  • 5 months later...