2015 F Jack McVeigh - Signed

Wow. It's amazing to think that we are recruiting all of these kids. It makes me want to pinch myself. My how far we have came.

Personally, I don't think we've gone anywhere until we actually start signing a few of these guys.

While it's been fun to have the bigger names on the radar, you are spot on, being the runner up in recruiting battles means nothing.

Seriously? 4 years ago we were competing with teams like UTEP. We weren't even offering top kids now we are getting the. To visit. As we improve we will get a yes

I won't speak for Cager but yes I am serious.  I don't want it to come across as a slam on Miles, the guy is relentless and busts his backside.  But participation ribbons (which is what being second for a kid is) suck, bet Miles would say the same thing, I not a moral victory kind of guy.  I do think at some point this staff will find the one kid that will say yes and the flood gates will open.

We finished at fourth place in one of the best conferences in the Country, and someone suggests we haven't been anywhere yet?

That suggestion seems reminiscent of a couple lines from the end of a classic / high-brow movie: "When are we ever going to catch a break?" and "The town is back that way!"

Wow. It's amazing to think that we are recruiting all of these kids. It makes me want to pinch myself. My how far we have came.

Personally, I don't think we've gone anywhere until we actually start signing a few of these guys.

While it's been fun to have the bigger names on the radar, you are spot on, being the runner up in recruiting battles means nothing.

Just for kicks, I thought I would test the theory that we have elevated our recruiting by doing a year-by-year comparison on Rivals of our offers to 4* or better players who have medium or better interest in us.  The number of players by year - 2002-2015:

Collier 2002-2006: 0, 0, 0, 1, 0

Sadler 2007-2012: 0, 0, 1, 0, 3, 8

Miles  2013-2015: 3, 12, 8 (so far)

Looking at the stats above, anyone would be tempted to conclude that we started recruiting a lot better starting the last couple of years.  Then I decided to do the same year by year comparison for another Big Ten school that I felt was not on the upswing.  Here are Penn St's year-by-year offers:

2002-2015: 0, 0, 1, 0, 1, 2, 3, 0, 2, 1, 6, 6, 6

What does it all mean?  I don't know.  Is Penn St really recruiting that much better now?  Or is Rivals doing a much more comprehensive job of tracking offers now than they did 10 years ago?  Really, a better barometer of interests would be visits, but I didn't have that available to me.

I love Miles and our current staff.  I think this is a top notch staff that excels at recruiting.  But I am wary of the possibility that - even with their acumen at recruiting - the basketball landscape today is working against Nebraska more than it has in the last 50 years (AAU, metropolitan emphasis, etc).

It is striking the success the women have had lately signing top 100 players.  They sign more players in that category in 1 year than the men do in a decade.  Why is that?  Is Yori and her staff that much more effective at selling their program?  No way.  I don't mean to disrespect what Yori has accomplished in any way.  I just think there are things going on in men's basketball that are still making this job a lot tougher than elevating the women's program.

[quote name="HuskerCager" post="81368" timestamp="

It is striking the success the women have had lately signing top 100 players. They sign more players in that category in 1 year than the men do in a decade. Why is that? Is Yori and her staff that much more effective at selling their program? No way. I don't mean to disrespect what Yori has accomplished in any way. I just think there are things going on in men's basketball that are still making this job a lot tougher than elevating the women's program.

Location, location, location. All three top 100 players for next year are within a couple hour drive of Lincoln. If the men had that same luxury with some horrible men's teams in those states as well I'm sure they'd be doing just as well. Sadly they don't produce that same talent locally in the radius for men and the ones that do would end up at a KU more than likely.

Wamego is a bit farther than a "couple hour" drive from Lincoln.  It's at least a three hour drive, though I may be picking at straws here.

Your main point is legit, though.  As with volleyball players, there is considerably more "local" talent in women's basketball than there is in men's basketball 'round these parts.  Why?  I have no idea.  We've discussed it a bit here before (with, I think, a focus on volleyball talent).

[quote name="HuskerCager" post="81368" timestamp="

It is striking the success the women have had lately signing top 100 players. They sign more players in that category in 1 year than the men do in a decade. Why is that? Is Yori and her staff that much more effective at selling their program? No way. I don't mean to disrespect what Yori has accomplished in any way. I just think there are things going on in men's basketball that are still making this job a lot tougher than elevating the women's program.

Location, location, location. All three top 100 players for next year are within a couple hour drive of Lincoln. If the men had that same luxury with some horrible men's teams in those states as well I'm sure they'd be doing just as well. Sadly they don't produce that same talent locally in the radius for men and the ones that do would end up at a KU more than likely.

I'll agree, Kamdy.  At least partly anyway.  Location has been a detriment to our program the last 15 years.  But it's more than that.  The women's program signed top 100 players from California and Washington last year, indicating they have a national reputation.  Conversely, the men's program has struck out on players from Chadron, Omaha, S.Sioux City, etc.   I know, that's looking backwards.  We have an image problem with players, somehow, someway.  That's the only way I can explain players choosing Iowa or Baylor over Nebraska.  I think HS players are still watching and waiting to see if the success we had last year is sustainable.  Probably the best thing we can do for recruiting is to get to the Sweet 16 next year.  We need a win, anyway.

• 6 months later...

Kind of reminds me a bit of Nick Fuller. Hope he has the strength and defensive quickness to make it on the floor. He does have good range and what appears to be a sweet shot.

I know I posted this this summer but I feel he's more Sam Dekker.  Hes also done it against high quality opponents in international play.  Now would he live up to that play here, who knows but thats how I see him.

Kind of reminds me a bit of Nick Fuller. Hope he has the strength and defensive quickness to make it on the floor. He does have good range and what appears to be a sweet shot.

I thought that also, although I don't recall Fuller putting it on the floor as much as this guy.  it will be interesting to watch--if we get a commitment from McVeigh, what this says for Fuller.   But, first things first.