2015 F Jack McVeigh - Signed

OK, the level of the competition in this clip is absolutely putrid.  It looks like a pick-up game at the rec center.  But it does show some things.

1.  McVeigh has a great shot.  I love his mechanics.  He has a very compact windup and delivery.  No wasted, herky jerky motion.  Just windup and release.  And linear.  From his shoulder through his elbow to his fingertips. 

2,  It's a very quick release, so he'll be able to launch his shot even without a ton of space.  It also looks very repeatable.  He's shooting it off the dribble in this clip.

3.  Decent elevation on the jump.  Not great elevation, but I don't know that he was trying that hard in this clip.  Again, it looks like a pick-up game at the rec center.  Still, he's not shooting it flat footed.

4.  Hard to judge his athleticism but his ball-handling skills appear to leave something to be desired.  Looks like an Australian kid who hasn't watched enough American basketball.  But that can be fixed.  Fortunately, the shooting doesn't need to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C49wdsJ43c

so he's basically nick fuller, but maybe an inch taller with less experience playing in the US.

Hes better than Fuller though so that shouldnt matter.  

Some interesting takes from this article:

“It was good,” Jack McVeigh told TSD of his time on Nebraska’s campus. “It was definitely an experience. I’d never seen snow before. It was like 120 degrees when I left from Australia, so it was a big difference there. But it was a great experience, for sure.”

==========================================================================================

“My parents love both,” said McVeigh. “They’re really enjoying it, hanging out with all the guys and seeing where I’ll live for the next four years. They’re loving it, for sure, from the people to the coaches at both programs. They’re just taking it all in so that we can make a decision when I go back.

“I’ll probably go back home and make a decision within the next week and then sign in April.”

I may have met his family outside the arena before the game.

That is cool you're bilingual, are you fluent in Australian?

If he comes to Nebraska I'll be able to help you with the translations if you like.   :D

They may have been his family or they may just have been some rando Aussies, but we were discussing how cold it was and I couldn't help but notice one of them did smile and say, "We'll just get used to it I suppose" or something like that.  It was the certainty of the "We will" part of it that caught my attention.   ;)

WE WILL WIN

LSU gets a commit from Antonio Blakeney, a high level shooting guard commit.  LSU class is loaded.  Wonder if McVeigh has a committable offer.  

Not sure though LSU still has a schollie to give

Other monetary options still exist...just saying.

Wow to LSU's rise.  It's impressive.  I don't want to suggest anything nefarious....

OR DO I

OK, the level of the competition in this clip is absolutely putrid.  It looks like a pick-up game at the rec center.  But it does show some things.

1.  McVeigh has a great shot.  I love his mechanics.  He has a very compact windup and delivery.  No wasted, herky jerky motion.  Just windup and release.  And linear.  From his shoulder through his elbow to his fingertips. 

2,  It's a very quick release, so he'll be able to launch his shot even without a ton of space.  It also looks very repeatable.  He's shooting it off the dribble in this clip.

3.  Decent elevation on the jump.  Not great elevation, but I don't know that he was trying that hard in this clip.  Again, it looks like a pick-up game at the rec center.  Still, he's not shooting it flat footed.

4.  Hard to judge his athleticism but his ball-handling skills appear to leave something to be desired.  Looks like an Australian kid who hasn't watched enough American basketball.  But that can be fixed.  Fortunately, the shooting doesn't need to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C49wdsJ43c

Absolutely putrid is giving the level of competition far too much credit. 

The UNL Rec center looks more competitive

multcourt.JPG

Is that a vintage photograph?  Because I think I recognize myself over there dribbling down the floor.

Ah, me.  Once was a day when Norm could hoop.  And then the knee went eek and the back went oof and then the gut went whoa, out to here, and then the shoulder went creek and the shooting wrist went yow ...

And don't laugh all you youngsters because if you're lucky enough to make it this far, you'll feel it too.

Used to be I had some game.  Now, I just watch.