Tyronn Lue

The problem is that Cleveland is in "win now" mode.  While Cleveland has the first overall draft pick, word is that Lebron would only return if there was two superstars waiting to play with him.  Since Cleveland already has a superstar in the making with Kyrie Irving, it would need to trade for Kevin Love to get that second superstar.  Love would potentially cost Cleveland at least the 1st overall draft pick along with 1-2 players (e.g. Dion Waiters, Anthony Bennett) and another pick in 2015.  All that with no guarantee that Love will sign an extension.

Plus IF Cleveland gets Love for both 2014 picks and Anthony Bennett, and Love signs, there still is the possibility that Lebron will not like the supporting cast (resigning Spencer Hawes would be a must).  Too many things would have to go perfectly.  If it doesn't, Cleveland could potentially be set back another few years.  For a young, starting out head coach, the situation would just not be a good idea. 

However, if Cleveland were to be patient, Lue may work out.  Cleveland still needs interior scoring (which Anthony Bennett was not able to resolve) and is really 2 players away from legitimately looking like a strong playoff team.  The Luol Deng trade really didnt work out and word is that Dion Waiters is a cancer in the locker room.   Tristen Thompson is good defensively but lacks a reliable offensive game.  Zeller is pretty much a backup.   

• 3 weeks later...

So close. Could have been big for the program. He'll get his shot

How might that have been big for the program?  Honestly, I have no idea.

Do schools get recruiting boosts if their former players are NBA coaches? 

So close. Could have been big for the program. He'll get his shot

How might that have been big for the program? Honestly, I have no idea.

Do schools get recruiting boosts if their former players are NBA coaches?

I would pitch it as a former star player is now an NBA coach, so you know Lue will be watching the Husker season. Recruits will know that an Nba head coach will be keeping up with most of their games. Good nba exposure

I am sure this is a blow for Tyronn, but he is an up and comer, who is working for a very well respected head coach.  He will get other opportunities.  Think about, he has only been a true assistant for one year and almost got the gig.  Based upon what I heard at his Husker HOF induction, he is still a close friend of the Husker program.  He will always bleed a bit of Husker red.

Might be better toward establishing an identity apart from Doc Rivers...

How much more > is Associate Head Coach > Assistant Coach?

I would tend to think that besides commanding a higher salary than a regular AC, it somewhat gives him a bit of a resume boost too. It all helps when you are still trying to land that first HC gig.