Jamall Gregory 2014 SG (Visit)

Have we offered a scholarship?

I haven't seen any news. So at this point, if he is offered, there won't be a letter of intent involved so any commitment will just be a word of mouth agreement? Or he could sign a financial aid agreement?

any news?

I hope we pass on this kid and hold out for better opportunities.

I trust Miles' eye for talent, but I certainly wouldn't be "excited" about him as a prospect. He can run and jump, but you don't really see a lot of basketball skills in his highlights.

That said, I think we have a coach who can get the absolute most out of someone's talent, and the kid sounds like a hardworker.

Might be a good red shirt type of guy. Sounds like he currently working on his game, 500 jump shots a day sometimes more. And he seems to be a hard worker. Don't really see a down side being he is still around this late in the game.

that's what im thinking, you need guys either has part time starters or bench guys who can simpy go get it ex: Caleb Walker. I like this kid i hope we pick him up. 

Might be a good red shirt type of guy. Sounds like he currently working on his game, 500 jump shots a day sometimes more. And he seems to be a hard worker. Don't really see a down side being he is still around this late in the game.

The downside could be that you tie up a scholarship for the next 4 or 5 years.  I trust Miles as well but that is what got us in trouble under Sadler who would just sign anyone willing to come here instead of holding out for better talent.  I think we have a chance for a big recruiting splash next year if we have a good season again.  I'd rather have this spot open for that as opposed to just signing a kid you have to redshirt and hope he pans out when we don't really have a strong need for him right at the moment. 

We will have 3 that graduate next year. If Tarren has another great year we will have 4 spots open. Jamall wouldn't hurt us that bad on numbers and fills a need we will need the following year anyway. I also don't see him as that big of a stretch. He isn't like the kind of players that Doc brought in. And as someone else said, he can leave after a year or two and we would be not any worse for the wear.

The downside could be that you tie up a scholarship for the next 4 or 5 years. I trust Miles as well but that is what got us in trouble under Sadler who would just sign anyone willing to come here instead of holding out for better talent. I think we have a chance for a big recruiting splash next year if we have a good season again. I'd rather have this spot open for that as opposed to just signing a kid you have to redshirt and hope he pans out when we don't really have a strong need for him right at the moment.

An option as, say, Plan D might be worth a flyer on this high flyer. Miles & Co. certaintly have a number of their high-priority transfer prospects ahead of Gregory. But, Jamall could be a fallback option if the staff thought they could develop him into a viable off-the-bench contributor within a yr...

And as someone else said, he can leave after a year or two and we would be not any worse for the wear.

I can't believe that I just wrote that. I hate when we throw kids away because they don't fit. And I don't just mean Nebraska, I mean all of college sports. There are good reasons to ask a player to leave, but to just "help" players to leave because somebody else has come along and they are nor needed any more isn't right to me.

Can't believe I even thought that. Must be reading about UNLV too much.;)

so did we pass on this kid? didn't miles have to decide right away?

If he wanted to lock him into a LOI yes but he has until August to sign financial aid agreement papers with a school then can sign when school starts.

I think the staff is taking their time here. As you mention, Kamdy, the LOI deadline has passed. There's now no reason to rush into an agreement with Jamall as he's available as he didn't sign an LOI, didn't commit to any of the schools on his list by the deadline. I don't know how it went or what the staff told him but he's going to be available for us to take at any point until fall semester starts. No need to rush into anything.

Caleb Walker and Myles Holley contributed a lot more than an empty seat.

Sign him and align that athleticism with skills, Tim.

While I agree that those two contributed way more than an empty seat and believe its a no-brainer that Gregory would do the same...I think it goes a lot deeper than that. The coaches have time here. I think he would be a pretty good get, but the staff knows best. I have no idea what they're doing here, but if they feel we have some good opportunities with transfers yet (White from KU, etc) then I understand waiting and not letting this be a knee jerk reaction to hurry up and lock him down. Would be a good catch this late, good athleticism, may be a diamond in the rough, flying slightly under the radar, but there's also a reason he's still available with offers he has. Then you have to pair the prospects of landing a transfer with how it's looking for the 2015 class and if it's likely we could grab an extra guy there. Guys we've been talking to and offering scholarships to almost 2 years before we heard of Jamall Gregory. I don't know what is going on. I have no inside info. I'd be happy if we added him. But I'm fine with the wait and see if that is what's going on.

Caleb Walker and Myles Holley contributed a lot more than an empty seat.

Sign him and align that athleticism with skills, Tim.

Myles Holley did? Are you kidding me? Other than some spectacular dunks against 250+ RPI teams at garbage time, he did virtually nothing prior to transferring. Now, that has nothing to do with whether we sign Gregory, a subject to which I defer to the coaches, but in the interest of historical accuracy....

I'm ok landing White and leaving an open scholarship. Especially if the coaches feel good about landing a full class in 2015.

If that's the case, we might as well add Dwight Smith since it wouldn't hurt anything.

I think that if Miles wanted Smith, he woulda got him alredy. Its prolly okay to read into the lack of doing that.

Btw, do anybody know for sure that Smith graduated? Senior exception only applies if he actually got hisself a degree. since we aint heard nothing bout him going anywhere yet, it make me wonder.

I'm ok landing White and leaving an open scholarship. Especially if the coaches feel good about landing a full class in 2015.

If that's the case, we might as well add Dwight Smith since it wouldn't hurt anything.

I think that if Miles wanted Smith, he woulda got him alredy. Its prolly okay to read into the lack of doing that.

Btw, do anybody know for sure that Smith graduated? Senior exception only applies if he actually got hisself a degree. since we aint heard nothing bout him going anywhere yet, it make me wonder.

Smith has graduated

It is important to put team character and chemistry into the mix.  I am not saying that Biggs and Tyrance were an issue last year, but what happened when they left...somehow we got better.  So as we add senior transfers, it is important that the players fit the system and the personalities that are here...just saying...