What now?

I’m going to be that guy I guess – this offseason has been really disappointing. You would have thought we would have capitalized a little bit better than what has transpired.

Agreed. We're obviously well ahead of schedule, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing. We're in on some good players, but we haven't proven to be closers just yet. Hopefully another good year and a trip to the Sweet 16 will change things.

I’m going to be that guy I guess – this offseason has been really disappointing. You would have thought we would have capitalized a little bit better than what has transpired.

Agreed. We're obviously well ahead of schedule, but that doesn't make it any less disappointing. We're in on some good players, but we haven't proven to be closers just yet. Hopefully another good year and a trip to the Sweet 16 will change things.

We've covered this ground before, but NU's success largely came after most of the top recruits had signed back in November. The success we had this year should plough the ground for recruiting improvements in November. If you look at the places we've lost players to, it's not mid majors. It's always a bummer to see a player pick another school, but Deng went to a school coming off a sweet 16. Cornish is going to a school that's had a lot of recruiting success and has a track record of success. We were right in that mix. It might not be the progress we want to see, but it is progress. This isn't an instant gratification deal, but we should see a little more fruit of the labor of this season over the summer and in the fall. Stay the course, fellas, don't get downtrodden, it's way too early for that.

We've covered this ground before, but NU's success largely came after most of the top recruits had signed back in November. The success we had this year should plough the ground for recruiting improvements in November. If you look at the places we've lost players to, it's not mid majors. It's always a bummer to see a player pick another school, but Deng went to a school coming off a sweet 16. Cornish is going to a school that's had a lot of recruiting success and has a track record of success. We were right in that mix. It might not be the progress we want to see, but it is progress. This isn't an instant gratification deal, but we should see a little more fruit of the labor of this season over the summer and in the fall. Stay the course, fellas, don't get downtrodden, it's way too early for that.
As I said, we're ahead of schedule, so there's a lot to be excited about, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be disappointed in how things have turned out since our tournament run ended. I'm not an "instant gratification guy" per se. I didn't expect us to land all of our targets, but we're right there at the end with some pretty good prospects and we aren't closing the deal. It's OK to admit that it's not all puppy dogs and ice cream. That's just how things go sometimes. It doesn't mean Miles is failing or the staff is failing. But it does mean that they have some work left to do. I believe they'll get there.

Obviously there are transfers out there to be had, so hopefully we snag at least one who can play right away.

As I said, we're ahead of schedule, so there's a lot to be excited about, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be disappointed in how things have turned out since our tournament run ended.

Obviously there are transfers out there to be had, so hopefully we snag at least one who can play right away.

But that's just it, I don't think there's anything to be disappointed about. On a micro level, perhaps, but anything bigger than that, I don't think there is at all.

I understand people being disapointed but I disagree with the offseason being a disapointment. We've upgraded our roster with solid palyers. They aren't big named blockbusters but no one on our roster was when they came in. Except maybe Tai and that might have been partly our fault for throwing so much hype on the poor kid.

As I said, we're ahead of schedule, so there's a lot to be excited about, but that doesn't mean we shouldn't be disappointed in how things have turned out since our tournament run ended.

But that's just it, I don't think there's anything to be disappointed about. On a micro level, perhaps, but anything bigger than that, I don't think there is at all.

I guess I'm not the optimist you are. And I don't want anyone to take this as doom and gloom or that I'm being a Chicken Little, it's just disappointing that we couldn't capitalize on the opportunities we had to add some extremely talented players to our program.

I like the players we've signed so far, and especially Tarin Smith, who I believe will start at the point next year. Hammond is a good developmental prospect who needs a redshirt season, and Ayegba brings experience, physical strength and a guy who can protect the rim.

However, the class has to be evaluated in the context of the spots available, and in that regard it's a pretty major disappointment when you only fill 3 of 5 available scholarships by the end of the late period. They just can't keep coming up short like this in filling scholarship numbers. Obviously, they may find 1-2 late transfers in the coming weeks/months, but it really shouldn't have come to this IMO. 

I for one am concerned about recruiting with this staff, but I'm honestly not sure how much the staff is at fault. At this point, I blame most of their difficulties on the program itself. The Nebrasketball brand just doesn't have the cache yet that all of us wish it did, and the program's abysmal history makes it very tough on any staff. 

I'll repeat what I said earlier, however, which is that I believe Craig Smith was a huge recruiting loss. Go back and look at how many guys he's brought in over the past two years. 

I understand people being disapointed but I disagree with the offseason being a disapointment. We've upgraded our roster with solid palyers. They aren't big named blockbusters but no one on our roster was when they came in. Except maybe Tai and that might have been partly our fault for throwing so much hype on the poor kid.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I think the class of Hammond, Smith and Ayegba is solid, but certainly nothing great in the B1G. I think Fuller should be able to help out next year. We had a great opportunity to take advantage of some positive momentum from March on, and we basically struck out.

In Miles I trust, but that doesn't mean I'm pleased with how things have gone since our season ended.

Uneblinstu is exactly right. If Vaughn is not a recruit there we get him. Some bonds can't be broken. We were in the mix ...still feel he will get caught up in the wrong things and distractions. Sad to see a brother martin brother make a iffy decision I do hope he does very well though!

Pretty disappointing IMO...we haven't seemed to have been seriously pursuing any of the other available transfers (see the Transfer thread).  It looks like we put all our eggs in the Deng and Cornish baskets, and didn't pursue some transfers in parallel. 

So now we are starting all over it appears.  If our intent all along was to pursue transfers i would hope we've been doing that all along, not only after Cornish and Deng fell through.

Pretty disappointing IMO...we haven't seemed to have been seriously pursuing any of the other available transfers (see the Transfer thread).  It looks like we put all our eggs in the Deng and Cornish baskets, and didn't pursue some transfers in parallel. 

So now we are starting all over it appears.  If our intent all along was to pursue transfers i would hope we've been doing that all along, not only after Cornish and Deng fell through.

A lot of transfers are teams' Plans C and D, so they're waiting to see how things shake out. Hopefully we snag a guy soon enough. Petteway was a late addition, no?

I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I think the class of Hammond, Smith and Ayegba is solid, but certainly nothing great in the B1G. I think Fuller should be able to help out next year. We had a great opportunity to take advantage of some positive momentum from March on, and we basically struck out.

In Miles I trust, but that doesn't mean I'm pleased with how things have gone since our season ended.

That's what I was saying. You have every right to not be pleased with how things have gone since the season ended. But saying the offseason was a disapointment is a leap in my book. We missed out on some guys yes, but its because of last season that we were even in the discussion.

Additionally, I'm not saying you said it was a disapointment. If it wasn't you I'm sorry I made it sound like you did. I don't remember who said it. I was speaking in broad terms.

So we sign two other one or two stars and fill the scholarships? Welcome to the big boys game where you don't just have to beat the likes of Georgia State and Akron for recruiting. We all wanted to be here, now I'm reading posts that make me think people just want to sign to sign and fill scholarships.