What now?

I understand people being disapointed but I disagree with the offseason being a disapointment. We've upgraded our roster with solid palyers. They aren't big named blockbusters but no one on our roster was when they came in. Except maybe Tai and that might have been partly our fault for throwing so much hype on the poor kid.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I think the class of Hammond, Smith and Ayegba is solid, but certainly nothing great in the B1G. I think Fuller should be able to help out next year. We had a great opportunity to take advantage of some positive momentum from March on, and we basically struck out.

In Miles I trust, but that doesn't mean I'm pleased with how things have gone since our season ended.

That's what I was saying. You have every right to not be pleased with how things have gone since the season ended. But saying the offseason was a disapointment is a leap in my book. We missed out on some guys yes, but its because of last season that we were even in the discussion.

Not to nitpick, but by offseason I meant since the season ended. I think we're arguing semantics now. It's all good.

So we sign two other one or two stars and fill the scholarships? Welcome to the big boys game where you don't just have to beat the likes of Georgia State and Akron for recruiting. We all wanted to be here, now I'm reading posts that make me think people just want to sign to sign and fill scholarships.

Who's saying that?

I understand people being disapointed but I disagree with the offseason being a disapointment. We've upgraded our roster with solid palyers. They aren't big named blockbusters but no one on our roster was when they came in. Except maybe Tai and that might have been partly our fault for throwing so much hype on the poor kid.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I think the class of Hammond, Smith and Ayegba is solid, but certainly nothing great in the B1G. I think Fuller should be able to help out next year. We had a great opportunity to take advantage of some positive momentum from March on, and we basically struck out.

In Miles I trust, but that doesn't mean I'm pleased with how things have gone since our season ended.

That's what I was saying. You have every right to not be pleased with how things have gone since the season ended. But saying the offseason was a disapointment is a leap in my book. We missed out on some guys yes, but its because of last season that we were even in the discussion.

Not to nitpick, but by offseason I meant since the season ended. I think we're arguing semantics now. It's all good.

Yes we are, happens a lot around here.

Good talk. You guys have fun, I'll be soaking up some sun in Omaha for the next few day.

So we sign two other one or two stars and fill the scholarships? Welcome to the big boys game where you don't just have to beat the likes of Georgia State and Akron for recruiting. We all wanted to be here, now I'm reading posts that make me think people just want to sign to sign and fill scholarships.

No, I believe everyone who's disappointed that we didn't fill the scholarships in the late period is referring to filling the class with recruits of a certain quality. Everyone understands that they could just fill the class if they wanted by lowering standards. No one's talking about that. 

No, I believe everyone who's disappointed that we didn't fill the scholarships in the late period is referring to filling the class with recruits of a certain quality. Everyone understands that they could just fill the class if they wanted by lowering standards. No one's talking about that.

I think most of us agree that it will need to be filled by transfers, hopefully one of which is a 5th-year guy (and hopefully a SG type).

Struck out in '14, perhaps.  Even that's a little strong, though, because we got a couple in the spring.

The big test is '15.  That's the class where we need to parlay the success of our NCAA run in getting some bigger name players to commit.  It's the November class that really counts for a lot. 

Cornish matters not to the '15 class.  (By '15 class, I'm talking about the guys who sign in November of '14 and would start their careers in the fall of '15.)  And the positive momentum we hope to capture from our NCAA run doesn't end with the spring '14 signing period.  There's some significant lag on that surge.  It takes awhile for it to get here.  Probably ramps up gradually, not suddenly.  The bigger wave will probably hit as we approach November.

Meanwhile, I think we have to cast a broad net, which appears to be exactly what Miles is doing, frankly.  Make as many offers as possible and beat the pavement looking for guys who have flown under the radar as well as guys who have flown right into the radar that respond to our recruiting efforts.

By no means am I willing to write the epitaph on the success we hoped to see in recruiting following our better-than-expected season this year.  I think the recruiting bump is something we'll probably see more for the '15 class than the '14 class.  But '15, we better ink some players.  Gotta hit a recruiting home run this fall.

I love me some Timmy Miles.  However, 2014 recruiting has been a disappointment.  Yes, I understand that it takes time to build the brand and cultivate relationships but at some point you have to get it done.  So maybe in the short term it would better fit us to go after guys we think we have a better shot at landing and going after some studs after we've built the relationship (as it seems with 2015). 

Having said all that, the recent results are disappointing/disconcerting.  There is now immense pressure to bring a solid 2015 class.  Think about it this way, two years from now our roster will consist of the following:

Webster

Fuller

Hammond

Tarin Smith

That's it.

I'm not trying to rain on the parade. I think the class of Hammond, Smith and Ayegba is solid, but certainly nothing great in the B1G. I think Fuller should be able to help out next year. We had a great opportunity to take advantage of some positive momentum from March on, and we basically struck out.In Miles I trust, but that doesn't mean I'm pleased with how things have gone since our season ended.

Struck out in '14, perhaps.  Even that's a little strong, though, because we got a couple in the spring.

The big test is '15.  That's the class where we need to parlay the success of our NCAA run in getting some bigger name players to commit.  It's the November class that really counts for a lot. 

Cornish matters not to the '15 class.  (By '15 class, I'm talking about the guys who sign in November of '14 and would start their careers in the fall of '15.)  And the positive momentum we hope to capture from our NCAA run doesn't end with the spring '14 signing period.  There's some significant lag on that surge.  It takes awhile for it to get here.  Probably ramps up gradually, not suddenly.  The bigger wave will probably hit as we approach November.

Meanwhile, I think we have to cast a broad net, which appears to be exactly what Miles is doing, frankly.  Make as many offers as possible and beat the pavement looking for guys who have flown under the radar as well as guys who have flown right into the radar that respond to our recruiting efforts.

By no means am I willing to write the epitaph on the success we hoped to see in recruiting following our better-than-expected season this year.  I think the recruiting bump is something we'll probably see more for the '15 class than the '14 class.  But '15, we better ink some players.  Gotta hit a recruiting home run this fall.

I don't necessarily disagree with anything you wrote, and admittedly I am looking at this as a short-term loss. The big payoff needs to come in 2015.

But since our season ended, we added Ayegba and lost Hawkins and Vooch (not huge losses) while failing to close on Deng and Cornish or any of the impact transfers that hit the market (as of yet). It's a disappointment, but certainly not the end of the world.

Reminds me of what we said about the Shields, Petteway, Pitchford group when they came on board.

I think most of us agree that it will need to be filled by transfers, hopefully one of which is a 5th-year guy (and hopefully a SG type).

https://twitter.com/GoodmanESPN/status/468862737339412480

I'm with Kamdy. Next year he has to hit with everyone. Had they filled out the classes a but more you can afford to miss on a guy. This just puts an abundance of pressure to get 2015 kids. It also allowed us to replace the big 3 slowly. While I like the 2 we got and they are upgrades, they are both in the mold of front line support. Not guys who take over a game. While I'm happy, one more get was needed.

My first post so go easy on me. I've been following for awhile and I truly respect what everyone has to say regarding Husker bball. It's nice to finally see this much excitement for the program from everyone. That said.. I'm going to be patient with this staff as they continue to build this program from the ground up, 1 brick at a time. Numbers wise I think we'll be ok, esp if we can land another senior transfer and another transfer that will sit out this next year. My only real concern going into next season and making another tourney run (and keeping the ball rolling with recruiting) that we all hope we can do.. is we stay healthy, esp at key positions. B10s a brutal, physical conference. Thats all, carry on. Enjoy all of your comments!

My first post so go easy on me. I've been following for awhile and I truly respect what everyone has to say regarding Husker bball. It's nice to finally see this much excitement for the program from everyone. That said.. I'm going to be patient with this staff as they continue to build this program from the ground up, 1 brick at a time. Numbers wise I think we'll be ok, esp if we can land another senior transfer and another transfer that will sit out this next year. My only real concern going into next season and making another tourney run (and keeping the ball rolling with recruiting) that we all hope we can do.. is we stay healthy, esp at key positions. B10s a brutal, physical conference. Thats all, carry on. Enjoy all of your comments!

Welcome to the board, great first post

When you are not a "big name" program like KU, Kentucky or Duke sitting on an endless vein of golden talent, recruiting becomes more like panning for nuggets. Some weeks you work all day for a bunch of mud and sometimes you find several nuggets in one day. The trick is to keep panning diligently and to be able to tell the difference between fool's gold and the real stuff. And that is the analogy lesson for this week, boys and girls.

As i understand it, if we dont fill the two remaining scholrships this off-season we will have have five scholarships to fill in 2015.   And that assumes no one transfers.  The NU stafff has to spend the entire summer, on the ground, establishing meaningful relationships and reviewing talent.

Cornish hard to figure, turns down soon-to-be-cost- of-attendance money to attend a mid-major.

As i understand it, if we dont fill the two remaining scholrships this off-season we will have have five scholarships to fill in 2015. And that assumes no one transfers. The NU stafff has to spend the entire summer, on the ground, establishing meaningful relationships and reviewing talent.

Cornish hard to figure, turns down soon-to-be-cost- of-attendance money to attend a mid-major.

The good news is that this had already happened for the 2015 guys. Many of our 2015 offers are guys that have been on our radar for 2 years or more. So while we will undoubtedly hear of additional 2015 guys, the establishing relationships part you mention for this summer will be for 2016, 2017 guys and beyond. It's a multi year cycle. You don't just start establishing relationships with guys the summer right before the fall that they can sign.

I should expand on this and say that the 2015 recruiting cycle is the first one where Tim Miles and staff at Nebraska aren't coming in late to the party in terms of relationships/connections/offers with these recruits. I think that is why many are tabbing the 2015 class as the 'make or break' class for TM. He's had the proper amount of time and now is the time to see the results. I think we'll do alright.

Not a one of us will be complaining if at the end of summer we have Watson, baptiste and Morrow on board. Stick with it!

Yes. Dare I say that 2015 is the year we get an early commit or two? Yes, it will happen. No more waiting and sweating things out all the way down to the wire. Time for us to get that early guy that can help recruit the rest of the class that wants to come in and play together. We need that one to dive in and say to the others that the water is fine here at Nebraska. This summer we get that commitment. Morrow?