Proposed Rule Changes...charging, restricted-area arc,post defense

trickey

Several different recommendations from the Men’s Basketball Rules Committee. (All rules alterations must be approved by the NCAA Playing Rules Oversight Panel, which convenes via teleconference on June 25.) For me, the most important recommendation would have the definition of charging changed so that, defenders will be required to be in legal guarding position before offensive players leave the floor...rather than when the offensive players begin their upward movement (which virtually eliminated charging and handicapped defenses in my opinion.) Here is the article:

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/men%E2%80%99s-basketball-committee-adjusts-criteria-calling-charges-blocks

I still don't fully understand the difference between first upward movement and leaving the floor. The seemed to call more charges as the year went on. I would prefer the option where it's really hard or almost impossible to draw a charge and they force the defense to actually play defense instead of standing there getting ready to flop backward. They did this with the secondary defender thing this year. Made it very hard for the off ball defender to take a charge. I like that. With this they just need to emphasize calling offensive fouls on ball handlers who initiate contact when the defender is in legal guarding position but not set. The kind where the defender is sliding along and the offensive player dips his shoulder to create the contact.

I still don't fully understand the difference between first upward movement and leaving the floor. The seemed to call more charges as the year went on. I would prefer the option where it's really hard or almost impossible to draw a charge and they force the defense to actually play defense instead of standing there getting ready to flop backward. They did this with the secondary defender thing this year. Made it very hard for the off ball defender to take a charge. I like that. With this they just need to emphasize calling offensive fouls on ball handlers who initiate contact when the defender is in legal guarding position but not set. The kind where the defender is sliding along and the offensive player dips his shoulder to create the contact.

Under last year's goofy ruling...if a player began his "upward movement" 2 steps before he picked up the ball...he could not be stopped...start it from outside the arc...and give me a layup or 2 free throws!

This year's proposed rule is still more liberal compared to the offensive rules from 2 years ago...but not as big a joke/detriment! 

Let's get great defense back in the game!

Best change is the timeout deal. Nothing worse than a team timeout at 12:04 and then a media timeout at 11:56.

I agree.  There are way to many timeouts and stoppages of play.  I wish they would just make all the team timeouts 30 second ones but this is a good start to keep a little more flow to the game.

I like the proposed changes but it will still come down to how each individual ref interprets the rule. If the young short bald ref calls it one way and the shaved headed old guy calls the opposite thing next time down the court any proposed changes are useless. Just want to see consistent calls made on both ends of the court.

im not a fan of there proposed post rule changes, they are taking all the physicality out of the post game.

Although, at one point, umm, from about the beginning of the game of basketball until about, ooohhh, ten years ago; talent, athletism and skill were the important components of a basketball player, including the center.  

im not a fan of there proposed post rule changes, they are taking all the physicality out of the post game.

Although, at one point, umm, from about the beginning of the game of basketball until about, ooohhh, ten years ago; talent, athletism and skill were the important components of a basketball player, including the center.  

im not saying a center shouldn't  have those components, but the way the rule is defined, it dosnt allow for alot of contact in the post defensively, im not saying that it needs to be like the 80s were it was free reign to just clothesline people but being able to have a little bit of contact in the post would be nice. 

It'll be awesome if they start calling more offensive fouls in the post for aggressively backing down a defender who has established position.  The nearly unbridled ability for offensive players to initiate contact has always bugged me.

this i would like

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Charge Block Call is not that hard to call...but I don't understand why we want to handcuff the defense.

Whoever gets to a spot first, should be granted that spot....(I guess I can understand, not allowing a defensive player to slide into a position after the offensive player is airborne)...

But what really frustrates me is when a defensive player is called for a block, when the offensive player picked up the ball too early and actually travelled with the ball before making contact....and instead of a turnover, they award the player two free throws.