Something ain't right

The turnover among staff members likely hasn’t helped Miles' early high school recruiting, nor has the fact that only Hunter has had significant recent high major experience.  Molinari could turn out be a great hire, and he does have a couple of Minnesota years sandwiched in between a lot of mid major years, but it's arguable that a younger guy, especially one with high major recruiting experience, would have been at least as good of a choice.  But the hire's been made, so hopefully this current group will stick together for two or more years.

I actually like Molinari for his recruiting ties.  The guy has spent 33 years coaching in the Big 10 region.  Between Depaul, NIU, WIU, UM, Bradley, and Ball State he has been connected with many coaches at high schools and AAU programs all across the footprint that will be the easiest for NU to sell recruits on.  The years alone in Illinois will prove invaluable because of all the incredible basketball talent in the state.

A Glynn Watson commit would provide a lot of validation for what you're saying.

Really enjoying the discussion in this topic. Good stuff guys.

For some reason I'm the exact opposite from Cookie--this thread and discussion are incredibly frustrating and disappointing: it's like listening to a guy who just won a multi-million $ lottery complain about finances. For Pete's sake, whatever happened to "long, lean and under-rated"? By definition, Tim Miles' recruits will apparently be a disappointment to most. Heck, look at what Tim Miles did at Colorado State with few-to-none stars behind his recruit's names.

And for the record, NU is not a tough place to recruit--just ask Tim Miles and, as he says, Connie Yori, John Cook, etc.

And for the further record, the world of college basketball is filled with highly-rated recruits whose college performance falls somewhere between "disappointing" and "crashed and burned." Just look at the list of multi-star transfers this year and every other recent year. And then compare them with the over-achieving-from-expectations performance of most players on Tim Miles teams, such as the likes of Benny Parker, Shavon Shields, Walter Pitchford, Terran Petteway, Leslee Smith, and all the scholarship seniors on the prior year's team.

Assuming Cookie is liking this thread because it has stayed civil (when it easily could have gotten nasty) with posters offering respectful perspectives, I can see why one would enjoy this discussion.

That being said, I agree with the crux of Swan's postions of "Why are we even having this conversation?"  and "Will anyone ever be satisfied with Miles?"  

In the last few months, the Nebrasketball expectations have morphed into seemingly unrealistic expectations by a vocal "Win NOW and I don't care about yesterday" crowd who shove allegedly empiric examples in front of us as evidence of dire straights.  Let's take ISU.  In the last 20 years (and I am using 20 years only because we are dealing with 18-20 year old recruits), ISU has had:

4 conference championships (regular season or tournament or both)     Nebraska has 1 in the same period

9 NCAA Tournament appearances with a 12-9 record and an average 5 seed Nebraska has 3 with an 0-3 record

10 NBA draft picks 6 in the first round; 5 of which came within the last 10 years. Nebraska has 3 and none in the last 10 years

4 first and second team All-Americans.  Nebraska has 3 with 0 in the last 10 years

ISU is just not a good comparison.  At least ISU has some history and made it into the Sweet 16 this season as well in addition to a conference championship to boot.  

Finally, we all want Nebrasketball to improve.  I have faith it will happen, but not on the time table some are advocating.  Be patient.  Give Miles at least another 1-2 years before attacking his recruiting.     

A lot of great comments on this topic.  Miles is building a great program.  I think a lot of people, including myself are pulling for the guy as much as the program.  We just need to get over the hump with recruiting.  We are doing great things with our current talent, and have scored some nice pickups with the talent brought in over the last two years.  Once we start seeing athletic 6-8 to 6-10 guys showing up on campus, I will be convinced its all good and maybe "something ain't right" is behind us.  Looking forward to the next two or three years!