Something ain't right

I have been a Nebraska basketball fan for a long time and suffered through the ups and downs. It has been an exciting run with coach Miles here, and it is already approaching the excitement of the Danny Née era. I am hopeful we finally got the coach that can get us over the hump and win a tourney game, maybe even a couple of wins some year.

But, if we are gonna get there, we have "GATA" break thru on the recruiting front. Something just ain't right. Lots of angst losing Deng, and several others in the last 6 months that look to be good talent. Tough to watch the little in state talent leave the state. To me, we have a long ways to go with talent and recruiting. Miles has done wonders with what we have. But there is something missing. Something just ain't right.

Great recruiters usually show it right away. Look at Iowa State recently. What does Ames have that is not better in Lincoln. The town, the university, facilities, fans?

How does the talent show up at places like New Mexico, Wichita State, or dare I saw Creighton? Miles looks to be a great floor coach, good at developing talent, and many other things. But we are a long ways from getting the kind of talent here that wins conference championships or sweet 16s.

Thanks for stepping in....Welcome with your first post!

In a few years, I believe we will all marvel at what TM has done...with the substantial help of TO and many others that laid the groundwork..

This thing called Nebrasketball just evolves and advances!

Getting' on the cart before it is traveling to fast...priceless!

Welcome aboard!...

As for "To me, we have a long ways to go with talent and recruiting. Miles has done wonders with what we have. But there is something missing. Something just ain't right."...

You are not watching the CONSTANT up-grade in talent that continues whether you recognize it or not...In 2 years, we went from 200 to 50...and we are only getting better...what do you want/expect?

Next year...6 seed or better!...Don't pinch me!

Great recruiters usually show it right away. Look at Iowa State recently. What does Ames have that is not better in Lincoln. The town, the university, facilities, fans?

How does the talent show up at places like New Mexico, Wichita State, or dare I saw Creighton? Miles looks to be a great floor coach, good at developing talent, and many other things. But we are a long ways from getting the kind of talent here that wins conference championships or sweet 16s.

Hoiberg didn't go the NCAA tournament his first year at ISU. They were a .500 team, 3-13 in the Big 12 and finished in dead last. He had four players total return from the season before. He brought some difference makers via the transfer route. Ejim was left behind by McDermott. He didn't recruit him. Kinda like Shields, he got a little luck there. But Kane was a transfer. Niang might be his first 4 year stud that he's landed and that wasn't until his third recruiting class. And, btw, ISU has some great hoops fans. Even when they were down that was a tough, tough place to play, up until, probably the Wisconsin game, I'd give ISU the clear edge over NU in the fan category. They also have a fairly new practice facility, only a couple of years older than ours. They're really not that far behind NU in the facilities category and have some actual tradition to sell. Don't sell ISU short, they have some selling points on the hoops side.

WSU and Creighton were a core group of players that were there for several years, for he most part and built to this season. That's development over time. CU was more than McDermott. I'm not familiar with UNM enough to comment there.

Honestly, the trajectory I see from Miles looks pretty similar to what Hoiberg has done at ISU. Time will tell if he gets there, but I'm not seeing what you're seeing at all. I mean, he's got the first legit NBA talent at Nebraska since Hamilton and Lue were here. That's a pretty big deal, and that happened pretty quickly after he showed on campus. It showed right away for Miles, too.

I have been a Nebraska basketball fan for a long time and suffered through the ups and downs. It has been an exciting run with coach Miles here, and it is already approaching the excitement of the Danny Née era. I am hopeful we finally got the coach that can get us over the hump and win a tourney game, maybe even a couple of wins some year.

But, if we are gonna get there, we have "GATA" break thru on the recruiting front. Something just ain't right. Lots of angst losing Deng, and several others in the last 6 months that look to be good talent. Tough to watch the little in state talent leave the state. To me, we have a long ways to go with talent and recruiting. Miles has done wonders with what we have. But there is something missing. Something just ain't right.

I'll see what I can do.

I am a huge supporter of Coach Miles and the job he has done...huge.  I am not dissing the recruiting to date, but I am very, very anxious for some recruiting wins.  Very anxious.  WHY...because once we turn the recruiting corner, once we start landing the highest level recruits, THEN we know we are moving to the highest levele of basketball on a consistent basis.   Does that make sense?

man, If I started this thread and stated it like you did.... every one would be calling jaysker on me, kreyton this and that..... LOL Welcome to the board Exile. TM is getting the diff makers to look at NU, its a far cry better than the two before him.

man, If I started this thread and stated it like you did.... every one would be calling jaysker on me, kreyton this and that..... LOL Welcome to the board Exile. TM is getting the diff makers to look at NU, its a far cry better than the two before him.

Try actually talking about Nebraska basketball.  If you've put more effort digging into whomever is coaching the football team than the actual purpose of the forum, you might want to question if you're in the right place.

I feel your pain losing Deng...but be patient for 1 more season.

This season:

-Nebraska returns Big Ten Coach of the year

-National coach of the year

-Big Ten scoring leader

-95% of their offensive production

-while adding a shooter (Fuller)

-a rim protector/shot blocker (Ayegba)

-Nebraska is being ranked in the preseason top-25 in multiple national polls

-BTN analysts are picking Nebraska at #2 preseason in the Big Ten

-Nebraska is primed to make some serious noise on the court next season

All of these things will benefit Nebraska's 2015 recruiting class.

Nebraska is currently the heavy favorite for 2015 PF Ed Morrow. Nebraska is in a good position with 4-5 Rivals150 players...and that list will likely grow, if Nebraska has the type of season that most analysts are projecting. (Ed Morrow and Markis McDuffie are probably the prospects that Nebraska has the best shot of landing).

There is a good chance that Ed Morrow is the headliner of Nebraska's 2015 class...and, in my opinion, he has the ability to make a more immediate impact than any of the prospects that Nebraska has missed out on over he last 2 recruiting classes...and Morrow's ceiling seems to be higher than any of those that Nebraska has missed out on in the last 2 recruiting classes as well.

Nebraska is set to make some noise on the prime time stage this season. Wait to judge the recruiting until the 2015 class is locked in place...

We're always going to lose out on someone we have at the top of our list...this is the nature of recruiting.

We're going to get shot down 4 times for every guy that signs here.

If you want to chart progress, look more at the quality of the guys who are shooting us down and/or the teams we are competing for to get this talent.  It definitely has improved.

The title of this thread raises the opportunity for a brief celebration of where Nebrasketball actually stands today. Thanks to all above who have so capably highlighted the amazing progress of Nebrasketball in a very short time under the leadership of Coach Miles. What is "right" about Nebrasketball today is exceptionally and amazingly and incredibly "right" and would have been, very literally, unbelievable and unpredictable even five months ago.

Nebrasketballer brings up some great points.  But some of these facts are exactly why I am concerned.  I am a huge Miles fan.  The guy is awesome.  Great ambassador for the program.  Looks to be a strong xs and os guy (except for road PSU game).  And has done wonders creating a winning culture that is developing players.

But we have a B1G coach of the year, and one COY award, yet still not able to bring blue chip recruits in.  Coach Miles is doing his part in many ways.  Our program is still not over the hump with recruiting and talent despite all these things.

I am not overly excited about Morrow, based on the film I have seen.  Not sure how well rounded his game is.  Its great watching his athleticism around the rim.  But that it will be different against B1G talent.

Coach Miles took over a HUGE mess and in year 2 he takes us into the NCAA tourney, wins coach of the year, a 4th place finish in the B10 and because we have missed on a few recruits its time to panic? 

NU will ALWAYS be a tough place to recruit too.  Its just the way it is.  ISU has a TON and I mean a TON of in-State talent to recruit too..now, Hoiberg has gone a different route and it has worked out very well for him.  Miles looks to be in the same mold.  Sprinkle in a few HS kids with JUCO's and transfers and get them to buy in. 

Teams like Wichita State and New Mexico have had good basketball success. Marshall has been there for a long time so has built something pretty special there.  The guy can flat out coach too and that's why so many teams want him when jobs open. 

CU will be interesting.  McDermott has been forunate enough to have his son the past 4 seasons.  Yes they signed a couple of nice recruits and got a few transfers, but none have played a game yet so we will see how they pan out.  I would say our transfers (Pitch/Petteway) have done pretty damn well for us as well and still have 2 more years to play (assuming Petteway doesn't leave for the NBA after next year).  Yes Watson and Huff look like good transfer pickups for CU, but they came from Mid-Major programs so you never know how they will do in the Big East?  Not knocking them, just pointing out it will be a different level of competition.

And what I find ironic about so many on the board is they seem so upest losing Deng for example but forget that we are bringing in Tarin Smith, Hammong, Ayegba and Fuller of a RS.  Who's to say they all don't help us down the road?  Hammond may now get the luxury of a RS with Ayegba here for a year.  Tarin Smith may fill in and play right away, or he too could RS with Parker/Webster back.  I'm a HUGE fan of RS freshman if you have the luxury to do so.  Its why I kind of like the 1 year transfer guys a bit when you bring in frosh...it allows them if necessary to RS.  Having them for year 4-5 can pay huge dividends as they will be mentally and physicallyl tougher to play in the B10. 

I'm gonna trust Miles...the guys has done well wherever he has been and already in year 2 put NU in the NCAA's and Nebraska basketball has more buzz around the program now more than I can ever remember.

Nebrasketballer brings up some great points. But some of these facts are exactly why I am concerned. I am a huge Miles fan. The guy is awesome. Great ambassador for the program. Looks to be a strong xs and os guy (except for road PSU game). And has done wonders creating a winning culture that is developing players.

But we have a B1G coach of the year, and one COY award, yet still not able to bring blue chip recruits in. Coach Miles is doing his part in many ways. Our program is still not over the hump with recruiting and talent despite all these things.

I am not overly excited about Morrow, based on the film I have seen. Not sure how well rounded his game is. Its great watching his athleticism around the rim. But that it will be different against B1G talent.

Dude, I don't know what film you've been watching or what recruiting analysts you've been listening to, but they are different from the ones that I have.

Morrow is a stud. Also note that as a junior he held his own vs Jahlil Okafor. He has been playing vs top notch talent. While there is some adjustment for any highschool player when they get to college, it should not take him nearly as long as most. It's not a situation like Agau, where he was playing Nebraska high school basketball, so his adjustment period to play big time college basketball takes years...

We all love what Miles has done so far, but I think it's perfectly fine to express concerns about recruiting.  Nobody expects McDonald's All-Americans, but we need to start landing some recruits in the 75-150 range.  

Ed Morrow would be a good start, but I have a feeling he will eventually get some big-name offers and head elsewhere (remember his family moved him out of Nebraska to get more exposure).

Huskerinexile - Morrow is the real deal.  He held his own vs. both Okafor and Cliff Alexander, who were both 5-star recruits.  His motor is incredible - think Terran Petteway, only more athletic.  If his outside shot continues to develop, he could become a dominant Big Ten player.

Coach agree on the recruiting point.  Don't expect top 50 players, but I remember the talent that Danny Nee brought in.  True we had a rare run of in-state talent that helped, but he brought in some tremendous athletes.  I would like to see coach Miles get a couple of great athletes with size that he can either coach up or that haven't been brought in by the traditional basketball powerhouses.

On Morrow, I guess we will see.  I am not sure about his game away from the basket.  I have not seen him play in person, so I will not claim to be an expert.

Coach agree on the recruiting point. Don't expect top 50 players, but I remember the talent that Danny Nee brought in. True we had a rare run of in-state talent that helped, but he brought in some tremendous athletes. I would like to see coach Miles get a couple of great athletes with size that he can either coach up or that haven't been brought in by the traditional basketball powerhouses.

On Morrow, I guess we will see. I am not sure about his game away from the basket. I have not seen him play in person, so I will not claim to be an expert.

Also, keep in mind, that in Nebraska's system, two of Nebraska's Big Three make their living predominantly by taking the ball to the rack and either finishing at the rim, or getting to the free throw line. I doubt every PF that Nebraska goes after is going to be able to stroke it from outside the way that Pitchford does...but while they are less effective than Pitchford from outside of the arc, they may me more effective in the post.

Also, I would imagine that Miles and the rest of this coaching staff can work on that part of his game with him, if he comes to Nebraska. His "game away from the basket" is something that can be taught/developed with good coaching...but the athleticism that Morrow has can't be taught..

Coach agree on the recruiting point. Don't expect top 50 players, but I remember the talent that Danny Nee brought in. True we had a rare run of in-state talent that helped, but he brought in some tremendous athletes. I would like to see coach Miles get a couple of great athletes with size that he can either coach up or that haven't been brought in by the traditional basketball powerhouses.

On Morrow, I guess we will see. I am not sure about his game away from the basket. I have not seen him play in person, so I will not claim to be an expert.

Plenty of players have dominated at the college level without being able to hit shots from 15 ft and beyond with any consistency.

Based on your avatar I think I will call you Mavsker  :)

thats not UNO, its Omaha South High (SOB=South O Boy) just sayin....

Try actually talking about Nebraska basketball.  If you've put more effort digging into whomever is coaching the football team than the actual purpose of the forum, you might want to question if you're in the right place.

You need to reread my posts, there arent many. your approval I seek not.