Schnider Herard 2016 C -> Miss St -> Maryland

I do not disagree, and we have had success doing so.  Recruiting incoming freshmen can be a crapshoot (as we have historically found out) and those recruits tend to be transfer (out) candidates.  Transfers tend to know this is their last chance (unless your last name is White) and will know it is their last chance to shine.  They are more mature and as long as you recruit higher character and highly motivated players into your system, you should have success.

I was simply pointing out in my previous retort, we do have a couple of combo players currently in our system that are in the development stages.  But then again, if they are frustrated with that development and/or lack of floor time, they may not be anxious to stay put.

I truly believe that there is only a short term focus--win.   There is no long term plan, or worrying about 2018-19.   And the staff knows it.     We win enough over the next 8 weeks or so and Miles will get an extension, things stabilize and are secure, and we emerge with a stronger base in recruiting.    Can go after prospects we can't get to consider us now.  Doors will open.      We don't win a bunch during this time and it's over.   Moos will be making a hire.    A year ago at this time we won at IU and Maryland and won the double OT game vs. Iowa.  Then NW at home happened and we cratered.     I realize a main point of a message board is to have a place to speculate about the future, but I'm not getting out of my skis until we win a bunch of games.    Unlike past years, there is no more time.     Assuming we lose to Purdue, the  Wiscy home game becomes the next must win (like I think NW was).     I think we'll have a few of them, as there just isn't a cushion.  Some years that is melodramatic.   Not this year.   We'll worry about recruiting and transfers and such when we win about 10 more games.      

On 1/4/2018 at 3:04 PM, REDZONEDAN said:

Will Tanner still be on scholarship next year or was this a case of having an extra scholarship and giving it to a walk-on for a year?

I'd assume no but if he keeps playing and contributing I have to think we might.

9 hours ago, HB said:

I truly believe that there is only a short term focus--win.   There is no long term plan, or worrying about 2018-19.    

I don't necessarily buy that.  We only have 1-2 schollies for next year. Currently we're waiting to hear from Thamba which would put us at basically full if he does sign. How much more do we need to fill next year's class at this point?   We have 9 known offers for 2019-20.  How many more should we have out there? 

29 minutes ago, HB said:

Don't buy it all u want.  I'm telling you if we don't win it's all out the window  as this bunch will be fired.  Everyone is just waiting to see what happens 

You seem very confident in this.  Is this just speculation, or have you heard something?  This is a serious question by the way.

1 hour ago, HB said:

Don't buy it all u want.  I'm telling you if we don't win it's all out the window  as this bunch will be fired.  Everyone is just waiting to see what happens 

No, you're right there and there certainly will be some waiting to see what we do.  Your thought that there is no plan though is what I disagree with...I've been watching this stuff for years and as far as I can tell they're recruiting like they're going to be here indefinitely. In other words, I'd put our lack of action in recruiting on being fairly set up for 2018-19 and waiting for guys to make decisions vs basically just punting until we know if this is all going to work out.

10 hours ago, hskr4life said:

You seem very confident in this.  Is this just speculation, or have you heard something?  This is a serious question by the way.

Yes, I have heard things.     I am comfortable stating that we need a winning season and post season play to avoid a change.   How much winning, and what level of post-season play?   I've heard some things there also, but can't take it to the bank.   

10 hours ago, hhcdimes said:

No, you're right there and there certainly will be some waiting to see what we do.  Your thought that there is no plan though is what I disagree with...I've been watching this stuff for years and as far as I can tell they're recruiting like they're going to be here indefinitely. In other words, I'd put our lack of action in recruiting on being fairly set up for 2018-19 and waiting for guys to make decisions vs basically just punting until we know if this is all going to work out.

I didn't articulate it the best.      I didn't mean that the coaches wouldn't put some effort into recruiting, watching the roster and making contacts with prospects.   The assistants keep that going no matter what, to have something to bring to the next job.     But they all know the next few weeks will determine whether any of it will matter.  I mainly was stating that if there ever was a time that  recruiting and roster needs speculation was a waste of energy, this would be it.  We'll know fairly soon.   In the meantime, carry on.

2 hours ago, HB said:

Yes, I have heard things.     I am comfortable stating that we need a winning season and post season play to avoid a change.   How much winning, and what level of post-season play?   I've heard some things there also, but can't take it to the bank.   

If we are going to accomplish any of those things at all, this would seem to be the year to do it (and just in the nick of time for the current staff).  This is arguably Miles best team at Nebraska, and with the apparently 'Down' year for the conference, If we don't have a winning season, top half finish in the B1G, and make the NIT or NCAAs, this staff probably never will and shouldn't deserve to be retained.  (Regardless of what happens at Purdue,  I believe we'll achieve all those goals; and maybe more!  As HB said; we should see soon enough).

4 hours ago, Red Don said:

If we are going to accomplish any of those things at all, this would seem to be the year to do it (and just in the nick of time for the current staff).  This is arguably Miles best team at Nebraska, and with the apparently 'Down' year for the conference, If we don't have a winning season, top half finish in the B1G, and make the NIT or NCAAs, this staff probably never will and shouldn't deserve to be retained.  (Regardless of what happens at Purdue,  I believe we'll achieve all those goals; and maybe more!  As HB said; we should see soon enough).

I am optimistic as well.  

• 2 weeks later...
  • hhcmatt changed the title to Schnider Herard 2016 C -> Miss St -> Maryland
  • 9 months later...