D'Jery Baptiste 2015 C -> Vandy -> UMass

Athletically, he should be in the NBA right now.

I don't see NU having a chance in hell here.  I'd just be tickled if he just makes his unofficial visit.  We've already established I'm not a fan of moral victories in recruiting, but I'd have to think all the big boys will jump all over him.

• 1 month later...

Anybody heard anything about him making an unofficial?  Robin had reported that was their plan a month ago (He and Herard were both going to come up)...they were supposed to come up in "mid-June".  Its June 22nd, and as far as I can tell Baptiste hasn't gone anywhere.

• 3 weeks later...

article on Rivals today discussing Iowa's interest in him.  Listed all the schools that have offered...said he was going to set up his official visits after the end of the July eval period.  Noteworthy that he indicated UConn had backed off of him.  Of the list of schools that have offered, NU should definitely be in the mix for at least a visit.

• 4 weeks later...

Why the love for Vanderbilt? Don't get the connection.

Great school. I'd imagine academics are huge w/ him & his family...

Exactly.  Outside of Duke which provides great academics and hoops, the only major level schools that have great academics and some success on the court are Stanford, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt.  Getting a degree from any of these schools is huge for life after basketball.  I cant blame any kid that chooses these schools based on the degree option.

Why the love for Vanderbilt? Don't get the connection.

Great school. I'd imagine academics are huge w/ him & his family...

Exactly.  Outside of Duke which provides great academics and hoops, the only major level schools that have great academics and some success on the court are Stanford, Notre Dame, and Vanderbilt.  Getting a degree from any of these schools is huge for life after basketball.  I cant blame any kid that chooses these schools based on the degree option.

Vanderbilt is #17 and Notre Dame is #18 on U.S. News' list of the best colleges and universities in the country.

Georgetown comes in at #20.

Cal Bears are tied with G'town at #20.

USC and UCLA are tied at #23.

Michigan is at #28.

North Carolina is #30.

Illinois and Wisconsin are tied at #41.

IMHO, unless you go Ivy or otherwise top 10 (Stanford, Northwestern, MIT, Duke, U of Chicago) then anything from 10-50 is going to be pretty comparable.  Vandy doesn't have anything so special you couldn't find at Wisconsin that would make it worth dealing with all of the kudzu.  Just sayin.

Edited:  Well, OK, Vandy does have ONE THING you can't find much of at Wisconsin that would make it worth dealing with all the kudzu.  Some help with pictures anyone?

Wow.  That's really cool.  I'm sure that'll come in handy at some point in the season if he gets a breakaway at half-court.  I would be curious to see his development since the last highlight or game video that's been posted, though.  I think the most recent video I've seen was from the season before last.

Just came across this video posted on May 6, 2014.  Looks to be a mix of older and more recent highlights.  He is a dang circus freak though...seriously...wow.

Wow, he would probably be the most athletic center to ever step foot in the state of Nebraska

That includes Akoy Agau, Dave Hoppen, Kimani Ffriend, Mikki Moore, Echnique, and even Benoit Benjamin

Wow.  That's really cool.  I'm sure that'll come in handy at some point in the season if he gets a breakaway at half-court.  I would be curious to see his development since the last highlight or game video that's been posted, though.  I think the most recent video I've seen was from the season before last.

Just came across this video posted on May 6, 2014.  Looks to be a mix of older and more recent highlights.  He is a dang circus freak though...seriously...wow.

Wow, he would probably be the most athletic center to ever step foot in the state of Nebraska

That includes Akoy Agau, Dave Hoppen, Kimani Ffriend, Mikki Moore, Echnique, and even Benoit Benjamin

What about DC a.k.a. Derrick Chandler... DC was a stud athletically!

What about DC a.k.a. Derrick Chandler... DC was a stud athletically!

V Hamilton was pretty dang athletic

I finally broke down and googled this kudzu.

http://www.ourstate.com/kudzu/

A tree and cattle farmer from down in the bottom corner of Sampson County, a place of loamy sand, cypress swamps, and tar-paper tobacco barns, where some nights you can still hear bobcats screeching from the woods, McLamb has long been at war with the vine that ate the South. He knows it’s a war he’ll never quite win. Most recently, he tells me, the kudzu invaded a tract of his longleaf pines. “I set these pines out awhile ago,” he says, “and years passed and I just mowed the kudzu or did whatever, you know, to keep it at bay.” And for a while that worked. But then the kudzu started growing, getting bigger, and last summer it strangled 10 acres of pines. “Just climbed right over top of them and killed them,” McLamb says.

So he hired a neighbor to come over with a root rake and a bulldozer, and they combed the kudzu into windrows, and then piled the rows into mounds 12 feet high. Two months later, McLamb came back with pitchfork and a drip torch to burn it all. “And I said, ‘Well, I’ll just dig into it and see how dry it is.’” He sank his pitchfork into a pile and drew out fresh leaves. “Green as a gourd,” he says. “Had not dried one bit.” 

So the neighbor came back, this time with a dump truck and a track hoe. And they picked up the whole tangle of leaves and vines and roots and dirt and threw it into the swamp. “I don’t like kudzu,” McLamb says. “It’s a mean, awful, terrible, hateful plant.”