2015 PF Michael Jacobson - Signed

I understand what he brings to the table but wasn't one of our problems this season the lack of a big man down low. He might turn out to be a great shot but unless he makes 100% of his shots we still need rebounds. This was exactly the PF I wanted. But we will see

I would assume thats what guys like Sehic and Morrow would do. Jacobson is a specialty guy that can come off the bench to give a different look.

Maybe a like a Kyle Korver?

More like Matt Bonner.  Can stretch the defense out with his offense from 3 point and mid-range game but then bang in the paint when on defense with the PF's of the league.

I understand what he brings to the table but wasn't one of our problems this season the lack of a big man down low. He might turn out to be a great shot but unless he makes 100% of his shots we still need rebounds. This was exactly the PF I wanted. But we will see

I would assume thats what guys like Sehic and Morrow would do. Jacobson is a specialty guy that can come off the bench to give a different look.

Maybe a like a Kyle Korver?

More like Matt Bonner.  Can stretch the defense out with his offense from 3 point and mid-range game but then bang in the paint when on defense with the PF's of the league.

We're expecting him to bang the other PF's in the league?!  Today's game sure isn't our father's game anymore.

Here is some info on Jacobson from Washut:

"Jacobson picked Nebraska over other offers from Harvard, Princeton, Brown, Northern Iowa, Wyoming, UTEP, Drake, Northern Colorado, Indiana State, Fordam and Lehigh, while Stanford, Iowa, Iowa State and Vanderbilt had all been showing heavy interest in July."

Jacobson also holds an Iowa St. offer as a tight end.

The Ivy League offers are reflective of his 4.0 GPA.

Tim Miles offered in April, while the "heavy interest" from others came "in July."

Looks like a typical Tim Miles recruit: athletic, smart and under-rated.

Long, lean  & underrated!! :D

I watched some high school game film of Jacobson today online.  I think we got a good one.  Very good shooter, great instincts, aggressive, plays hard, good ball skills.    He reminds me a lot of a typical Wisconsin big man.  If he can bulk up, he's going to be a solid Big Ten player.

I watched some high school game film of Jacobson today online.  I think we got a good one.  Very good shooter, great instincts, aggressive, plays hard, good ball skills.    He reminds me a lot of a typical Wisconsin big man.  If he can bulk up, he's going to be a solid Big Ten player.

I walked away with the same impression. The thing that stood out the most was his aggressive and assertive style. Sometimes players hurt themselves and their teams by being tentative and timid in their play. He shows a lot of confidence. That can make a big difference in a tight game.

Miles has talked about what he looks for in a recruit.  He has said, basically, athleticism first, then skills.  He's not going to recruit a skilled guy who doesn't have the athleticism to play at this level.  He only looks at players who are sufficiently athletic and then tries to recruit the most skilled of those.  That is an approach that makes a lot of sense.  And, with that said, what you can tell from the videos is that this kid has some skills.  What you can't quite get a handle on is his athleticism.  If, as Miles has said, he only looks at guys who are sufficiently athletic, then this is probably a pretty good get for us.  Because it looks to me like he has some skills.  This kid is not a stiff.  Miles seems fairly adept at identifying under-the-radar guys who can contribute in his system.  I don't care who has offered; I think this kid will be fine for us.

Miles has talked about what he looks for in a recruit.  He has said, basically, athleticism first, then skills.  He's not going to recruit a skilled guy who doesn't have the athleticism to play at this level.  He only looks at players who are sufficiently athletic and then tries to recruit the most skilled of those.  That is an approach that makes a lot of sense.  And, with that said, what you can tell from the videos is that this kid has some skills.  What you can't quite get a handle on is his athleticism.  If, as Miles has said, he only looks at guys who are sufficiently athletic, then this is probably a pretty good get for us.  Because it looks to me like he has some skills.  This kid is not a stiff.  Miles seems fairly adept at identifying under-the-radar guys who can contribute in his system.  I don't care who has offered; I think this kid will be fine for us.

I wonder how true this is. Looking at some of the players he's recruited (even if we skip over Serge), I wouldn't say Fuller or Hawkins are particularly athletic players. Are they stiffs? No, but I wouldn't use the word athletic to describe them either.

yea but they still offer enough to compete at this level and their skill (especially Fuller) outweigh some perceived flaws. Look at the kid we brought in for workout over the spring, he could jump out the gym, and i thought we'd offer, but he didn't have the skill-set to back up the athleticism. Secondly, as another poster stated, his coach seems to think he still has a two inches of growth and could add 20-30lbs of good weight to his frame, which if you add to his skill set, and athleticism...makes a pretty darn good player. 

Miles has talked about what he looks for in a recruit. He has said, basically, athleticism first, then skills. He's not going to recruit a skilled guy who doesn't have the athleticism to play at this level. He only looks at players who are sufficiently athletic and then tries to recruit the most skilled of those. That is an approach that makes a lot of sense. And, with that said, what you can tell from the videos is that this kid has some skills. What you can't quite get a handle on is his athleticism. If, as Miles has said, he only looks at guys who are sufficiently athletic, then this is probably a pretty good get for us. Because it looks to me like he has some skills. This kid is not a stiff. Miles seems fairly adept at identifying under-the-radar guys who can contribute in his system. I don't care who has offered; I think this kid will be fine for us.

I wonder how true this is. Looking at some of the players he's recruited (even if we skip over Serge), I wouldn't say Fuller or Hawkins are particularly athletic players. Are they stiffs? No, but I wouldn't use the word athletic to describe them either.

Great pts GATA.

I still think its a questionable commit, but he do bring one thats been lacking recently -- he very physical. His d1 football offers mean he aint soft. I gotta think dat Miles really liked the idea of a physical kid down at the PF spot.

Be interesting to see who else ends up in da class.

yea but they still offer enough to compete at this level and their skill (especially Fuller) outweigh some perceived flaws. Look at the kid we brought in for workout over the spring, he could jump out the gym, and i thought we'd offer, but he didn't have the skill-set to back up the athleticism. Secondly, as another poster stated, his coach seems to think he still has a two inches of growth and could add 20-30lbs of good weight to his frame, which if you add to his skill set, and athleticism...makes a pretty darn good player.

Oh, I'm not down on the player or anything, just questioning whether the athleticism angle is a little overstated. I know there were a number of people here who questioned whether Hawkins really was a B10 caliber athlete. As for Fuller, I don't see him as a good athlete, and there's nothing wrong with it. Skill, size, toughness and shooting can make up for a lot of athletic deficiencies.

• 1 month later...

Sounds like he's an unofficial visitor at the Iowa Iowa state game this weekend. Negative would be losing him to their pitch. Positive is he hits it off with Morrow and they both are N.

It appears he is on an unofficial for football.  With that said, I'm sure the basketball coaches will be in his ear.  

Sounds like he's an unofficial visitor at the Iowa Iowa state game this weekend. Negative would be losing him to their pitch. Positive is he hits it off with Morrow and they both are N.

It appears he is on an unofficial for football.  With that said, I'm sure the basketball coaches will be in his ear.  

Neither Iowa nor ISU have bad basketball programs.  Bother are good to very good.  If their basketball program wants him, it's a sign we picked a good one.  Again. 

(Notice how I said "we"?  Because I had a lot to do with it, right?)

I think he is solid. Dad played hoops at UNO i believe.

That twit-pic of Miles at Jacobson's football game Friday night tells me Miles isn't taking any chances with this innocuous little visit to Iowa Mr. Jacobson took this weekend.  Glad he was there to witness an Iowa loss.  I'm assuming he was there on a basketball visit rather than a football visit, though.  Correct?

Either was he is either interested in Iowa basketball still or....he still has an itch to play football.  I'm sure Miles was given the heads up in regards to the visit but I think its kinda BS he went on the visit.  Perhaps he just wanted a free ticket to the game but I hope we are still actively recruiting his position just in case. 

Jacobson is much more athletic than one would think.  He has exceptional hand/eye coordination and is still growing into his body. 

Define someone who is athletic...there are a number of criteria that can be factored into the definition.  Certainly speed, but in basketball is speed a necessity?  Perhaps, but is it straight forward speed, lateral quickness, acceleration?  Jumping ability is certainly part of being athletic.  Yet one can jump out of the gym, yet may be missing an element of the skill that is important to basketball.  One could certainly argue that Aleks Maric was not all that athletic, but he seemed to understand the game and was, more often than not, in the right place at the right time.

I have always been an advocate of having a team with many different attributes, that can be molded into a strong, versatile unit.  This year, we will have that type of team...I believe Jacobson will fit a very significant future role for our team, as will Fuller, as will Tai, as well Benny and so forth.  One can argue that most players will have a hole or two, but one has to hope that other team members will cover those holes with a slightly different skill set. 

Not bad football highlights for a basketball player...

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/1710365/highlights/149553376

And oh by the way...this from Waukee's first football game of this year:

Michael Jacobson, Senior

Although the Warriors ran the ball on 49 of 61 offensive plays, Jacobson managed to make a big impact when his number was called.  Jacobson’s 64 receiving yards and 2 TDs place him among the top 3 stars of the game.