Huskers Award Night 2014-15

hhcmatt

via Huskers.com

Petteway Earns Jack Moore Award at Team Banquet
Lincoln – The Nebraska basketball team closed the book on a successful 2013-14 season Monday evening with the team’s season-ending banquet at Pinnacle Bank Arena. The crowd saw the Husker players receive their NCAA Tournament watches, got the first look at the 2013-14 highlight film and heard Tim Miles talk about the Huskers’ year, which included a fourth-place Big Ten finish and the school’s first NCAA appearance since 1998.

The highlight of the festivities was the presentation of the team awards, which included the presentation of the Jack Moore Award for Team MVP to sophomore Terran Petteway. The award is named for late Husker guard Jack Moore, a 5-9 playmaker who set 17 school records in a career that ended in 1982. Moore was presented with the 1982 Francis Pomeroy-Naismith Award as the best collegiate player in the nation under six feet tall. A consensus All-Big Eight performer in 1982, Moore was killed in a plane crash in March of 1984.

Petteway earned first-team All-Big Ten honors, as he led the conference in scoring at 18.1 points per game. The 6-foot-6 sophomore topped NU in scoring 21 times and had 12 20-point games, including a career-high 35 points against Minnesota and 30 points against UMass. Petteway averaged 18.6 points per game in Big Ten play, becoming the first Husker since 1981 to lead Nebraska in scoring in conference action. Petteway also averaged 4.8 rebounds and 1.6 assists per game, and led NU in blocked shots (24) and was tied for second in steals (29).

While Petteway was honored by his teammates with the team MVP, two Huskers – sophomore Benny Parker and junior David Rivers – won two team-voted awards apiece. Parker, who led NU in steals, was named the team’s Outstanding Defender and shared the Most Improved award with junior forward David Rivers, whose emergence into the rotation keyed NU’s second half surge. Rivers also was chosen as the Unsung Hero for his efforts on the court. Junior Trevor Menke was awarded the Scout Team MVP, while freshman Nick Fuller’s work in the weight room was recognized, as he was chosen as the team’s Lifter of the Year.

Other awards presented included category honors for top 3-point shooter (Ray Gallegos), assists (Tai Webster), rebounding (Shavon Shields) steals (Benny Parker) as well as for clutch performances (Terran Petteway).

2013-14 Nebraska Basketball Awards
Team Captains - Ray Gallegos, Terran Petteway, Shavon Shields
Jack Moore Most Valuable Player Award - Terran Petteway
Outstanding Defender - Benny Parker
Unsung Hero - David Rivers
Most Improved - Benny Parker and David Rivers
Scout Team MVP - Trevor Menke
Lifter of the Year - Nick Fuller
Top 3-Point Shooter - Ray Gallegos
Mr. Assist - Tai Webster
Chairman of the Boards - Shavon Shields
Most Steals - Benny Parker
Mr. Clutch - Terran Petteway

Izzo's bit in that was hilarious!

“I want to congratulate you on your coach of the year award,'' Izzo said, continuing with tongue firmly in cheek. “I didn't get any flowers or candy or anything for being a big part of that because you kicked our butt.

“I don't why the hell I'm even doing this congratulatory thing because I really don't like you. You cost us a chance to win the Big Ten championship.''

Ray over Walt for top 3 point shooter?

Not so sure I agree with that.

I was thinking the same thing.  I understand giving the award to the senior, but the stats (.410 vs. .335 3pt %) don't back up the distinction.  Still proud of what Ray gave us over his career, especially after deciding to redshirt and really turn into an important player for us his last two years.  Nice tip of the cap to give him the award.

Ray over Walt for top 3 point shooter?

Not so sure I agree with that.

I was thinking the same thing.  I understand giving the award to the senior, but the stats (.410 vs. .335 3pt %) don't back up the distinction.  Still proud of what Ray gave us over his career, especially after deciding to redshirt and really turn into an important player for us his last two years.  Nice tip of the cap to give him the award.

Must be based on total triples made this season... and, IIRC, RayRay finished career w/ more than 150 made threes.