uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 3, vol 6 - Kent St.

uneblinstu

1) Talley had a career game

2) Short bench was obvious

3) Ray was way off today

4) Didn't capitalize on their poor free throw shooting at the beginning of the game

5) Gave up too many open 3-point looks

6) Parker in foul trouble early

7) Still had a couple scoring droughts

8) Peltz and Rivers saw a good amount of minutes

9) Shot WAY too many 3-pointers

10) Looked decent until we were down by double digits and then looked overwhelmed

Was anyone else a little disappointed that we kept failing to get the ball to Ubel when he would be wide open on some great pick and rolls? I remember a ton of them, and we just didn't even look to get the ball to him. Disappointing.

Also, I don't know how many times they drove on us, and we either tried to take a charge (unsucessfully) or were just slow on the defense and forced to foul, or give up the easy bucket. This could prove problematic come conference play.

My only other thought is that I wish we had a bigger bench so that when someone (cough, cough Gallegos (1-8 on Three's), cough, cough) is off the mark on three pointers, Miles can bench them for a little while to say: stop shooting them so frequently. I know a number of them were in rhythm and you can't stop shooting the ball entirely, but he put up some shots he did not have to on a number of occasions. To be successful this year, the team will have to recognize what is working on any given night, and just go with it. Tonight, Talley and Ubel were working.

I understand that Sergej is undersized, but why burn his redshirt if he is NEVER going to play? He has logged 1 minute and 39 seconds in five games.

It's a long year...my guess is he will still get plenty of time.

We will spend alot of time this year playing from behind when the game is already over....he'll have his chance for minutes

This was a game we knew was coming and gird your loins (that's a new HHC theme, amiright?) for a bunch more of these kinds of nights as the season progresses. It's gonna get ugly at times. But, they players are doing their best and Miles is playing the hand he was dealt. It's just something we'll have to get through in order to get to better times. Having said that ...

It's still frustrating to lose to a team that lost to Valpo et al. This foe looked better than their record.

It's also frustrating losing when you only have two players pulling all the offensive weight. We basically played this game with 7 guys. It's honestly a bit scary that we don't have but 7 guys who give us real minutes right now. God help us if the refs call a tight game and we get some kids in foul trouble because we'll be in real big trouble.

One more thing. Can someone explain to me how it is that the quickest, most explosive player on the floor tonight doesn't take a shot from inside 19 feet and only hits a single bucket? Ray Gallegos should be able to get to the rim at will against most teams. Yet he never attacks the rim on the dribble drive. Why is that? Even David Rivers was getting to the line after getting fouled taking the ball to the rim. I had hoped Gallegos would be able to penetrate like a Nate Johnson. He certainly has the speed, quickness and leaping ability. Yet, you just don't see that out of him.

Frustrating night but, again, one we knew was coming.

You can call me a Peltz hater. Just not a fan of him in the slightest. That play when he had an open lane and went up for the layup but then got fouled and went for the pass to no-one in the corner just shows how little he is looking to make his own shot, and is just filling up space on that side of the court.

You can call me a Peltz hater. Just not a fan of him in the slightest. That play when he had an open lane and went up for the layup but then got fouled and went for the pass to no-one in the corner just shows how little he is looking to make his own shot, and is just filling up space on that side of the court.

He does hurt us being such a liability on the offensive end...but what are you going to do.

He does hurt us being such a liability on the offensive end...but what are you going to do.

I agree he has been a major liability on the offensive end of our game. If I were coaching Peltz, I would tell him I will be forced to pull him if he continues to turn down good open shots.

The positives are the kid showed a nose for rebounds tonight (six), and he played decent defense...Yes, despite a few hacks...He seems overwhelmed in the new environment and he panics.

He needs to make the other team be concerned about whether he will score. Right now he appears to have little confidence that he is capable of shooting and scoring...that an opposing coach may not want to cover him outside of 15 feet...which is a huge liability!

I realize he is still digesting his major step up from Alliance High (where he averaged 23 pts, 8 rbs. and 4 ass. per game as a senior...and later, Western Nebraska Community College, where he averaged 7.5 pts, 6 ass. and 5 rbs. per game in his last year)...

However, the sooner he gets past the shock and awe of Division 1...and later the BIG, the sooner he will become a much more complete player.

MIKE, when you are wide open...SHOOT the ball! The hoop and the ball are the same as they ever were!

Sorry Cip...if I knew how to plug in the Talking Heads or any video on this site...I would have saved you the effort on this quote!

re: Peltz, is not as if there are alternatives at the moment. He does some things well. He hustles, switches off pretty well, and moves the ball upcourt without screwing up generally. we're playing walkons real minutes, and this is what you get.

Norm, that's a good question re: Gallegos. He's got springs for legs, but doesn't appear to enjoy running into the trees (but loves running into the threes; ha! I'll be here all week). Probably just a contact allergy maybe.

Gallegos and Almeida are the wild cards for us, obviously. Ubel and Talley are going to be pretty consistent. We need one of those two to show up to win games or stay in them. If both are invisible, tonight's the result.

Next two weeks or so are going to be rough.

For all the hate on Peltz, he was our third best player last night. He played his rear off. Great effort on defense, especially for someone playing with a torn patellar tendon. 6 boards from a point guard is impressive. It also reflected how hard he played. He's limited and shouldn't be playing at this level. But that's not his fault. All he can do is go his hardest, and if you were in the gym last night, watching away from the ball, you could see he did that better than anyone else.

And I'm surprised no one commented on how bad Parker played. There are going to be those nights for a true freshman, but last night his head was a mess. Struggled in all phases of the game.

Almeaida appeared disinterested all night. So Miles decided to be disinterested in playing him. Messages are more important right now than wins.

Although there are absolutely no options right now at the off guard. Ray getting 37 minutes the way he played says it all.

Lots of struggles ahead. I love what I'm seeing out of Talley and Ubel. Their souls and characters will be tested. To lace 'em up everyday and give great effort once we get on long losing streaks will be hard. I resolve to acknowledge and appreciate such effort and discipline going forward, regardless of the results.

On Peltz, I agree with HB. The kid came through with some huge offensive boards last night and would have had a couple more. He plays hard. He fights through screens. He's strong and does some things that help us. He's not a shooter, which is sad because we could use a kid who can hit an open three. Doesn't even have to create it. Just has to force the defense to guard him and not sag off of him. But he was our 2nd leading rebounder last night because he went after it.

We might wish we had better players but we don't. And he's not costing us a scholarship. And we'd be a hell of a lot worse off if he'd decided to go the D2 route and we were playing some other walk-on instead.

My take, for what it is worth:

- Ubel and Talley played their butts off. I felt bad for them that others chose to take the day off. Maybe a bit harsh, but that certainly was the appearance.

- Our defensive effort and any attempt to adjust was abysmal. Part of that is on the players, part of that was Kent State's schemes and part of that is on the coaches. The percentages is up for discussion.

- We rebounded well. Much of that goes to Ubel. Not only did he go hard after boards, those he didn't get, he sometimes tipped to others.

- Well, we did a better job getting to the free throw line...but, crap...we fell well below expectations with our ability to shoot free throws.

- If Talley can keep playing like he is right now, he is going to have a very impressive senior year. I fear, and I pray I am wrong, that he may end up breaking down due to the effort and minutes he is playing.

- Rivers played a bit better in the second half. He still is scary with his shooting.

- Benny was a bit overmatched in this game. I am not sure why, but he ended up pressing a bit.

- Ray needs to keep shooting. I guess there will be bad shooting days, and this was one of them. He never appeared to have his mojo. Kent State challenged all but perhaps one or two of his shots.

- Andre got frustrated, and when that frustration started to build, he shut down. Dude, that cannot happen.

- I will also give kudos to Peltz. He has his limitations, but his efforts were up there with Ubel and Talley.

- Ubel worked his butt off. I am very impressed with how he is playing this year. But I expect better than 50% at the free throw line from Brandon.

- I wish I could comment on other players...but that is it.

Ray shot terrible but this is the defense that they've shown all year. Rotations are slow and everybody seems to be left on an island to guard their man by themselves. Kent St. made more shots, but these were the same shots Valpo was getting. When Andre is on the floor he steps out a bit and his size discourages penetration all the way to the rim, but without him it is lay-ups. I'm not sure exactly what they are trying to do guarding the low post, except telling the defensive player, "Good luck down there."The big problem is they have to try to play with too many players that are not D-1 players.

You can't take everything away. You must at some point pick your poison. Right now I think they need to sag off more to the help line so they at least have a chance to help on penetration. That will open more threes, but you have to take the basket away and work out from there.

When you are having a bad night and are continuing to take bad shots, you are taking away potential points from other teammates. Enough said.

Not necessarily. It is a shooters mentality. If you are counted on as a main scorer or shooter on a team (if that is your major role) than you have to take the shots that you are expected to take (and make). If Ray, Dylan, Brandon and Andre pass up their shots, then who is going to take them? There is a reason that we are going to see Talley taking 20 shots, Ray 15, Ubel 15 and Andre 10 to 15. Who else is going to take them? The expectation is that these shots are taken in the flow of the game. It is the expectation that they are not forced. And quite frankly, it is the expectation that they make a certain percentage of them.

Last night, I think it is fair to say, a couple of these guys met or was very close to expectations, and a couple of these guys did not meet expectations.

The main thing I took from the game is that Kent St. was just flat out better than we were. We only had 8 turnovers, we out rebounded them, and held them to only 6 assists. The shots we were getting off against the previous teams just weren't there against Kent St. They were just as big and athletic as we were.

I also didn't like that we only had 6 assists, and our leading scorer had 3 of them! That means we're looking to do too much off the dribble or in isolation.

Also didn't like how we went away from Ubel in the 2nd half, that was the best I've ever seen him play in the first half.

It's going to be a long year fellas!