2014 SG Jordan Cornish -> UNLV-> Tulane

If basketball is the main factor, I think we have unlv beat.

we are in the superior conference

we'll be preseason top 25

we have a greater need for a guard

superior facilities

newer arena

better coaching

a better chance to play right away.

more exposure to scouts and tv viewers.

All true but basketball is not always the driving factor. 

like,I said earlier I am very happy with who we have signed already for this class. So anybody from now on would be just really nice. Would help us, but won't kill kill us.

We do need to keep an eye on these couple of guys to se how they do at the other schools that they picked over us.

So far most of our misses from the last couple of years have been misses at their other school also.

I don't know what the policy is in the recruiting forum on reposting from other sources, but I did actually get this blurb emailed me today, supposedly from JC Shurburtt at 247. Apologize if this was already posted, but I didn't see it in this thread:

"Shooting guard Jordan Cornish (New Orleans, La./Brother Martin) told Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun that the UNLV staff has made him a top priority and also cited the storied tradition of the program, along with his relationship with five-star Runnin' Rebels signee Rashad Vaughn as a reason that UNLV is under heavy consideration. He visits Las Vegas this weekend and will decide next Tuesday. Nebraska and Wake Forest also are under consideration. Currently, all signs from sources point to the Runnin' Rebels."

To me, that sounds pretty locked down for UNLV. I think in his mind he's already there, especially if they will make room for him. I don't even think logic plays into it much. UNLV has definitely sold him on an idea before he's even set foot on campus.

So...regarding Cornish playing alongside Rashad Vaughn...

It seems as though a friend of AB (aka Lanigan123) questioned/harassed Cornish on twitter about how it would work out playing with Vaughn and this was Jordan's response...

@JordanCornish5_: @balkdog81 guards are interchangeable in that system recruiting me to play on opposite wing of him if you knew anything so have a nice day

I want Cornish, don't get me wrong....but let me say this....the guy obviously loves attention.  I get that he is an 18 year old kid, but he retweets EVERYTHING and seems to enjoy the fights/arguing on twitter amongst the fan bases.  I'm sure I would act the same way as an 18 year old and everybody talking about me.....

But look at a guy like Tarin Smith....extremetly smart, seems humble and doesn't seem to "crave" the attention that Jordan does (at least via twitter) 

Again...let me make this clear....I WANT Jordan Cornish, but I won't be as bummed losing out on him as I was for Deng Deng.  Deng Deng just seemed so down to earth when you hear him talk and I loved his video.....seemed relentless.

Because the room and tv is already paid for Norm. It would be in poor taste, or even rude, if he talked before he did it to the Nola.com crowd.

Maybe he will be like that one kid who said he was going to play at Alabama at one of those all-star games and his mom was like hell no, your going to Auburn. She just ripped him right there on the tube. I think he did go to Bama but momma was NOT happy. Think his brother did the same thing last year.

I don't know what the policy is in the recruiting forum on reposting from other sources, but I did actually get this blurb emailed me today, supposedly from JC Shurburtt at 247. Apologize if this was already posted, but I didn't see it in this thread:

"Shooting guard Jordan Cornish (New Orleans, La./Brother Martin) told Taylor Bern of the Las Vegas Sun that the UNLV staff has made him a top priority and also cited the storied tradition of the program, along with his relationship with five-star Runnin' Rebels signee Rashad Vaughn as a reason that UNLV is under heavy consideration. He visits Las Vegas this weekend and will decide next Tuesday. Nebraska and Wake Forest also are under consideration. Currently, all signs from sources point to the Runnin' Rebels."

To me, that sounds pretty locked down for UNLV. I think in his mind he's already there, especially if they will make room for him. I don't even think logic plays into it much. UNLV has definitely sold him on an idea before he's even set foot on campus.

It seems as though a friend of AB (aka Lanigan123) questioned/harassed Cornish on twitter about how it would work out playing with Vaughn and this was Jordan's response...

@JordanCornish5_: @balkdog81 guards are interchangeable in that system recruiting me to play on opposite wing of him if you knew anything so have a nice day

So Balkdog and Lanigan are the same dude.  Who knew?  Certainly not me.

Nice sleuth work ajb.

Lanigan, quit trying to tweet with the prospective recruits.  I'm sure the coaches would say "YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!!!"

If you are Cornish, you have to wonder how bad unlv really wants you if they are already scheduling more visits without having any open scholarships.

Sounds like there are two more guys they can run off, if necessary.  They've told Cornish that they'll have room for him if he wants to commit.

So Balkdog and Lanigan are the same dude. Who knew? Certainly not me.

Nice sleuth work ajb.

Lanigan, quit trying to tweet with the prospective recruits. I'm sure the coaches would say "YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!!!"

That's my hypothesis anyway...

From his tweets and interviews, I'll be somewhat shocked if he doesn't end up at UNLV. I fear that only intervention by mom can save us here.

I agree.  And just look at who he has followed recently on twitter.  Generally folks with UNLV ties.  He hasn't followed a single person affiliated with Nebraska for several weeks.  I think he's set on UNLV and Mom may be our only hope.

Because the room and tv is already paid for Norm. It would be in poor taste, or even rude, if he talked before he did it to the Nola.com crowd.

Maybe he will be like that one kid who said he was going to play at Alabama at one of those all-star games and his mom was like hell no, your going to Auburn. She just ripped him right there on the tube. I think he did go to Bama but momma was NOT happy. Think his brother did the same thing last year.

His brother went to Florida. LSU is where she wanted them to go, they are from New Orleans so it'd be closer to home.  The crazy thing is she has another kid thats just as good as the older brothers.  She just churns out studs though.

So Balkdog and Lanigan are the same dude. Who knew? Certainly not me.

Nice sleuth work ajb.

Lanigan, quit trying to tweet with the prospective recruits. I'm sure the coaches would say "YOU ARE NOT HELPING!!!!"

That's my hypothesis anyway...

They are one in the same.

From his tweets and interviews, I'll be somewhat shocked if he doesn't end up at UNLV. I fear that only intervention by mom can save us here.

I agree.  And just look at who he has followed recently on twitter.  Generally folks with UNLV ties.  He hasn't followed a single person affiliated with Nebraska for several weeks.  I think he's set on UNLV and Mom may be our only hope.

He has been enamored with UNLV ever since his offer, I feel like he is theirs to lose. He seemed like a good basketball player but tweet he sent out during his visit really rubbed me the wrong way. Just my 2 cents.

Also, I'd have to read back through both threads to find out if this was mentioned previously, but in a recent interview with the Las Vegas Sun, he mentioned that one of his close friends goes to UNLV, which doesn't help.

The storied tradition that UNLV has is amazing. And me and Rashad Vaughn, we’re really, really close friends. When UNLV offered me, Rashad texted me saying we were talking about this during the summertime and that we could play together.

Also, I'd have to read back through both threads to find out if this was mentioned previously, but in a recent interview with the Las Vegas Sun, he mentioned that one of his close friends goes to UNLV, which doesn't help.

The storied tradition that UNLV has is amazing. And me and Rashad Vaughn, we’re really, really close friends. When UNLV offered me, Rashad texted me saying we were talking about this during the summertime and that we could play together.

Here's the full article. My apologies if it's already somewhere up in the thread. Gave me a good chuckle. Like when it says that Vaughn and Cornish could be teammates for at least the next year if he commits. Cornish's quote is gold. This one: "By the time I’m there,they should have another shakeup and things will go exactly as they want it to and I want it to".

I guess he might like the pressure of perform or be replaced, but how could you put yourself in that spot and feel any ounce of stability?

Sure sounds like if they have room he's gone. But he does say some nice things about Nebraska. Nice how the interviewer went straight to being delayed in Denver and asked if it affected his visit here at all.

http://t.co/qB5sEtXpbc

Actually, you've gotta wonder about why any highly ranked player (or his parents) would want to commit to a team / coach that under-performs with highly ranked players. UNLV is a classic example. Consider this:

1. Last year's UNLV's team included one Rivals five-star junior, three Rivals four-star juniors, two Rivals four-star freshmen, and a host of three-stars to fill-in-the-cracks; and

2. Last years UNLV team finished tied for third in the Mountain West with Nevada, had a 10-8 conference record with one win in the conference tourney, had a total of 20 wins, did not make the NCAA tournament, did not get an NIT invitation, and did not accept a lesser tournament gig.

Apparently young players think, in UNLV's case, that past under-performance is not predictive of future under-performance. Hard to figure!

2 yrs ago Kentucky had a team of five stars and din't make the tourney. Cant read a lot into a single yrs results.

Number one sales pitch for top tier kids? "I'll getcha into the NBA." Til Miles gets a guy there it gonna be hard to get top tier guys.

Norm one other thing guys be looking for is immediate PT. With Nebraska returning everybody but one guy, recruits be thinkin how am I gonna see da court?

High character kids will say that "I will earn the playing time, or I will support those that beat me out."  I know, I know, that is a foreign idea in our current "I demand it now" society, but it would be refreshing to hear once in awhile.

Seriously, if a player is that good, if he is great, why would he worry about playing time?  Great players who work hard will make it on the floor and will perform when they get there.

Actually, you've gotta wonder about why any highly ranked player (or his parents) would want to commit to a team / coach that under-performs with highly ranked players. UNLV is a classic example. Consider this:

1. Last year's UNLV's team included one Rivals five-star junior, three Rivals four-star juniors, two Rivals four-star freshmen, and a host of three-stars to fill-in-the-cracks; and

2. Last years UNLV team finished tied for third in the Mountain West with Nevada, had a 10-8 conference record with one win in the conference tourney, had a total of 20 wins, did not make the NCAA tournament, did not get an NIT invitation, and did not accept a lesser tournament gig.

Apparently young players think, in UNLV's case, that past under-performance is not predictive of future under-performance. Hard to figure!

2 yrs ago Kentucky had a team of five stars and din't make the tourney. Cant read a lot into a single yrs results.

Number one sales pitch for top tier kids? "I'll getcha into the NBA." Til Miles gets a guy there it gonna be hard to get top tier guys.

Norm one other thing guys be looking for is immediate PT. With Nebraska returning everybody but one guy, recruits be thinkin how am I gonna see da court?

Good points.

However, the UNLV coach seems to have lost the locker room, instead of just had-some-bad-breaks, as evidenced by the post-season transfers of highly ranked players--players that he recruited to UNLV. Also, his cleaning house of other players that he recruited to make room for new ones is interesting in both the extent and overt nature of what is happening. And the creation of an expectation of a new recruit starting from day one is something foreign to those of us who grew up watching the likes of Tom Osborne.

It appears that Jordan Cornish is buying whatever UNLV is selling. My guess is that his parents are having graves doubts about UNLV, are having some serious "beware" discussions with Jordan, but are not going to over-rule his wishes and are already looking ahead at future transfer options (at least, that's what I'd be doing).

It will be interesting to see how the UNLV coach fares over the next several years. I've never thought you could treat a team of people this way and be successful over the long haul . . . but I'm often wrong.

By the way, Red Sea Scrolls has an interesting item on Jordan Cornish in today's Tunnel Talk.

Good points.

However, the UNLV coach seems to have lost the locker room, instead of just had-some-bad-breaks, as evidenced by the post-season transfers of highly ranked players--players that he recruited to UNLV. Also, his cleaning house of other players that he recruited to make room for new ones is interesting in both the extent and overt nature of what is happening. And the creation of an expectation of a new recruit starting from day one is something foreign to those of us who grew up watching the likes of Tom Osborne.

It appears that Jordan Cornish is buying whatever UNLV is selling. My guess is that his parents are having graves doubts about UNLV, are having some serious "beware" discussions with Jordan, but are not going to over-rule his wishes and are already looking ahead at future transfer options (at least, that's what I'd be doing).

It will be interesting to see how the UNLV coach fares over the next several years. I've never thought you could treat a team of people this way and be successful over the long haul . . . but I'm often wrong.

By the way, Red Sea Scrolls has an interesting item on Jordan Cornish in today's Tunnel Talk.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/basketball/college/report-unlvs-rice-offered-usf-basketball-job/2172445

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10693873/unlv-recommends-extension-head-coach-dave-rice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Rice_(basketball)

Spot on post.

Dave Rice has been an UNLV guy as a player, assistant, and now head coach.  The local media rumblings and overall pressure that apparently comes with the UNLV job also led to him interviewing at USF. Unless he wins some NCAA tourney games it's probably a matter of time before he either moves or is fired.

If we do lose out on him you'd have to think we're going to be at the top of the inevitable transfer list.

Good points.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/basketball/college/report-unlvs-rice-offered-usf-basketball-job/2172445

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/10693873/unlv-recommends-extension-head-coach-dave-rice

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dave_Rice_(basketball)

Spot on post.

Dave Rice has been an UNLV guy as a player, assistant, and now head coach.  The local media rumblings and overall pressure that apparently comes with the UNLV job also led to him interviewing at USF. Unless he wins some NCAA tourney games it's probably a matter of time before he either moves or is fired.

If we do lose out on him you'd have to think we're going to be at the top of the inevitable transfer list.

Nebraska is not a back-up plan.