2014 SG Jordan Cornish -> UNLV-> Tulane

Uh, in that scenario he would replace the Gallegos/Rivers starting spot. 1-PG, 2-Cornish, 3-Petteway, 4-Shields, 5-Pitch.

With the addition of Ayegba, I would be shocked if Pitchford started at the 5-spot. Nebraska had serious need for a rim protector / rebounder, so they got Ayegba to fill that need. This allows Pitchford to play the 4-spot, which is his more natural spot. The only way that either Ayegba, or Smith doesn't start at the 5-spot next season, is if Nebraska is able to land another ready-made Center that is better. I think it is most likely that the starting rotation will look like this:

1- Webster/Smith

2-Petteway

3-Shields

4-Pitchford

5-Ayegba

Unless Cornish would be able to play PG, or unless Miles wanted to move Petteway over to play PG, then I don't see any room in the starting lineup for Cornish on day 1.

Guessing he means he will start and Tai or Rivers will go to the bench. I agree if so

I think Rivers will already be knocked out of the starting lineup due to the addition of Ayegba, so the only spot that I could see left for the taking would be Webster, so, in my opinion, Cornish would either need to be able to be the best PG on the team, or Petteway would have to be able slide over to the PG spot, in order to make room for Cornish at the 2-spot (one of the 3 wing spots).

I don't think it's a given Ayegba starts... Nor should it be..

I would be absolutely shocked if Ayegba didn't start next season (unless Nebraska is able to land another "rim protector" with D1 experience in this class). Nebraska played very good defense for most of the second half of the season and many times held the opponent to a low shooting percentage, but that was negated, because they allowed the opposing teams to get multiple offensive rebounds. Ayegba specifically addresses that need. Unless Nebraska is able to land a more capable rim protected/rebounder in this class (or unless Smith develops into that), then Ayegba will start next season. He addresses a specific need and he does that without "requiring shots".

I think I remember Miles saying that something that helped Rivers get onto the floor is that he "doesn't require shots". (This is why I am not bothered at all by the fact that Ayegba isnt much of a scoring threat). Ayegba isnt going to require shots either, so Petteway, Pitchford, and Shilds will be able to continue to get the shots they need. So, in my opinion, Ayegba will be asked to play the exact same role that Rivers played last season, but with a 7'4" wingspan, will likely be able to play that role even more effectively.

I still think things will be up in the air depending on the last 2 ships, but I really don't think it's a given Moses starts from the beginning. I still see Walt playing a lot of 5.

I guess I just disagree. But even if Ayegba doesn't start at the 5-spot...I would put my money on Fuller cracking the starting lineup as a wing before I would bet on Cornish starting as a wing from day 1...

Sadly UCLA's starting SG Jordan Adams is announcing he will go pro. It doesn't help us in the battle.

I still think Cornish would probably start for us from day 1.

We bring back every single starter from the 4th best team in the B1G except for our Shooting Guard.

Our shooting guard didn't start for most of conference play.

Sadly UCLA's starting SG Jordan Adams is announcing he will go pro. It doesn't help us in the battle.

Understand what you are saying Kamdy but this is the attitude that Miles and crew need to change some how.  Just because a big boy offers doesn't mean we can't beat them out for a kid.  A bit more winning I think we are there.  Question is, until then, how do we do this?

I think smith, Petteway, Shavon, Walt and ayegba start. I think Webster, Fuller Cornish are 1, 2, 3 off the bench, at those spots with rivers and smith. Benny in front of Tai? Hammonds would likely redshirt.

I'm not as confident as some here are about the prospects of Ayegba starting next season. Miles now has the personnel to put two true bigs on the court at the same time, and I believe that will be a component of the starting line-up and the way the team will look most of the time unless he specifically wants to go small in certain situations.

Pitchford isn't being displaced from the starting line-up. To me, that means that Ayegba would have to beat out Leslee Smith for that 5 spot. Leslee's a good dude who's content to come off the bench. However, while that may have been fine for last season, next season could be very different.

The reason why I'm not as confident as others here that Ayegba will start is that a statistical comparison between Smith and Ayegba favors Smith in my opinion. Smith did average 3.7 MPG more than Ayegba did last season, but the disparity in productivity exceeds the disparity in MPG in some key statistical categories. Judge for yourself.

Minutes per Game

Smith: 16.8

Ayegba: 13.1

FG%

Smith: .519

Ayegba: .564

FT%

Smith: .623

Ayegba: .455

Rebounding

Smith: 154

Ayegba: 88

Blocks

Smith: 20

Ayegba: 23

Assists

Smith: 12

Ayegba: 9

Points per Game

Smith: 5.4

Ayegba: 1.9

Steals

Smith: 29

Ayegba: 7

Turnovers

Smith: 45

Ayegba: 17

The stats reveal that Smith was the superior scoring threat. Additionally, he recorded a huge number of steals relative to Ayegba. He's a much better free throw shooter than Ayegba, and, most importantly, he out-rebounded Ayegba by a huge margin.

The two were relatively equal in FG% and assists. Ayegba had a moderate advantage in blocks and likely altered more shots than Smith did, but the margin isn't that dramatic. Ayegba's greatest statistical advantage over Smith was his far-lower propensity to turn the ball over.

So, we have to assume that both players will improve from last year to this year. Ayegba's knee may not have been at full strength last year, but Leslee also struggled with knee issues that limited his effectiveness. I'm sure both players will be working on their games. 

When I look at the statistical comparison above, and specifically the rebounding stat, it's hard for me to favor Ayegba as a starter over an improved Leslee Smith at this early date. Just my opinion. I do expect both to play a lot.

I think smith, Petteway, Shavon, Walt and ayegba start. I think Webster, Fuller Cornish are 1, 2, 3 off the bench, at those spots with rivers and smith. Benny in front of Tai? Hammonds would likely redshirt.

I'm not as confident as some here are about the prospects of Ayegba starting next season. Miles now has the personnel to put two true bigs on the court at the same time, and I believe that will be a component of the starting line-up and the way the team will look most of the time unless he specifically wants to go small in certain situations.

Pitchford isn't being displaced from the starting line-up. To me, that means that Ayegba would have to beat out Leslee Smith for that 5 spot. Leslee's a good dude who's content to come off the bench. However, while that may have been fine for last season, next season could be very different.

The reason why I'm not as confident as others here that Ayegba will start is that a statistical comparison between Smith and Ayegba favors Smith in my opinion. Smith did average 3.7 MPG more than Ayegba did last season, but the disparity in productivity exceeds the disparity in MPG in some key statistical categories. Judge for yourself.

Minutes per Game

FG%

FT%

Rebounding

Blocks

Assists

Points per Game

Steals

Turnovers

The stats reveal that Smith was the superior scoring threat. Additionally, he recorded a huge number of steals relative to Ayegba. He's a much better free throw shooter than Ayegba, and, most importantly, he out-rebounded Ayegba by a huge margin.

The two were relatively equal in FG% and assists. Ayegba had a moderate advantage in blocks and likely altered more shots than Smith did, but the margin isn't that dramatic. Ayegba's greatest statistical advantage over Smith was his far-lower propensity to turn the ball over.

So, we have to assume that both players will improve from last year to this year. Ayegba's knee may not have been at full strength last year, but Leslee also struggled with knee issues that limited his effectiveness. I'm sure both players will be working on their games.

When I look at the statistical comparison above, and specifically the rebounding stat, it's hard for me to favor Ayegba as a starter over an improved Leslee Smith at this early date. Just my opinion. I do expect both to play a lot.

I think I can agree with a lot of this. Whoever starts, the biggest thing the addition of Ayegba brings is lineup flexibility. Ayegba/Smith, no matter how much either is able to/allowed to play, makes the lineup with Pitchford at the 4 AND a 5 on the floor at the same time possible. This is simple, and I know everyone has already brought this up, but it is absolutely HUGE. Last season Miles was extremely limited, only being able to have either Pitchford or Smith on the court, but never together due to fouls and Smith's knees.

Understand what you are saying Kamdy but this is the attitude that Miles and crew need to change some how. Just because a big boy offers doesn't mean we can't beat them out for a kid. A bit more winning I think we are there. Question is, until then, how do we do this?

That's the thing sometimes it will be never. Schools like a KU, UK, UCLA will always be able to land these type of players, even if they are down. The history, location etc can be hard to overcome even if Nebraska were to become a perennial tournament team. Unlike football there will only be a couple guys each year to sign at these schools so the limited spots tend to lead to guys jumping at them when they can.

Minutes per Game

FG%

FT%

Rebounding

Blocks

Assists

Points per Game

Steals

Turnovers

I think I can agree with a lot of this. Whoever starts, the biggest thing the addition of Ayegba brings is lineup flexibility. Ayegba/Smith, no matter how much either is able to/allowed to play, makes the lineup with Pitchford at the 4 AND a 5 on the floor at the same time possible. This is simple, and I know everyone has already brought this up, but it is absolutely HUGE. Last season Miles was extremely limited, only being able to have either Pitchford or Smith on the court, but never together due to fouls and Smith's knees.

This sums it up.  I don't necessarily think we will start with two bigs most of the time.  I actuallly doubt it.  But we now have the option to do so or shift in and out of it as much as needed.  Last year we simply did not have the option to use very much. 

This Jordan Cornish thread has strayed a bit off topic.  This Ayegba discussion should probably be lopped off of here and tacked onto the Ayegba thread.  Having said that, though, I do need to comment on the above discussion about Ayegba starting.

Smith isn't going to start this fall.  He'll occupy the same spot he did last year, basically.  If he can't break into the starting lineup over David Rivers last year, it's unlikely that he will this year.

We still have active recruiting going on and I expect the roster to change a bit still before next year.  But if Smith doesn't start and Ayegba doesn't beat out Smith, then it's hard to tell how those players might fit into the plans.

I know Miles felt we were one big away.  And I think that's true to an extent.  But what we need is a guy who can wipe the glass and gather in rebounds but also defend the post.  Last year, post defense was a place where Pitchford and Smith were a bit lacking.  If Ayegba is a better post defender than Pitchford and Smith, the above stats notwithstanding, then he could well start over Smith, and Pitchford could move to more of a PF role.

Either way, I don't see Smith starting and I don't think Miles brought in Ayegba with the thought of him being behind Pitchford and Smith at the 5.

Now, as far as Jordan Cornish is concerned, I hope we get him in for a visit.  There, now the thread is back on topic.

well here's some news. NU, SMU, UCLA, and FSU are his final four. He could visit as early as Wednesday.

We are at a serious disadvantage in "talent" on campus amongst that group.

School is so close to being out. Maybe he won't visit those schools until after when the campus is empty

well here's some news. NU, SMU, UCLA, and FSU are his final four. He could visit as early as Wednesday.

We are at a serious disadvantage in "talent" on campus amongst that group.

School is so close to being out. Maybe he won't visit those schools until after when the campus is empty

UCLA doesnt get out until like the last week of May or first of June and he needs to decide before that time so no luck there.