2014 SG Jordan Cornish -> UNLV-> Tulane

I wonder if someone could calculate the total amount of time a kid who prefers Air Jordans would have to spend in adidas if he attended Nebraska. 

Figure 4 hours on game days x 30, that's 120 hours.

3 hours per practice (including suiting up, etc.) for 120 days, maybe?  Just guessing?  That's another 360 hours.

Conservatively double that to cover all other workouts, etc.

So, let's just say 1000 hours per year wearing adidas shoes.

Now, the number of waking hours in a year would be roughly 16 x 365 = 5840.

That means almost 5,000 hours per year they can spend wearing any damn kind of shoe they want.  And 1/5 that amount of time, only while doing activities related to being on the basketball team, would they have to wear adidas.

Yeah, I can see why that would make a kid choose UNLV.

I have to imagine these kids get a lot of free nike gear as well for being part of the basketball team. it's not just about what you prefer to wear on the court.

the Adidas contract agrees to outfit all sports...some all sports benifit from Adidas, if a kid is going to pick a school based on their on uniform, ill say it once, and ill say it again. I dont want em.

Picking a school for the wrong reason if that is why a kids chooses said school.  Lame really

The nike stuff is troubling. If kids be picking other schools because nebraska aint nike, then the coaching job be a harder gig den we thought.

Who benefits most from adidas contract? Football?

the Adidas contract agrees to outfit all sports...some all sports benifit from Adidas, if a kid is going to pick a school based on their on uniform, ill say it once, and ill say it again. I dont want em.

I doubt it is ever the main reason a kid picks a certain school.....but it can be one reason a kid doesn't pick a certain school.  

When you have the lack of tradition we have, it certainly doesn't help to be outfitted by the brand that most kids don't prefer.

• 8 months later...

My thoughts on keeping track of him are his combination of his ability, our prior relationship, and the revolving door that Dave Rice runs at UNLV. At least seven guys during his tenure have transferred out.

All good points.  My point was the thought of JC coming out of H.S. that Nebraska 'could' have had him but then the Huskers most likely wouldn't have Andrew White. I would not change that 1-for-1 exchange; however, if an opportunity arises in a year or so for Cornish to be "N' with the Corn, then, sure, let's do it! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Dave Rice's job might be in jeopardy.

Definitely. This article sums it up nicely and talks about the great recruiting class (including Rivals #11 and #46) he has coming in, not that recruiting has translated to on the court success. There are also rumors of Ben Howland, who obviously  has had his own issues.

http://www.reviewjournal.com/sports/unlv-rebels/basketball/rice-lobbies-keep-unlv-job

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...