2015 PG Glynn Watson - Signed

hhcmatt

BB almost always has something intelligent to add to the conversation..

CU fans want Watson pretty bad. The staff is in on one or two other point guards for the class, but it's evident that he's the number 1 target. The last 3 players to visit Creighton have all committed so I like our chances once he gets to campus

CU fans want Watson pretty bad. The staff is in on one or two other point guards for the class, but it's evident that he's the number 1 target. The last 3 players to visit Creighton have all committed so I like our chances once he gets to campus

Very sound logic. No holes in that analysis.

I will puke if he goes to CU.

I will too. I will just say this regrettably, I think we all hoped CU would just kind of tank post McD. At this point, things certainly do not appear to trending that way at all. We are going to have to beat them for recruits and on the court straight up. We certainly have a leg up this year with TP and the gang though.

Honestly I'm not worried about Creighton no matter who they sign. Just look at McDermott's record at ISU. He recruited loads of talent but could never blend it into a real team, something at which Miles is a master. Now that Dougie is gone things won't be too rosie for the Bluejays.

You just yinged my yang...I sure hope you are right as I'd love to routinely pound those annoying birds !!

The only CU commitment (according to Rivals), since its Baylor "Junior Varsity" debacle at the end of last season, is Patton. Maybe CU gets this Watson guy. Maybe not. Don't like NU's chances with Watson, because of Tarin Smith's progress as the point guard for the next four years. In any event, doubt Watson ends up at CU--but no one really knows. The late addition of other schools to the fray, however, does not seem to bode well for either CU or NU.

The only CU commitment (according to Rivals), since its Baylor "Junior Varsity" debacle at the end of last season, is Patton. Maybe CU gets this Watson guy. Maybe not. Don't like NU's chances with Watson, because of Tarin Smith's progress as the point guard for the next four years. In any event, doubt Watson ends up at CU--but no one really knows. The late addition of other schools to the fray, however, does not seem to bode well for either CU or NU.

Creighton did add several good transfer players though - Maurice Watson, Cole Huff, Ricky Kreklow.  McDermott is a fairly good recruiter, but I've never really been sold on his coaching ability, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

As for Glynn Watson - honestly his film doesn't impress me much.  With Tarin's progress, I'd rather we focus on other positions this year and then try to sign a stud point guard in 2016.

Creighton did add several good transfer players though - Maurice Watson, Cole Huff, Ricky Kreklow.  McDermott is a fairly good recruiter, but I've never really been sold on his coaching ability, especially on the defensive side of the ball.

As for Glynn Watson - honestly his film doesn't impress me much.  With Tarin's progress, I'd rather we focus on other positions this year and then try to sign a stud point guard in 2016.

McDermott's recruiting at ISU was quite impressive also. He just couldn't blend it & coach it to compete at a BCS level. He still doesn't really have to compete at a BCS level in the diminished Big East, but it will be interesting to see if his modes operandi continues.

I will too. I will just say this regrettably, I think we all hoped CU would just kind of tank post McD. At this point, things certainly do not appear to trending that way at all. We are going to have to beat them for recruits and on the court straight up. We certainly have a leg up this year with TP and the gang though.

That's kind of the $64,000 question with McDermott.  He's had loads of success at the lower levels including at Northern Iowa playing against mid-major teams with mid-major talent, but he did not mesh well at all at ISU coaching high level kids.

Back at Creighton, he seemed to be going right back to his comfort zone and hit the jackpot with his son following along.  He had a team composed of one of the best individual talents in the country surrounded with nice role players who were more than happy to feed Dougie the ball every time down the court.  The formula worked like a charm - until fatigue started to set in at the end of last year and teams figured out how to crack the team's code.

Now, Creighton has found themselves smack in a much more competitive league, which requires much more elite talent to compete.  Recruiting that talent hasn't been all that much of a problem for coach McD as he's shown at ISU...managing that talent is a whole different story.  Like I said before, he didn't have to manage egos too much the last year or so, the only real talent on his team was his own son.

That team is about to embark on a whole new chapter now where McDermott is going to have to go back to managing egos and making sure these kids he's recruited to play for him stay happy and play as a team.  Time will tell if that will happen for him.  Not saying it won't, as his experience at ISU is still his only stint at a high-major program and maybe the new Big East will be just mid-major-ish enough for him to continue to feel comfortable and continue his success.

I remain in the "believe he can do it there when I see it" camp.

As far as them beating us out for Glynn, well, I hope they don't but that's just for selfish reasons because I'd really like to see GW in Husker red.  Also, it's been said before that Glynn prefers the B1G, and if the kid wants to play on the biggest stages possible in college, it's obvious that we can provide that experience for him.  Frankly, Maryland worries me a hell of a lot more than Creighton does when it comes to procuring Watson's services.

My two cents.

Creighton's lost their "best player in program history" about 4 times over the past 15 years. History would suggest they'll continue to put a quality product on the court.

No clue about Watson or Huff other than the limited snippets I've read here.  Kreklow I've seen play, CU can keep him.

While I am no expert in terms of judging film, I do think - particularly in NU's case - that NU would get a ton of value just from landing a top-60 national recruit...whether the guy is overrated or not.  At this point we need to show to top recruits that we are a viable option.  If a high schooler out of Chicago, ranked in the top 60 in the nation by Rivals, picks us over other schools...that in and of itself has value.  That's the kind of thing that would convince other top targets to look closer at us.  Top kids usually want to play with other top kids.  We need to increase the perceived value of the NU scholarship offer.

I agree that we need to recruit to positions of need, and of a minimum talent level...but I would have to believe Miles feels Watson could really help us.  He was an early offer, and we've stuck with him and recruited him hard.  I can't think of any good that would come from backing off him and waiting until next year.  This is a rare opportunity for NU to be in the top-4 of such a high level recruit, so I think if we can pull it off, we should do it...no questions asked.

Just my $0.02.

Creighton's lost their "best player in program history" about 4 times over the past 15 years. History would suggest they'll continue to put a quality product on the court.

Doug was one of the best players in history, not just Creighton history.  They can only go one direction from that.