Stephen Bardo on BTN very high on Nebraska next season

Bardo mentioned Nebraska first and foremost as a team "on the rise" in the Big Ten. He believes the Huskers will have a lot to prove with the sour ending to the B1G tourney & the NCAAs with 'laying an egg' in both contests.  Miles getting thrown out vs Baylor will be motivating. And, now, Miles is apparently a candidate to consider for Tennessee and Mizzou. Thoughts on the prognosis of Nebrasketball in the 14-team B1G with the addition of Maryland (& Rutgers)?

Just a worry (a good type of worry) to me that we've come out of a almost 2 decade period where the only possibility was to surprise. I mean, with an expectation of zero, there was only one way to go. I like actually having expectations now, but that also brings disappointment into the fold as a possible outcome. The season can now go either direction. Exciting, but people need to hold on because it could get real bumpy if things go even slightly sour. I think we'll be fine, just something to look out for as expectations rise.

I think that we will be a very "hot" preseason pick for most prognosticators. I wouldn't be surprised to see us rated second or third in some Big 10 picks, judging from who is leaving elsewhere and those returning for us. Wisconsin should be first if Frank comes back, but most others should be significantly downgraded. I'll be curious to see next fall's Lindy picks since they usually do pretty well. We've never dealt with preseason high expectations though and it will be interesting to see if we are able to handle them, both as a team and a fan base.

Our results were a little bit than our parts last year.  Not sure we have added enough to make this big jump.  I hope so, but will be interesting.

That's how I see it at the moment, but we'll see what happens with the remaining two scholarships. I'm optimistic!

This could be the year everything comes together and we are in the mix for the B1G title. Alot of things have to go right, but that's what's happened so far. I can't see us trending back to the mean, too much talent, too much Miles...

I'd be shocked if we're in the mix for the title, but I hope, and think it's attainable, to be in the hunt for getting that elusive first win in the NCAA Tournament.

This could be the year everything comes together and we are in the mix for the B1G title. Alot of things have to go right, but that's what's happened so far. I can't see us trending back to the mean, too much talent, too much Miles...

I'd be shocked if we're in the mix for the title, but I hope, and think it's attainable, to be in the hunt for getting that elusive first win in the NCAA Tournament.

Just the fact that we can mention being in the hunt for a conference title without it seeming like total insanity is sooooooooo sweet. Not that I'm planning to die anytime soon but I have long hoped we would win an outright regular season title at some point in my lifetime (born in '58). Got close a couple of times but not yet. This Tim Miles fellow and his team are pretty special!

The biggest jump will be a more successful non conference. I think we can equal the big ten record. I think the biggest thing will be the big 3 will have established roles and hopefully be more consistent. If Walter can become a 12-15 points a game guy this team will take a large step

Completely agree. It wasn't until we lost at Penn St, Biggs left and the team finally bought into playing tough defense as a team and putting the team first that we finally started winning. I don't see that changing, only getting better. So I think we come out of our non-conference portion of our schedule with a much better record than last year. Especially with Tarin Smith coming in to help with the PG issures. Hopefully Fuller can provide some of the perimeter shooting we so desperately need as well. So barring injuries we should be an even better team building off of last year.

The one concern that remains for me that is a huge intangible is the maturity and mental fortitude we lacked this past season that really showed themselves in the B1G tourney game against Ohio St and against Baylor in the NCAA tourney. I have faith in Miles and his staff though.

The biggest jump will be a more successful non conference. I think we can equal the big ten record. I think the biggest thing will be the big 3 will have established roles and hopefully be more consistent. If Walter can become a 12-15 points a game guy this team will take a large step

Completely agree. It wasn't until we lost at Penn St, Biggs left and the team finally bought into playing tough defense as a team and putting the team first that we finally started winning. I don't see that changing, only getting better. So I think we come out of our non-conference portion of our schedule with a much better record than last year. Especially with Tarin Smith coming in to help with the PG issures. Hopefully Fuller can provide some of the perimeter shooting we so desperately need as well. So barring injuries we should be an even better team building off of last year.

The one concern that remains for me that is a huge intangible is the maturity and mental fortitude we lacked this past season that really showed themselves in the B1G tourney game against Ohio St and against Baylor in the NCAA tourney. I have faith in Miles and his staff though.

Not to jump on the new guy (welcome, btw, I truly mean that) but I don't think I could be more diametrically opposed to you on that last statement. It took an awful lot of mental fortitude to go from 0-4 and 1-5 in the conference to finish 11-7. Just because the last two games didn't finish well doesn't mean there wasn't a huge does of mental fortitude with this team. That is how maturity is developed.

That really depends on what our non-conference schedule is.  It's entirely possible depending on the transfers involved that our schedule will be much tougher.  we've already got cincinatti at home (probably top 20) and probably a top 5 acc team either at home or on the road (probably on the road) plus the tournament in hawaii.  If we add a few more tough or even toughish games in there (slu?  marquette? wichita state?  ksu?  kansas? missouri?  arkansas? plenty of options in a relatively close area) we could easily be in the running for the the toughest schedule in the country.

Not to jump on the new guy (welcome, btw, I truly mean that) but I don't think I could be more diametrically opposed to you on that last statement. It took an awful lot of mental fortitude to go from 0-4 and 1-5 in the conference to finish 11-7. Just because the last two games didn't finish well doesn't mean there wasn't a huge does of mental fortitude with this team. That is how maturity is developed.

Thank you for the welcome. I really like what I've seen so far. I understand completely and agree with you that they do have mental toughness otherwise they wouldn't have been able to win some of those tough games like Mich St, Wisconsin, etc. I should have explained myself better. I was really just echoing Coach Miles' comment that he made on several occasions that the team needed to "mature". I think that's the word he used. He just saw it as the next step needed in the team's development. So I wasn't trying to imply they don't have any, just that they need to take it up a few more notches.

That really depends on what our non-conference schedule is.  It's entirely possible depending on the transfers involved that our schedule will be much tougher.  we've already got cincinatti at home (probably top 20) and probably a top 5 acc team either at home or on the road (probably on the road) plus the tournament in hawaii.  If we add a few more tough or even toughish games in there (slu?  marquette? wichita state?  ksu?  kansas? missouri?  arkansas? plenty of options in a relatively close area) we could easily be in the running for the the toughest schedule in the country.

Would not mind a road game at KSU. They are fairly close, and we should be well supported there. They lost some key pieces, but will still have a chance to do damage in the Big 12.

Would not mind a road game at KSU. They are fairly close, and we should be well supported there. They lost some key pieces, but will still have a chance to do damage in the Big 12.

Preference for NU might be to play K-State in K.C. at the Sprint Center