Will {SEC school with an opening} come after Miles?

Cazzie22

okay when a coach is in trouble with his job, a lot of the times the upper management comes out with a press release that they are fully behind that coach and that coach will be there for some time. Then they fire them before the end of the week.

So that is why I said that, it was a joke sorry at the poor attempt.

The UT athletic dept is a dumpster fire.  There's a reason why they are burning thru coaches like a pyro burns thru matches.

No way Miles would leave for UT.  You don't poach a HC from another D-1 university just to leave to go to another program this late in the game.  He's building something here, he isn't going to leave for an unstable situation.  Esp when the entire UT fanbase wants Pearl back (& that's after UT had a deep NCAA run)

Dumpster fire might be too nice of a way to describe it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cuonzo-martin-s-departure-highlights-tennessee-s-immense-level-of-dysfunction-203053186.html

The bigger question is what direction Tennessee now turns. This is a school leaking prestige and reeking of unrealistic entitlement.

A delusional fan base believed it was going to land Jon Gruden as its football coach in 2012. Instead it wound up being snubbed by Louisville coach Charlie Strong. Tennessee ended up with a good hire in Butch Jones, but you would have thought the school was settling for the guy at Lenoir-Rhyne by the reaction.

If the same deluded thought process holds, Vols fans will be expecting Shaka Smart to crawl to Knoxville any minute. Or Gregg Marshall to take a pay cut to coach the Vols.

Reality is, turmoil-ridden Tennessee has to prove itself to a quality coach now. Not the other way around.

The UT athletic dept is a dumpster fire.  There's a reason why they are burning thru coaches like a pyro burns thru matches.

No way Miles would leave for UT.  You don't poach a HC from another D-1 university just to leave to go to another program this late in the game.  He's building something here, he isn't going to leave for an unstable situation.  Esp when the entire UT fanbase wants Pearl back (& that's after UT had a deep NCAA run)

Dumpster fire might be too nice of a way to describe it...

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/cuonzo-martin-s-departure-highlights-tennessee-s-immense-level-of-dysfunction-203053186.html

The bigger question is what direction Tennessee now turns. This is a school leaking prestige and reeking of unrealistic entitlement.

A delusional fan base believed it was going to land Jon Gruden as its football coach in 2012. Instead it wound up being snubbed by Louisville coach Charlie Strong. Tennessee ended up with a good hire in Butch Jones, but you would have thought the school was settling for the guy at Lenoir-Rhyne by the reaction.

If the same deluded thought process holds, Vols fans will be expecting Shaka Smart to crawl to Knoxville any minute. Or Gregg Marshall to take a pay cut to coach the Vols.

Reality is, turmoil-ridden Tennessee has to prove itself to a quality coach now. Not the other way around.

I know they (along with pretty much every other BCS school) have had more success with basketball than we have, but their notion that they can just pick a person to coach that basketball program is loony.  I said it before here and will again, imo this would be a step backwards for Miles.

This is very nice to hear/read:

No idea who the next Tennessee coach will be – but I know who it won’t be: Tim Miles. UT officials have been told Miles isnt leaving Lincoln

— Jason King (@JasonKingBR)

http://allfortennessee.com/2014/04/16/vols-coaching-rumors-tim-miles-reportedly-off-the-board-for-tennessee/

I don't think the national media quite understands Miles and the situation he's in at UNL.  There are only a few programs I'd even be worried about him leaving for (now or anytime in the near future) and there isn't an opening at any of them.

+1,000. It's easy for outsiders to assume he worked wonders at the same old Nebraska that has been a basketball dump for 15 years. But the new arena and Hendricks Training Complex are seriously among the top 10 basketball facilities in the country. And the Big Ten is easily one of the best leagues in the nation for the most competitive players.

These are the only schools that I believe could compete with us for Coach Miles' interests (I am not saying I'd be worried about him leaving for these schools, I'm saying that on paper I wouldn't blame him for being interested):

American

Louisville

Connecticut

Memphis

Cincinnati

ACC

Syracuse

Duke

North Carolina

Pittsburgh

Notre Dame

Big 12

Kansas

Texas

Oklahoma

Oklahoma State

Baylor

Iowa State

Big East

Georgetown

Villanova

Big Ten

Michigan

Wisconsin

Michigan State

Ohio State

Indiana

Minnesota

MWC

San Diego State

New Mexico

Pac-12

Arizona

UCLA

Oregon

Stanford

Colorado

Arizona State

SEC

Florida

Kentucky

WCC

Gonzaga

34 schools, and some of them are probably on par with us. For the life of me I don't think Miles would ever go to some of the schools above though.

I don't think people take into account enough the fact that he has two children in school, and moving states all the time isn't exactly fun for children and spouses who just get settled down. By all accounts it seems like they all love Lincoln.

Better question is "Why wouldn't Tennessee come after Miles?" - for that matter anyone with an opening would be pretty ignorant not to at least inquire about Miles' availability.

I'm sure his agent has gotten good at saying "no, he's not interested" the past few weeks.  B)

Rather than worrying about who is coming after Miles, I think the more pressing issue is when NU makes the announcement about Miles' contract extension and/or salary increase.

I think it would take an awful lot to get Tim Miles away from Lincoln right now.

This is not like Cuonzo Martin feeling like he's in a bad spot, bad fit, and fans pushing an on-line petition for the university to fire him.

Miles has a good situation.  He is paid well.  He has great facilities and resources.  He has a very enthusiastic and supportive fan base.  He's in the middle of building Rome, he's happy with the work he's done so far and would like to finish it.  And he and his family both like the area, the university, the conference, and the proximity to his parents and extended family.

In order to lure him away, you'd have to be the ideal program with a very attractive offer.  Some marginally upward but mostly lateral move isn't going to get it done.  And don't tell him about Nebraska's lack of basketball history.  Don't put that crap on him.

Rather than worrying about who is coming after Miles, I think the more pressing issue is when NU makes the announcement about Miles' contract extension and/or salary increase.

He's in year 2 of a 7 year contract.  It's a contract up with his peers and with the ability for a lot of incentives.

I get that we like him an awful lot but what exactly is the reason not to wait another year on this?

What happens if Nebraska under performs next year for some reason? Do you think Miles wants to spend half the Tim Miles show taking guff about a contract extension/boost if we have injury problems that derail the team?

I'd get the OMG WE NEED TO GET MILES MONEY talk I see out from time to time if he was underpaid, but he's not underpaid nor undercontracted.

Miles gets a $125,000 minimum raise every year, guaranteed. It's in his contract. By 2018-19 he will make $2.15 million base salary. So we don't necessarily need to rework his contract because he started at $1,400,000, went up to 1,525,000 last season and is due for 1,650,000 this season. Plus he gets 75K when we win 20 games and 150K for making the NCAA Tournament. That's 225K extra for basically having an average to good team. If he does that this year he'd make 1.875 million after starting at 1.4 million in 2012-13. I think he is feeling quite loved.

By comparison, Cuonzo Martin, in 3 years at Tennessee, got one $50,000 raise in those 3 years - and made less than Miles starting out. Miles more than doubled that raise in Year 1 and could have lost every game and that would have still been the case.

I think it would take an awful lot to get Tim Miles away from Lincoln right now.

Exactly. And his worst-case scenario.....? He doesn't fulfill the remainder of his contract, he leaves with a lot of cash, coaches his son's teams, and lives a pretty good life with lots of assets left over.

I wish that was my worst-case scenario.

He's in year 2 of a 7 year contract.  It's a top 30 contract with the ability for a lot of incentives.

I get that we like him an awful lot but what exactly is the reason not to wait another year on this?

What happens if Nebraska under performs next year for some reason? Do you think Miles wants to spend half the Tim Miles show taking guff about a contract extension/boost if we have injury problems that derail the team?

I'd get the OMG WE NEED TO GET MILES MONEY talk I see out from time to time if he was underpaid, but he's not underpaid nor undercontracted.

Valid points - certainly NU is never going to pay its basketball coach equal to or more than the football coach for example. So a crazy salary increase is out of the question. And those are good numbers you've provided - it's good to see NU climbing the ladder in terms of commitment to basketball in terms of coaching salary.

However I would also point out that NU's ability to make money from men's basketball has taken a sudden and dramatic turn upwards ... and a good chunk of that ability is because of Miles.

Let's say roughly 7000 season tickets were sold in Doc's last year at Devaney at roughly $20 a pop, 18 games = roughly $2.5 million. NU is easily making double-plus that amount now just in ticket sales, and that doesn't include seat licenses, skyboxes, etc, at the new arena. NU is making a profit - a strong profit - in men's basketball for the first time in a long, long time.

Granted a large percentage of that increase has to do with the new arena, especially in Year One. But going forward, the novelty of the arena wears off and now you have to win to keep those new season ticket holders happy. I'd guess the number of season tickets that will be abandoned from 2013-14 to 2014-15 will be minimal, and that's primarily because of Miles and this impressive turnaround he has engineered. So I believe just from a financial standpoint - call it revenue sharing if you like ;)  - he has earned a raise of some sort.

I'm not advocating going crazy and giving him a $1 million annual raise or something. But I think rolling over his contract another year and providing a raise of some sort would be well worth the good will it would buy. You show the coach he's important to you by providing raises and rollovers. And you show any suitors that you're serious about keeping him in Lincoln, meaning perhaps they look elsewhere for an easier coaching target to pick off.

After all I think we can afford it now.  ;) Making a small investment now to keep Coach Miles happy and to make him feel appreciated to me is akin to investing in any other area of the program, helping to keep that now large profit stream strong.