Miles honored with Jim Phelan National Coach of the Year Award

Congrats to Nebrasketball coach Tim Miles! Wisconsin's Bo Ryan is the only other B1G coach who has been honored from the Big Ten (in 2008).

http://t.co/3R8fR1Rlmh

Jim Phelan Award Winners

2002–03

Mark Slonaker

Mercer

2003–04

Phil Martelli

Saint Joseph's

2004–05

Tubby Smith

Kentucky

2005–06

Ben Howland

UCLA

2006–07

Tony Bennett

Washington State

2007–08

Bo Ryan

Wisconsin

2008–09

John Calipari

Memphis

2009–10

Jamie Dixon

Pittsburgh

2010–11

Stew Morrill

Utah State

2011–12

Mike Brey

Notre Dame

2012–13

Dana Altman

Oregon

2013-14

Tim Miles

Nebraska

This post has been promoted to an article

This is unbelievable.  Until recently we have been a basketball wasteland.  Winter in Nebraska meant losing basketball.  Then, within a 4 year timeframe, we have the NATIONAL Coach of the Year in both men's and women's basketball.  If anyone would have predicted that 5 years ago, you would have said "I'll have what she's having"....

This is unbelievable.  Until recently we have been a basketball wasteland.  Winter in Nebraska meant losing basketball.  Then, within a 4 year timeframe, we have the NATIONAL Coach of the Year in both men's and women's basketball.  If anyone would have predicted that 5 years ago, you would have said "I'll have what she's having"....

Add to that the impressive feat of Huskers being the ONLY program to have the top 15 in attendance in football, volleyball, and both men's & women's basketball this past season! That has been an amazing accomplishment for NU in a state like Nebraska with a population of 1.8M. It should be noted that the blue school in the big O had an attendance ranking in the top 10 as well  GO NEBRASKA!

This is a great honor for coach Miles, and I don't want to devalue it, but, being a bit unfamiliar with this award, I did some research, and it appears that there are at least three annual COY awards given out, including the Naismith, which I believe is given out tomorrow, and for which Miles is not a finalist. Where does the Phelan rank in terms of prestige? I honestly don't know.

Add to that the impressive feat of Huskers being the ONLY program to have the top 15 in attendance in football, volleyball, and both men's & women's basketball this past season! That has been an amazing accomplishment for NU in a state like Nebraska with a population of 1.8M. It should be noted that the blue school in the big O had an attendance ranking in the top 10 as well  GO NEBRASKA!

The baseball team will be fairly high up in attendance, also.  What makes that even more impressive is the fact that for half the baseball games, you have to sit outside in a parka to watch a home game.