Transfers

Andrew White would be a HUGE get for NU.  The dude is talented as heck.  He would have to come here and sit a year, but then I could see him being a stud here.  Kansas fans actually loved the guy, but he was sitting behind a few 4-5 star guys.  Oozes talent if in the right situation.  When I read Lee's write up today (as well as the post above) it got my hopes up about him.  Would LOVE to see him in Husker Red. 

How about this guy?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/24569201/niagaras-antoine-mason-plans-to-transfer-for-final-season

I'm sure a ton of schools will want him, but maybe we will have a connection somehow?

Dude shot 357 FTs last year....that is insane. Petteway shot 204 and he was always drawing contact.

Julius Randle shot 289.

It would be surprising to him choose a school outside of the New York Area.

If this was coming a year later and we proved we fixed Tai Webster's jumper, we'd have a great shot at him as he is scoring at the hoop despite being a poor jump shooter.

Here is the comment from the Kansas guy (Nebraska visit reference is on the last line):

Hello - Matt from the 247 Kansas site TheShiver.com here.

Andrew is a great kid. He is someone that once you meet you know right away that he will be successful in whatever he does. He didn't want to leave KU, but knew that he wouldn't get PT over guys like McLemore, Wiggins, Selden, Oubre, Brannen Greene and now Sviatoslav Mykhailiuk. He started off this past season as the 6th or 7th guy, but then he got injured and never worked his way back. He can play though. Offensive abilities weren't the question with White. He is just a bit too slow on the defensive end to cover SF's at this level. However, one thing I know about White is that he will work his tail off to get better every single day. His [Roy Williams Voice] "want to" is second to none. Whatever program that gets him is getting a kid that is a great lead by example dude.

Also - I'm told he will visit Nebraska. Not sure if any other visits have been set yet though.

I know we're not at KU's level, but the fact that he appears to be another 3/4 tweener who's not quick enough to guard 3s is problematic to me. If a SF can't guard the 3, then that's a problem at Nebraska just as it is at KU, because the level of competition is just as good, if not even better in the B1G. 

I'm not saying I don't want the guy, but we already have a player in Fuller who's having to be converted to a stretch 4 because he can't guard 3s. Am I off base here in not being enthusiastic about this potential transfer? 

Something we can sell to potential transfers:

Terran Petteway:

TTU 2011-2012 (Fr.) = 3.1 PPG, 2.0 RPG (28 G, 11 GS)

NEB 2013-2014 (So.) = 18.1 PPG, 4.8 RPG

Walter Pitchford:

FLA 2011-2012 (Fr.) = 0.5 PPG, 0.3 RPG (11 G, 0 GS)

NEB 2013-2014 (So.) = 9.3 PPG, 4.7 RPG

Leslee Smith:
SMU 2011-2012 (rFr.) = 3.8 PPG, 3.4 RPG (25 G, 6 GS)
NEB 2013-2014 (Jr.) = 5.4 PPG, 4.8 RPG

I know we're not at KU's level, but the fact that he appears to be another 3/4 tweener who's not quick enough to guard 3s is problematic to me. If a SF can't guard the 3, then that's a problem at Nebraska just as it is at KU, because the level of competition is just as good, if not even better in the B1G. 

I'm not saying I don't want the guy, but we already have a player in Fuller who's having to be converted to a stretch 4 because he can't guard 3s. Am I off base here in not being enthusiastic about this potential transfer? 

I wouldn't read too much into those comments.  I remember reading a preview of our team this year that said Petteway was "dreadful" at Texas Tech and that he and Pitchford would never start for a good team in the Big Ten.

White is as good of a player as we can expect to get this late.  He was a Top 50 recruit out of high school.

I wouldn't read too much into those comments.  I remember reading a preview of our team this year that said Petteway was "dreadful" at Texas Tech and that he and Pitchford would never start for a good team in the Big Ten.

White is as good of a player as we can expect to get this late.  He was a Top 50 recruit out of high school.

Understood, but every KU source on White is saying the same thing: that he sits on the bench because he lacks the quickness to play great defense at his position. The issue seems to be more than just having dominant players ahead of him. 

I know from watching two years of Miles ball that if you can't play defense, you won't play much, as it should be.

I'm just raising the issue. Obviously, if they feel he can play for us, then I trust their judgment, but if he was limited defensively at KU, then he's equally limited defensively at Nebraska.

Robin just confirmed with his dad NU will get a visit and has a pre-existing relationship with Hunter.

That Rivals update was shockingly positive for us, I thought.  Sounded like a real chance he comes here.  His dad talked about wanting to find a school and fanbase with a great desire to get better and better, and the way he said it made it sound like he was trying to describe Nebraska.  It sounded like dad and the kid both had been educated on NU by somebody.

I'm officially intrigued.

If he's a better version of Fuller (and at the very we least we can agree he's a more talented version) I see nothing wrong with bringing him aboard. Talking out of my butt a little bit, but the way he's been described sounds a lot like Shields. He's not the most gifted defender at the 3, and he's certainly not a great defender at the 4, but he's not exactly a liability either.

Playing good defense is a team thing, not an individual thing.  We were not exactly flush with great on-ball defenders last year, but by playing to our assignments and playing good help defense, we manufactured effective defense.  As mentioned above, I don't think Shields is necessarily a great on-ball defender, and we saw a number of our players individually get exposed defensively...but a good defensive concept doesn't make you reliant on stopping people 1-on-1.  Maybe that's what they've grown accustomed to at KU because they are loaded with elite talent top to bottom, but for us mere mortal programs, we can live with a guy that can't defend on an island. 

If you believe in recruiting rankings at all (and they shaky, but still relevant), White would be the highest-rated prospect to be a Husker in the Rivals (2002-present) era by a LONG way.  Dude was the #51 overall player in 2012 per Rivals, and recruited by most of the country.  I think he would blossom in this environment.

Understood, but every KU source on White is saying the same thing: that he sits on the bench because he lacks the quickness to play great defense at his position. The issue seems to be more than just having dominant players ahead of him. 

I know from watching two years of Miles ball that if you can't play defense, you won't play much, as it should be.

I'm just raising the issue. Obviously, if they feel he can play for us, then I trust their judgment, but if he was limited defensively at KU, then he's equally limited defensively at Nebraska.

If he's going to put in effort on defense, we'll figure out how to minimize any issues with slowness. If we can hide our lack of back court depth we certainly can hide a guy like this on D if we need to.

Robin just confirmed with his dad NU will get a visit and has a pre-existing relationship with Hunter.

That Rivals update was shockingly positive for us, I thought.  Sounded like a real chance he comes here.  His dad talked about wanting to find a school and fanbase with a great desire to get better and better, and the way he said it made it sound like he was trying to describe Nebraska.  It sounded like dad and the kid both had been educated on NU by somebody.

I'm officially intrigued.

I read the list of schools previously and thought doubtful. While it's still going to be a battle, it's good to know we're among the few already lined up for a visit.

He's an academically bright kid, doesn't seem to have an issue with playing in the midwest, and we have a proven track record of taking 2 guys receiving barely any PT and turning them into B1G players.  This seems like exactly the transfer we can sell on Nebraska. 

Playing good defense is a team thing, not an individual thing.  We were not exactly flush with great on-ball defenders last year, but by playing to our assignments and playing good help defense, we manufactured effective defense.  As mentioned above, I don't think Shields is necessarily a great on-ball defender, and we saw a number of our players individually get exposed defensively...but a good defensive concept doesn't make you reliant on stopping people 1-on-1.  Maybe that's what they've grown accustomed to at KU because they are loaded with elite talent top to bottom, but for us mere mortal programs, we can live with a guy that can't defend on an island. 

If you believe in recruiting rankings at all (and they shaky, but still relevant), White would be the highest-rated prospect to be a Husker in the Rivals (2002-present) era by a LONG way.  Dude was the #51 overall player in 2012 per Rivals, and recruited by most of the country.  I think he would blossom in this environment.

Good post. And that's where Molinari comes into play. A good defensive scheme can make up for a lot of deficiencies.