Transfers

I figured we could just start one running thread with any transfer talk going forward since a lot of the names wont stick it gives us one general place.

One that I just saw Chris Obekpa is leaving SJU.  Already linked to Baylor and Oregon but he would be the center NU needs.

Georgetown big Moses Ayegba is transferring. He's 6-9, 250. Averaged 2 points and 3 boards per game last year in 13 minutes per game. Not sure if Hunter recruited him or not.

Here's the story...

Georgetown’s frontcourt was simply a mess this season. Joshua Smith, the celebrated transfer from UCLA, only played thirteen games before he was ruled academically ineligible, and Mikael Hopkins was inconsistent. However, one big that did manage to shine slightly was Moses Ayegba, the once highly-touted recruit who proved a defensive force, both on the glass and on the interior, in 2014. Ayegba, though, is now transferring, per a report from Adam Zagoria, and has one year of eligibility remaining.

Ayegba’s extra minutes were largely due to concerns of coach John Thompson III, who essentially had no frontcourt depth or rhythm for much of the year — the coach didn’t know who would show up each game. Hopkins would play well one game, and then disappear the next two. Jabril Trawick is aggressive and physical, two traits inherent for a successful big, but he was plagued with injuries, and while Nate Lubick did play well, he was an offensive liability as he attempted only 11 percent of the team’s shots in his final year.

The move is a smart one for Ayegba — Hopkins, Trawick, and Smith all return, there should be more minutes for an improving Reggie Cameron, and the Hoyas’ 2014 is laden with bigs. Ayegba has proven he can contribute defensively in short spurts, so a move down a level, to a non-BCS school, might benefit the 6-foot-9 Ayegba.

Would Ayegba have to sit next season or is he on track to graduate soon so he could transfer and be eligible to play his one year next season?

hes a one and done.  He's a redshirt junior.

Yeah, I don't think he provide much of an impact, but he would be a nice depth piece for us.

Would Ayegba have to sit next season or is he on track to graduate soon so he could transfer and be eligible to play his one year next season?

Yeah, I don't think he provide much of an impact, but he would be a nice depth piece for us.

He would allow NU to redshirt Hammond and also give Miles an option to have Pitchford on the floor with him or Smith at the same time for match up options.  For one year that wouldn't be a bad option.

Seems like Ayegba is defensively sound. Give Ayegba and Smith 20-25 minutes per game with Hammonds getting 10-15 minutes. Rotate Rivers I for another 15-20 minutes. Play Pitchford and Fuller as true stretch 4's. We would still need a shooter to replace Nate and Rey (maybe Tai or Tarin?). That would be a diverse offense.

He would allow NU to redshirt Hammond and also give Miles an option to have Pitchford on the floor with him or Smith at the same time for match up options.  For one year that wouldn't be a bad option.

Agreed.

Sounds like he's not a huge contributor on offense, but that he offers more on defense. Nebraska has Petteway, Pitchford, and Shields back next season (and also adds Fuller and I think Webster will have adjusted more, so I expect him to contribute more next season), so Ayegba's lack of offense doesn't bother me very much. I think Nebraska's offense will be fine next season. (Especially considering Nebraska could try to snag 1-2 more transfers that could bring some more offense) Plus, Nebraska could use a little bit more of this next season:

post-114-0-48306500-1396789764_thumb.jpg

Here's one that's out of left field which would qualify as an odd piece. Garrett Covington from WIU averaged just under 15 and 5 as a freshman. He comes with Molinari and sits this next season ala Petteway and Pitchford.

In sync with Kamdy's out-of-left-field suggestion, here is a blurb from an October 2012 article on Garrett Covington's commitment to Western Illinois:

"The 6-foot-5, 185-pounder had drawn recruiting interest from a variety of schools, including Nebraska, Southern Illinois Edwardsville, Wisconsin and others."

Additionally, Garrett Covington is a 6'5" 180 lb. shooting guard, so he might fill a position of need, given the Nate Hawkins departure. Also, he is a pre-law major--gotta love academically-strong players!

Some Conference stats from this past year for Garrett: 34.9 minutes per game (most on the team), .437 field goal percentage, .466 three point percentage, .815 free throw percentage, 16.1 points per game (most on the team), 4.9 rebounds per game.

You might be onto something here, Kamdy!

Here's one that's out of left field which would qualify as an odd piece. Garrett Covington from WIU averaged just under 15 and 5 as a freshman. He comes with Molinari and sits this next season ala Petteway and Pitchford.

In sync with Kamdy's out-of-left-field suggestion, here is a blurb from an October 2012 article on Garrett Covington's commitment to Western Illinois:

"The 6-foot-5, 185-pounder had drawn recruiting interest from a variety of schools, including Nebraska, Southern Illinois Edwardsville, Wisconsin and others."

Additionally, Garrett Covington is a 6'5" 180 lb. shooting guard, so he might fill a position of need, given the Nate Hawkins departure. Also, he is a pre-law major--gotta love academically-strong players!

Some Conference stats from this past year for Garrett: 34.9 minutes per game (most on the team), .437 field goal percentage, .466 three point percentage, .815 free throw percentage, 16.1 points per game (most on the team), 4.9 rebounds per game.

You might be onto something here, Kamdy!

I'm pretty sure he has the talent for the B1G but I think he had the talent before he committed to Western Illinois.

Covington is from Illinois so not sure what percentage of his commitment was the program/coach vs the location. Would love to have him if we wants to move.

Did he mention he wanted to transfer or are this just a shot in the dark?

Just a shot in the dark based on the comments recently by Miles for some odd pieces.

Chiles is a 6'1 guard who averaged 15.8 ppg last year but no other really eye-popping statistics.

Googled Ian Chiles and found a 7-2 center who average 16 and 7, got really excited. Then I realized it was the wrong guy and was really disappointed.

I did the same thing, haha.  Even tweeted at Goodman asking if he meant Morgan State not IUPUI.