Molinari named assistant coach

I truly feel this may be the stupidest comment made on this site. Makes me question literally anything you've ever said and probably anything you ever say going forward as to whether you even know basketball.

It's the same factually based statement with a narrow extrapolation that's been applied to Molinari.  Applying it to Miles shouldn't be a shock.  A bit harsh.

Still no news on Molinari.  Am I the only one who thinks it is unusual that they are letting this drag out this long?  Especially from Western Illinois' point of view.  It's hard on a program when the players and the recruits have no idea if you have a coach or not.

The longer this drags out, the more likely I think he isn't coming.  We'll see.

Molinari is an elite defensive mind. His teams have been a thorn in NDSU's side in the Summit League, he has done a lot with very little at WIU. I think he could have the Huskers playing an elite brand of defense, I remember when he as an assistant at Minnesota. He made a big impact right away for them. 

I've heard that he is going to take the job. I've also heard that NDSU is looking at hiring your director of basketball ops Jayden Olson for an assistant coach position. 

Welcome to the board, fargobison!

Coming in STRONG with the first post!

First post but I have had a lot of fun following your team since Tim was hired. He is still loved in Fargo, Nebraska got a nice ovation at our Selection Sunday event when their name was announced on CBS. 

Tim played a key role in the hiring of our new head coach Dave Richman, I think it says a lot about the guy that even after making it to the Big 10 he still cares a lot about NDSU. I know I don't have to tell you guys how lucky you are to have him leading your program. You all know it....He is one of the best.  

I am happy to see his coaching tree grow as well. 

Norm you nailed it, I want coach Cal on the bench. I would prefer a coach who played for a national title over a coach who won 8 games.

So why is it that you are only looking at last year and a gauge as to how good of a coach he is. Why don't you look at the overall picture the guy can coach DEFENSE and what wins CHAMPIONSHIP ? DEFENSE DOES.

Pleased to have the 2013 Summit League Coach of the Year on our bench. After coaching the nation's #3 and #26 scoring defenses in the past two seasons respectively, he is a welcomed addition.

I am very excited about this hire. However, scoring defense can be a misleading stat depending on your tempo. Western Illinois had one of the slowest tempos in the country (this year, 332nd). Here are the adjusted defense rankings under Molinari:

2009: 305th

2010: 138th

2011: 272nd

2012: 82nd

2013: 54th

2014: 141st

Still not bad for a Summit team.

Nice addition, especially since he will not be needed to do any of the heavy recruiting lifting. If someone sticks around in any job long enough, he brings some useful skills, valuable acquired knowledge, and demonstrated love for the game to the table. I'm sure there comes a time when all of the extraneous responsibilities of being the head guy become a burden and it is acceptable to just help someone else succeed, especially if you don't take a major pay reduction. Just ask Tex Winter, Gene Keady, and all of those others who have decided to sit further down on the bench. Welcome to Coach Molinari.