Molinari named assistant coach

That wasn't my argument, it went beyond that. It's a guy who was a coach with a losing record. A guy who is 60, who won 8 games last year. Being friends is only one of the reasons. He could be very successful, but it's a lot harder to fire a friend than it is someone you don't already know. What does he bring to this staff? He can coach D? Miles throughout the year commented how good we play D but how bad we were on offense?

That wasn't my argument, it went beyond that. It's a guy who was a coach with a losing record. A guy who is 60, who won 8 games last year. Being friends is only one of the reasons. He could be very successful, but it's a lot harder to fire a friend than it is someone you don't already know. What does he bring to this staff? He can coach D? Miles throughout the year commented how good we play D but how bad we were on offense?

He won 20 the year before last and was Summit league regular season champion.  Did he forget how to coach in one season?  No, hes at a school that has always struggled with success and had a very senior laden team that he built into a winner and lost a lot of players.  

Do you think Hoiberg and Self are idiots for hiring Doc Sadler as an assistant because he didnt do well at Nebraska?  What about Coach K hiring Jeff Capel back to Duke after he failed miserably at OU?  Molinari is almost .500 with almost 600 games coached, thats not that bad.  He brings a wealth of X's and O's knowledge, has probably seen every type of scenario in his time, can scout talent at the college and NBA level, his contact rolodex is larger than any new up and coming coach guaranteed, and this would more than likely be the last job of his career.  I understand your hesitations but the points are easily refutable.  

He could be a great hire. I'm not saying we needed a young guy per se. My biggest concern with him is his recruiting. Smith wasn't just a good bench guy, he brought, petteway, smith and Hammond. I'm hoping Herriman and Hunter's recruiting pick up, that's the biggest hole I see. Hoping his connections come through.

We have heard tidbits about staff responsibilities.  It is clear to me that Coach Miles leverages his staff extremely well.  I believe the Hunter and Herriman hires of the past two years were with an eye on (1) recruiting (2) position coaching (3) scouting and game planning.  I believe Smith's role was transitioning into an asst. head coach role where he was helping Coach Miles with day-to-day duties that then free's up Coach Miles to complete follow up recruiting, public relation needs and so forth.  The position is an extension of the head coaching position. 

Because of this, the newest assistant can play a role that will be invaluable to the program.  In the meantime, he has a Chicago (and Big Ten area) background. 

I will repeat my earlier opinion that this will be a very good hire IF it happens.

In the meantime, keep the Rosenthal updates coming Norm...I for one, appreciate them.

Oh I totally agree, we can over look the faults like the likely probation once he leaves.

Oh, hell, faults aside, you can't have a friend of Miles sitting beside him on the bench even if he is John Frickin' Calipari.  That's where the line gets drawn.  Coach K?  Are you a buddy of Tim Miles?  Well, sorry, then, we have to keep looking.  No friends of the coach allowed on as assistants.  That's the rule.  And we dun follow the rules hereabouts.

Molinari is an elite defensive mind. His teams have been a thorn in NDSU's side in the Summit League, he has done a lot with very little at WIU. I think he could have the Huskers playing an elite brand of defense, I remember when he as an assistant at Minnesota. He made a big impact right away for them. 

I've heard that he is going to take the job. I've also heard that NDSU is looking at hiring your director of basketball ops Jayden Olson for an assistant coach position. 

Molinari is an elite defensive mind. His teams have been a thorn in NDSU's side in the Summit League, he has done a lot with very little at WIU. I think he could have the Huskers playing an elite brand of defense, I remember when he as an assistant at Minnesota. He made a big impact right away for them. 

I've heard that he is going to take the job. I've also heard that NDSU is looking at hiring your director of basketball ops Jayden Olson for an assistant coach position. 

That would be great for Jayden.  If it happens Im hopeful Greg Eaton can get the promotion to DOBO.  Im friends with his wife and would love to see him keep climbing up the ladder.

Welcome to the board, fargobison!

Coming in STRONG with the first post!

Bison dude doesn't eff around, does he?

Bison dude doesn't eff around, does he?

Actually, I probably shouldn't post just after watching a clip of Jeff Spicoli explaining American history to Mr. Hand.

Miles is in control of the situation. Why would anyone here think they know better than the King of Husker Hoops?

This is in no way shape or form an inplication on anyone on this board, but there are armchair coaches, quarterbacks, AD's/GM's that will question anything. It's human nature.

Even the most successful people make mistakes. I was gonna say look at the Royal's keeping Yost, but I did say successful. I like Coach Miles, think he is the right guy but how many NCAA tourney wins does he have?

I truly feel this may be the stupidest comment made on this site. Makes me question literally anything you've ever said and probably anything you ever say going forward as to whether you even know basketball.

Even the most successful people make mistakes. I was gonna say look at the Royal's keeping Yost, but I did say successful. I like Coach Miles, think he is the right guy but how many NCAA tourney wins does he have?

I truly feel this may be the stupidest comment made on this site. Makes me question literally anything you've ever said and probably anything you ever say going forward as to whether you even know basketball.

I don't know if it was intended but this made me really laugh because it had a Billy Madison vibe to it.

I don't know if it was intended but this made me really laugh because it had a Billy Madison vibe to it.