So what is a foul, anyway?

KZRider

After watching a fair number of regular season and tournament games this year, I have just been amazed at the level of physical play that is allowed without calling fouls and then the ticky-tack types of fouls that DO get called. The hacking and holding and shoulder dipping that apparently ISN'T a foul is mind-boggling. It is especially egregious to watch offensive players INITIATE contact (not just on blocking/charging scenarios) and have the call go against the defense.

So, I thought to myself "Well maybe it has always been this way and you just don't remember." So, I watched significant minutes of a couple of older but not ancient championship games online (2001 Arizona/Duke and 2003 Syracuse/Kansas). Certainly there is a level of physical play that goes on but it is NOTHING compared to the game today.

Help me out here. What IS a foul today, anyway? I think the lack of an answer to that question in part explains why officiating is such a problem. They don't seem to know, either, so it is hard for them to call a good game.

Thoughts?

Imagine if we could create robot officials....that called the game by the book, and never missed a call.....how different this game would be.

We would probably have an entirely different final four.....and some players which are considered studs, might be bench warmers.....

Traveling, palming, fouls, and balls knocked out of bounds.....so many times, it is gotten wrong or worse just ignored.....

Imagine if we could create robot officials....that called the game by the book, and never missed a call.....how different this game would be.

If officials were programmed, players & coaches would find ways to exploit the vulnerable areas. Then programmers would adjust those rules. Then other areas would be exploited.

Not only does it sound like the hacker/programmer delima, it sounds awfully familiar to the situation we're already in.