The Future will be bright if...

I know there has been a thread about this, but I couldn't find it/i'm to lazy to go hunting through, but feel free to move it or not, but after re-watching the game and fighting through the sadness I have a good feeling for the next two years, and I believe most people feel that way too.  But IMO, we need everyone needs to get better, because I don't think anyone will be losing playing time.  But this is what I'm thinking that people need to work on in the off season.

Terran-  Arguably the best player on the team, although I think Shavon is, but the key for him to taking the next step is to become a smarter player and keep working on his jump shot.  I don't have stats and I could be off, but I think he probably led our team with most turnovers (maybe Tai did).  He can score at will, but its the lack of his basketball smartness and turnovers that absolutely kill him.  Sometimes he will just go down and chuck a three up right away.  I say he makes about 1/4 of a time, but it can kill us. That is an empty possession that we don't work the clock and the other team can go down and score.  He also needs to work on three point shots.  I think his final percentage was around 33%, which isn't bad, but if he wants to be a premier player like a nik stauskas, thats what he needs to do.

Shavon- He too, like Terran, can score at will.  He is also one of the smartest players on the floor too.  He just needs to work on becoming a leader and his outside/mid-range jump shots.  Him and Terran are incredible drivers, and he could be another big time player if he could be more consistent with his jump shot.  It got better towards the end, but the majority of his points are from driving and getting to the hoop.  He starts making outside shots, teams will have to guard him tight out there and then he can blow by them and get to the hoop.  I also think he needs to take control out there.  He should demand the ball every possession.  When the ball is in his hands, good things happen.  

Walt-  short and simple, get bigger, polish post moves, and then becoming a better down low defender.  A lot of times, he would get the ball, somewhat down low, then he wouldn't have a move and eventually either kick it out, or dribble it out.  He also gets pushed out of the lane never establishes himself in their.  Both getting better down low, offensively and defensively, will become important, especially if Jacob Hammond comes in and isn't as big of a threat as we think he will be.  

David-  David I think is the most improved player on the team throughout the entire year.  Started slow and didn't play in some games, but once he got going again, he was good.  Defensively, he did fantastic.  I wouldn't be surprised if he led the team in blocks.  He also has a really nice mid range jump shot.  He hit some buckets when we really needed one.  It would be nice if he could gain some weight and help him battle down lo.  He also needs to work on his post moves.  Sometimes he would get the ball down low on a pass or offensive rebound and he would get stuck because he had no move to help him.

Benny-  he was fine defensively, and his jump shot started to come around.  But he needs to become a better passer, drive the ball more, and just keep working on his jump shot.  I dont have the stat about his assist but I don't think he had many per a game.  Maybe averaged 1 or 2 a game.  He also needs to drive the ball more i think.  No guard is that quick to cut him off and he finishes great around the rim for how small he is.  He just needs the confidence in himself to one, drive the ball, and then will help him with his jump shot too.

Tai- whether he becomes a shooting guard or if they keep him at point guard, he just needs to find his shot.  I think its freshman pains, and not being used to the pace of college ball.  Just find his shot and i think he will be fine.  If they keep him at point, he needs to become a better driver and a better passer.  Get the assist up, and start making shots, he will be just fine.

Leslee-  He had an up and down season.  Times he looked really good and other times, he looked alright.  I also think he got zero calls throughout the entire conference season.  You could tell he was getting frustrated throughout the season and games.  I think all he really can do is just keep working on his inside game and maybe starting shooting shots around the elbow when he gets the ball in the high post.  Make him more of a threat.  Defensively, I thought he did a solid job all year.

Those are my two cents, if people want to add on or disprove stuff go for it.  But i'm just excited for next season!!!!!

Nice summary.

Everybody has things to improve on, but I'm not worried since their work ethic inspired by miles and co (especially seen in Terran) is top notch.

The thing I expect and hope to see most next season is defined leadership. The guys settled into their roles and took steps towards being an extremely closely-knit team, and Terran/Shavon stepped up, but they need to develop a confidence and assertiveness (like you see in Deandre Kane at isu and cleanthony early in wsu) so that when we get young guys in, they can help them out and be our "player coaches" on the floor, if you will.

I'm confident in this coaching staff and their ability to shape these guys and develop talent (bringing the best out of them). They'll most definitely be working their butts off in the summer. I'm also excited about the recruiting road coming up in the offseason for miles.

My summary will be much shorter. We averaged 67 ppg. We return 56.3 ppg. Getting same production from Shavon, Benny, and Petteway and 2 more ppg individually out of Walt, Rivers, Smith, Tai, and Hawkins gets you to 66.3 ppg. Anything Fuller and newcomers can give you on top of that is gravy. Personally, I think we can get to 73 ppg which is what Wisconsin averaged. You do that, with our defense, and you're looking at a lot of freakin' wins.

i think Tai needs to just have a good long summer, of staying in Lincoln, and maybe going back to NZ for a lil bit, and finding his game, that made everyone in the country like him over the last two years, you dont make your countries National Team, and compete internationally without some electric stuff, i think a summer to mature, get bigger (that will be scary, he's already a big PG) and just gain confidence. in an ideal off season, we find a 7'0 footer who brings a defense of presence, or a long 6'9 6'10 guy, which allows Hammond to redshirt, and Tai, and Benny continue to grow, which allows Tarin to redshirt, Hawk and Fuller develop to as advertised pieces.

Our opponents are going to be ready for us next year. We're going to have to become a team that is resilient and know how to close out close games. We can't take any game for granted, especially at home. It starts with winning the early season tournament, having a solid non-conference, and then overcoming the slumps (that we will have) in conference play. Winning streaks was a new concept for us this year. Now we have to make losing streaks a thing of the past.

Just to give a different point of view from the majority opinion that a new "big man" is our main lack for next year, I will propose that a reliable three point threat is a greater need. We thought Rey/Ray would be that after his junior season, but it never came to pass. Most every successful team I have seen this year has someone who lets the announcer bring out the tired old "you just can't leave that guy open beyond the three point line" remark. Our players all had their moments this year, but none ever developed into Conklin type shooters who were accurate almost every game. I think we need one of those reliable shooters for next year more than another Maric (although I would take another premium big man if one is out there).

The future will be bright if ...

if Tim Miles doesn't get lured away by some big-name program.  Because, otherwise, there is no "if."  The future is bright.  Period.

This is kind of how I see it as well.

Didn't mention any of the players who are with the team but didn't see much action or were redshirted. Two in particular that excite me: Hawkins and, especially, Fuller. Both of these guys got us very excited when they signed and have a lot to offer. How good can they be?

Those will definitely be two keys to watch for next season because we desperately need shooters. Sadly, they might have been the third and fourth best 3-point shooters on the team last year.

Great post and analysis of our guys. I for one, think Tai will be just fine. I kind of have a feeling that we are going to see a totally different Tai starting next year that will have us talking throughout the next three years of how much he has come along since being a freshmen. Most college point guards, (outside of phenoms like Ennis or Smart) take some time to learn the college game. I remember watching a freshman Mario Chalmers at KU, not being able to get the ball over half court without turning it over and looking totally overmatched. 

My summary will be much shorter. We averaged 67 ppg. We return 56.3 ppg. Getting same production from Shavon, Benny, and Petteway and 2 more ppg individually out of Walt, Rivers, Smith, Tai, and Hawkins gets you to 66.3 ppg. Anything Fuller and newcomers can give you on top of that is gravy. Personally, I think we can get to 73 ppg which is what Wisconsin averaged. You do that, with our defense, and you're looking at a lot of freakin' wins.

I couldn't agree more.

I believe that Nebraska will win 22-24 games next season.

Walter just doesn't look comfortable playing in the post. He's a natural 4 and would be a difficult matchup if he were playing the 4. My dream lineup would be:

C - Smith

F - Pitchford

F- Petteway

G - Sheilds

G - Parker/Webster

That is not only a big lineup but also an athletic one. This would create a huge advantage for Sheilds. 

The problem with this lineup is that as of now there is no one who can step in for Smith/Pitchford, which is why those 2 were rarely ever on the floor at the same time. More than anything we need another big man, which at this point would have to come from the Juco ranks, who can play about 10-15min a game.

It's hard to believe that this year, in most games, most of those guys had never played an official college game together. Early on in the year I was saying how they looked out of synch and that it would take some time for them to gel. We are going to be a much improved next season and should come out of the gates very strong. 

I can't wait!!