+/-

husker8282

I'm a stat nerd and I love the ole (+/-) stat, here they are for our team through 3 games

Brandon Ubel +33

Dylan Talley +30

Ray Gallegos +27

Andre Almeida +25

Benny Parker +20

Mike Peltz +9

Trevor Menke +3

Jordan Tyrance +1

Sergei Vucetic -2

David Rivers -14

Of course the obvious, we will struggle when our starters aren't on the floor, no depth. Mike Peltz hasn't killed us when filling in for Benny Parker. But the thing that stands out is David Rivers at -14. It doesn't seem like he has done anything in particular to hurt us. He was -16 in the Valparaiso game, I wasn't able to attend or watch the game because I was in New Orleans so maybe someone can explain why we struggled when he was in the game. The only thing that maybe makes sense is we have to go smaller when he's been in, so as a team we've really struggled when Brandon or Andre or both are on the bench and he's just the innocent bystander. This is a small sample size, but I'll keep a close eye on these during the season, see if anything stands out

The +/- might be overrated in terms of evaluating a player, but it has to mean something that we are doing poorly when he is in the game relative to the other bench players who have about as many minutes. I guess we'll see how it changes going forward as our competition increases and we add Shavon Shields to the mix.

In David Rivers case, I feel the +/- is a very effective measurement. Rivers had a poor game against Valpo. He missed some shots early and seemed very nervous after that (effect of prior coaching?), even as they left him wide open around the perimeter.

That said, the confidence he showed against UNO was much better, even as they employed the same let him shoot technique. Hopefully, Rey shares whatever powerful elixir he found over the offseason. Michael's Secret Stuff perhaps?

mjsecret.jpg

I think +/- is something that is a stat better used in the NBA, but in college can be useful to watch in conference. Too many variables come into play during the non-conference in college. Most of you notice how teams, especially in the B1G, tend to shrink their benches and increase starters minutes in conference. It will be a lot better to track at that point imo.

• 2 months later...

never understood any sport not named hockey trying to use a +/- stat. Unless the system is really advanced and accounts for all the different lineups used.

it's good in hockey because entire lines change off. When it's a sub of one person here, one person there, it's utility is minimal.

According to this website, Benny Parker surprisingly is in the top 2 for the Huskers in this stat. Probably because he hasn't played as much in the conference season.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/stats/plus_minus_avg?games=1&conf=big-ten&season=2012-2013&min=

I'd attribute it much more to the small sample size of a college basketball season providing questionable results