Craig Smith to South Dakota

The Coach

This is a sign of progress for our program.  Tough deal as I think he was involved in the X and O things more than we realize.  Hopefully Miles can handle that without him.  And hopefully he gets a great replacement.  And hopefully Smith does a great job at South Dakota. 

+1

I remember us talking when Miles was hired what a good thing it would be for us that he was so successful other programs came trying to hire him. The same is equally true of his assistants. Great assistants will invariably be looked at by other schools as head coaches. And we ought to want assistants with the skills and aspirations to advance. Sure this will be a loss and a chore for Miles but this is a GOOD thing.

I'd expect it to be someone off our radar with significant recruiting ties.

This.

Could there be a package...I do not think Miles would do this unless the coach was viable on his own record...and he would consider him  with no tag along.

Yet, if it just so happened that a great recruit had a wonderful relationship with a really good coach...and the player happened to be 7'1" 275...well, that wouldn't suck!

There was another former Nebraska assistant who got a head gig and took the team to the NCAA tourney besides Spoonhour.

You referring to Moe, Norm?  He does fit that definition.

Actually, Moe did coach at TCU, but he didn't take them to the NCAA.  I'm drawing a blank here, Norm, who do you have in mind?

There was another former Nebraska assistant who got a head gig and took the team to the NCAA tourney besides Spoonhour.

Actually, Moe did coach at TCU, but he didn't take them to the NCAA.  I'm drawing a blank here, Norm, who do you have in mind?

Moe was an assistant at Nebraska.  He got a "head gig" (at Nebraska), and took the team to the NCAA tournament.  Too bad Norm doesn't make salsa, or I would get me some.

I've heard Ryan Miller thrown around as a Nebrasketball coaching replacement. Here is his bio:

Recognized as one of the top recruiters in the nation, Ryan Miller enters his second year on Tony Barbee's staff at Auburn and his fifth coaching alongside Barbee.

Miller coached the previous five years (2007-12) as an assistant coach at New Mexico under head coach Steve Alford. He was a part of the most successful five-year period in New Mexico basketball history, helping the Lobos to a 126-46 record, five consecutive postseason appearances and a pair of NCAA Tournament berths.

New Mexico won two regular season Mountain West Conference Championships and one MWC Tournament Championship during his coaching stint.

"I'm excited about Ryan joining on our staff," Barbee said when he hired Miller at Auburn. "He is a close friend who I have known for quite a while now. He is going to add a lot to the program in all areas from recruiting to coaching to relationships with players."

Miller is considered one of the top recruiters in the country where he has contacts throughout the United States as well as foreign countries including Australia, where he also played competitively.

Miller was a basketball operations assistant at Memphis under head coach John Calipari from 2004-06 when Barbee was also an assistant coach on the staff. During Miller's three years at Memphis, the Tigers went 78-28 and made three postseason tournament appearances, including two NCAA Tournament berths.

Miller spent one year as an assistant coach at Pepperdine before joining the New Mexico staff prior to the 2007-08 season.

A native of Mitchell, S.D., Miller attended Northern State University in Aberdeen, S.D., where he was a two-time Northern Sun All-Conference and All-Academic selection. He finished his career eighth on Northern State's all-time scoring list after leading his teams to four straight conference championships and the 1998 regional title. He was named a Div. II All-American and an All-Northern Sun Intercollegiate Conference Academic selection as a senior in 1997-98.

In the 1998 North Central Region Championship, Miller scored 45 points, making nine 3-pointers, leading Northern State to an 88-82 victory over South Dakota State to advance to their first Elite 8 in Louisville, Ky.

Miller was drafted into the CBA in 1999 and played professionally for the Fargo-Moorhead Beez of International Basketball Association that season.

Miller earned his bachelor's degree in physical education from Northern State in 2000. He attended Mitchell (S.D.) Senior High where he was a two-time all-state selection, leading Mitchell to the 1994 state championship. His brother, Mike, is a 13-year NBA veteran who won the 2012 and 2013 NBA Championship with the Miami Heat.

He was born on Sept. 27, 1975, in Mitchell, S.D.

Ryan Miller Quick Sketch

PERSONAL DATA: Born Sept. 27, 1975, in Mitchell, S.D. Younger brother of Mike Miller, a 13-year NBA veteran who won the 2012 and 2013 NBA Championship with the Miami Heat.

COACHING EXPERIENCE: College - Second year as associate head coach at Auburn (2012-pres.); Two months as an assistant coach at Missouri (2012); Five years as an assistant coach at New Mexico (2007-12); One year as an assistant coach at Pepperdine (2006-07); Three years as basketball operations assistant at Memphis (2004-07).

EDUCATION: Graduated from Mitchell (S.D.) Senior High in 1994; B.A. in Physical Education from Northern State in 2000.

PLAYING EXPERIENCE: High School - Lettered two years in basketball at Mitchell (S.D.) Senior High School (19xx-94). College - Four-year letterman at Northern State (1994-98). Professional - Drafted into the CBA in 1999.

http://m.auburntigers.com/m/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/miller_ryan00.html

Losing coach Smith is gonna hurt, but I'm happy for him.  Everybody is bringing up his recruiting success which should not be forgotten.  But let's not forget that Smith was the assistant that did most of the scout work to prepare the team.  I believe that's really going to be missed.  I know everybody wants Miles to find a ace recruiter (and I know it's the Jimmy's and Joe's) but finding somebody with good Xs and Os is also important.  But hey maybe Harriman can step into that role.

Losing coach Smith is gonna hurt, but I'm happy for him.  Everybody is bringing up his recruiting success which should not be forgotten.  But let's not forget that Smith was the assistant that did most of the scout work to prepare the team.  I believe that's really going to be missed.  I know everybody wants Miles to find a ace recruiter (and I know it's the Jimmy's and Joe's) but finding somebody with good Xs and Os is also important.  But hey maybe Harriman can step into that role.

I could be wrong here, but wasn't it Harriman who had the scouting responsibility for our biggest wins during our run? Maybe I'm getting that wrong.

I could be wrong here, but wasn't it Harriman who had the scouting responsibility for our biggest wins during our run? Maybe I'm getting that wrong.

This is correct.

I wonder if Bruce Pearl will be bringing in his own guys at Auburn. 

I do find it interesting that when Miles took the job, he allegedly asked everyone who came with him to commit to at least three years in Lincoln. Chin Coleman apparently couldn't make that commitment, which resulted in him being assigned to the football operations position.

Now, two years later, only Harriman appears to be fulfilling that original three-year commitment.

I don't begrudge either Ben Johnson or Craig Smith for their decisions, and I'm happy that both guys got jobs they wanted, but it's interesting to me that only one assistant coach from the original staff remains after two years. Hopefully we can replace Smith with a really solid hire.

Moe was an assistant at Nebraska.  He got a "head gig" (at Nebraska), and took the team to the NCAA tournament.  Too bad Norm doesn't make salsa, or I would get me some.

Nice work, my man.  Kind of a trick question but you weren't thrown off the trail.   I'm sure Cip would be delighted to reward you with some of his famous salsa.  ;)