Craig Smith to South Dakota

The Coach

I really thought this was a concern for next year, maybe not this one. I didn't realize the USD job was open or I would have been concerned.

USD fired Joey James, a former Bellevue West standout. He was their interim coach. Small world.

Joey James...had not heard that name in years.

I coached the reserve squad at Bellevue west when Joey was a senior...

Interesting. I'm a BW grad myself.

I am a Fremont high grad, coached at Bellevue west for two years my junior and senior years at Creighton.

Lanny Richards was a fantastic mentor for a young coach....

I really thought this was a concern for next year, maybe not this one. I didn't realize the USD job was open or I would have been concerned.

USD fired Joey James, a former Bellevue West standout. He was their interim coach. Small world.

Joey James...had not heard that name in years.

I coached the reserve squad at Bellevue west when Joey was a senior...

Interesting. I'm a BW grad myself.

I am a Fremont high grad, coached at Bellevue west for two years my junior and senior years at Creighton.

Lanny Richards was a fantastic mentor for a young coach....

I PM'd you.

Man, this was expected at some point, but I was hoping to get another year or two with Craig Smith on the bench.

I think this is a really big blow. I'm fortunate enough to have seats pretty close to the NU bench. Coach Miles and Coach Smith pretty much "co-coach" this team. Whoever we hire needs to be a top notch X's and O's guy and not some guy with "AAU connections".

Wow. Congrats to Coach Smith! Agree - it's a loss for our program though, and especially for Tim Miles. TM has made it no secret that this is what he wanted for CS.

When's the last time NU has had a former assistant go on to be a head coach at a D-1 school?

Tony Benford North Texas via Marquette is the first I can think of

Assistant Coach Candidate South Dakota St assistant Joe Krabbenhoft.

Young guy with Bigten experience and midwest ties.  Tough nose player to help teach guys what it takes.

Just a thought

I'm hoping we can come up with someone with a lot more recruiting experience than him. He's a year removed from being a video coordinator at Wisconsin.

Wow. Congrats to Coach Smith! Agree - it's a loss for our program though, and especially for Tim Miles. TM has made it no secret that this is what he wanted for CS.

When's the last time NU has had a former assistant go on to be a head coach at a D-1 school?

Tony Benford North Texas via Marquette is the first I can think of

Very good.  I see that David Anwar is an assistant there, along with former Ole Miss head coach Rob Evans.

http://www.meangreensports.com/sports/m-baskbl/mtt/ntex-m-baskbl-coaches.html

no it wasn't a joke. He was the only guy I could think of. 

I think there's a misfire somewhere in here. One is talking about Spoonhour being a former NU assistant who became a head coach and I think the other is thinking that Spoonhour is a suggestion for our next assistant coach.

no it wasn't a joke. He was the only guy I could think of. 

I think there's a misfire somewhere in here. One is talking about Spoonhour being a former NU assistant who became a head coach and I think the other is thinking that Spoonhour is a suggestion for our next assistant coach.

Correct--was wondering how we would interview him!

Interesting to note that South Dakota's current AD David Herbster was at UNO for a short while, but resigned amid a slew of trouble (not necessarily his own causing): http://nebraska.statepaper.com/vnews/display.v/ART/2006/11/28/456c5c95d2ebd and here's the Herbster bio at USD: http://www.goyotes.com/genrel/herbster_david00.html

Great for Craig Smith and great for Nebrasketball.  This was a goal that both Tim Miles and Craig Smith have been working toward for a long time. 

Tim Miles can now sell prospective assistant coaches on the reality that a job with Tim Miles is a stepping stone to a head coaching gig.  Heck, perhaps one day everyone will be talking about the Tim Miles coaching tree.

Can't wait to see who Tim Miles brings in as a replacement!