Shavon Shields practicing today

hhcmatt

Per Rosenthal tweet

Brian Rosenthal @HuskerExtraBR

Shavon Shields is returning to practice today for #Nebrasketball with no limitations; status for Wednesdays game not determined.

Considering how shallow are bench is and that he should have been able to stay in shape it would be surprising to not see him play.

Should we consider redshirting him?

No, for multiple reasons. We need him now, as the depth on this team is really bad. He adds what helps propel this season forward. Also there are many players that are coming in next year, and playing time will be more limited. If things go the way they should, we will be able to get another Shields easily in a few years.

Should we consider redshirting him?

Probably no reason to. From the chatter we heard before his elbow infection, he was looking very strong. Like someone who would contribute. It seems safe to say he will play this year and get lots of minutes. Vucetic is the one who might not see much of the court and, therefore, we might have considered redshirting until he played a minute in the first game. Now, we can't redshirt him. Bad part is that, at this point in his career, he doesn't really provide depth and we have a walk-on who could probably give us as good or better minutes. For all the minutes he's likely to get this year, a redshirt would have been doable and would probably have benefited him. The other hand consideration, though, is that maybe you don't want his 'ship tied up for that many years and, if he's already burned his 'shirt, it would make it tougher for him to consider transferring if he decided that was in his best interests. So, I'm not in a position to 2nd guess Miles on whether to redshirt Vucetic or not. He chose not to and that suggests some things to me. But the considerations that would, in my mind, apply to Vucetic that might suggest redshirting him don't apply to Shields. Shields should play because he'll get real minutes and would probably benefit more from playing this year than from sitting.

Probably no reason to. From the chatter we heard before his elbow infection, he was looking very strong. Like someone who would contribute. It seems safe to say he will play this year and get lots of minutes. Vucetic is the one who might not see much of the court and, therefore, we might have considered redshirting until he played a minute in the first game. Now, we can't redshirt him. Bad part is that, at this point in his career, he doesn't really provide depth and we have a walk-on who could probably give us as good or better minutes. For all the minutes he's likely to get this year, a redshirt would have been doable and would probably have benefited him. The other hand consideration, though, is that maybe you don't want his 'ship tied up for that many years and, if he's already burned his 'shirt, it would make it tougher for him to consider transferring if he decided that was in his best interests. So, I'm not in a position to 2nd guess Miles on whether to redshirt Vucetic or not. He chose not to and that suggests some things to me. But the considerations that would, in my mind, apply to Vucetic that might suggest redshirting him don't apply to Shields. Shields should play because he'll get real minutes and would probably benefit more from playing this year than from sitting.

I figured Vucetic was a no brainer redshirt. Especially after I saw him not play. I guess I figure if you aren't going to play you might as well redshirt, but I hear you about tying up a scholarship.

I haven't seen shields play but if he is going to get lots of minutes this year than he should probably play. But isn't that what we said about Biggs?

I agree with HB. Play the kid. If what we've been hearing about his practice performance prior to the injury is true, then he's clearly going to get substantial minutes this year, which will be more beneficial to him than sitting out as a redshirt. It's entirely possible that having him play could make the difference between single digits in the win column vs. double digits in the win column.

Gotta play him. And hopefully all the rumors of him looking good early on are true. I'm sure he'll be rusty, but we gotta get this kid on the court. From what I was told, he's the type of guy that has 10 points, 8 assist, 5 rebound and you don't notice it. Plus at 6'6 he has some good size where he may be a matchup problem. Need to get him as many minutes as possible in these next couple games before our games get much tougher.

If you can give a guy meaningful minutes...then play him.

If you are not going to do that, redshirt him....which gives you options.

I have three examples...Rich King played some as a freshman, but fifth year of him would have been more valuable then a couple minutes a game as a Freshman

Brandon Ubel...I think his freshman year was a waste, and having him one more year next year would have been huge for our chances next year.

Paul Velander...played 1 minute late in the season when he first played...had he not played that minute, he could have gotten a 6th year...Collier really screwed his choices by putting him in one game for one minute.

Shields should play because he'll get real minutes and would probably benefit more from playing this year than from sitting.

I agree with this. I know people talk about redshirting as a way to plan for the future, but getting a guy experience is also a good way to plan for the future. Play him and let him learn.

Comments by FHOFHCTM in this morning's paper makes you wonder about these redshirt issues. Obviously, this is vain speculation but what else are message boards for? Anyway, he basically said that, though Shields is 100% recovered and cleared to play, no decision has yet been made as to whether he will actually play. Hmmm. Redshirt? Rank speculation. But what other reason would there be not to play him if he's physically ready to go?

And Vucetic. Someone from the paper asked him what about Vucetic not getting minutes and he basically said that Vucetic just lacks physicality. That's the only thing. So, he doesn't get minutes because he's not physical enough. Makes sense. Except that begs the question about why play him at all then and not just redshirt him? Because in that year of sitting and growing and eating and lifting and filling out even a tiny bit and getting bigger, the kid could come back as a freshman next year with more physicality and actually see some floor time. Except for that minute he played against Valpo.

I'm not second-guessing Miles on the decision to play Vucetic and not redshirt him. I'm sure that a lot of thought went into how to approach that decision. But if there was ever a kid who could benefit from a redshirt year, this is probably him. So, the fact that he didn't redshirt leads me to some more rank speculation ...

If you can give a guy meaningful minutes...then play him.

If you are not going to do that, redshirt him....which gives you options.

I have three examples...Rich King played some as a freshman, but fifth year of him would have been more valuable then a couple minutes a game as a Freshman

Brandon Ubel...I think his freshman year was a waste, and having him one more year next year would have been huge for our chances next year.

Paul Velander...played 1 minute late in the season when he first played...had he not played that minute, he could have gotten a 6th year...Collier really screwed his choices by putting him in one game for one minute.

I don't agree about Ubel's freshman year being a waste. He started I think 16 games and played a lot of minutes. A better example of what you're talking about would be Mikki Moore. Or Wes Wilkinson. A 5th year of Wes would have been real nice, especially considering he didn't see a lot of time on the floor as a freshman.

I don't agree about Ubel's freshman year being a waste. He started I think 16 games and played a lot of minutes. A better example of what you're talking about would be Mikki Moore. Or Wes Wilkinson. A 5th year of Wes would have been real nice, especially considering he didn't see a lot of time on the floor as a freshman.

Agree 100% on Wes. It's too bad that he really seemed to really get things going and then he graduated. But that's what happens when a coach feels that he HAS to win and will play guys that would benefit from redshirting.