uneblinstu's post game chatter: ed 6, vol 33 - Baylor - NCAA Tournament

uneblinstu

What a disappointing to end a terrific year.

- The Baylor zone did give the Huskers trouble as they got away from driving at times.

- It looked like nerves and frustration did the Huskers in early. They got plenty of open looks and just couldn't get them to fall. We're not a great shooting team, but we're not terrible, either.

- Zero points for Pitchford was tough. Only time he had been held scoreless other than the game vs. Michigan in Lincoln.

- I didn't mind the first technical, but the ref jumped to a huge conclusion on the second one and killed any chance the Huskers had of getting back into it. I was more upset about that than the foul disparity.

- That said, there were fouls called on Nebraska that weren't called on Baylor...when Nebraska was aggressive. There were times when Nebraska settled for jumpers, which isn't conducive to racking up fouls. When they did drive it, they did get fouls called on Baylor, they just didn't do it enough.

- For all that didn't go right today, this was an unbelievable year.  I'll remember it fondly for so many reasons for a very long time. Don't let this game spoil that.

Even with decent officiating it would've been a rough game, no doubt.

But you can't ask these kids to have to rise above a whistle every possession, many of which were bodying up calls that are perfectly fine in every other game.

Tough two losses to end the year, but hopefully that motivates these guys to become better players in the offseason. I can't imagine they'd want to feel that way again.

No fan wants to watch a whistle-fest.  I hate it when the game becomes about foul shots.  Even at the end of a game when a team is trying to foul.  The way this game was officiated bugs the ever-living piss out of me.  We were typically the aggressors going to the basket.  That almost always means we would draw more fouls.  The officiating was just brutal today.  Yeah, we didn't play particularly well, but part of that was that there was never any flow to the game because the refs kept trying to be the main event.  I can stand losing but it leaves me with a sick feeling when you don't have a level playing field.

Very disappointing to wait another year for that first NCAA tournament win. The Team should get better, but we are still missing a good PF and a deadly shooter. Hope Fuller and Hawkins can be the guys from downtown and that we get a good grad Transfer down low.

No clue how the B1G stacks up next year. 11-7 might be a tall order.

Yeah because we didn't have the inside strength of BU, we needed to be allowed to be more physical down low. Unfortunately we ended up with a crew that called the game very tight. 

But we also had a lot of early jitters, which caused us to lose our composure and make some poor fouls too. We looked like a young team playing in its first NCAA tournament. 

We actually stopped a lot of BU's key offensive threats - we kept Heslip in check & Chery didn't kill us, although the officials also had a role in taking him out of the game. Because of Heslip we weren't going to be able to double down low a whole lot, so we needed to be able to be physical one on one with their big players, and it wasn't allowed to happen.

We just aren't big enough/skilled enough inside to stop their big guys with the way the game was officiated. To overcome that and win that type of game we needed to shoot 50+% in both halves.

It's too bad we weren't more aggressive offensively with Austin on the bench in the first half. With the way the game was officiated so tightly in the first half, we needed to be much more aggressive driving to the basket.

Great season - just sucks to end it the way we did in Indy & San Antonio. Plenty of fuel for next season though. 

We actually stopped a lot of BU's key offensive threats - we kept Heslip in check & Chery didn't kill us, although the officials also had a role in taking him out of the game. Because of Heslip we weren't going to be able to double down low a whole lot, so we needed to be able to be physical one on one with their big players, and it wasn't allowed to happen.

And then there's that whole "well, Baylor and especially Austin aren't good from the line, so even if they do shoot a lot of FTs, they won't make than many" thing. Oy. 80 percent today, both Austin and the Bears.

I hope Tai gets to go home for spring break. He hasn't been back since when he got here during the summer.

It will be interesting to see if he sticks it out in Lincoln. If he does come back I hope he's a different player next year.

I hope he sticks it out.  I think he can become a really good player for us.  His defense for the most part has gotten better.  He can get to the rim for the most part.  He needs to find confidence in his outside shot.  He struggles with ball handling at times.  He is playing out of position, though.  He is more of a shooting guard trying to play point guards halfway across the globe in one of the best basketball conferences in the country.

Yeah because we didn't have the inside strength of BU, we needed to be allowed to be more physical down low. Unfortunately we ended up with a crew that called the game very tight. 

But we also had a lot of early jitters, which caused us to lose our composure and make some poor fouls too. We looked like a young team playing in its first NCAA tournament. 

We just aren't big enough/skilled enough inside to stop their big guys with the way the game was officiated. To overcome that and win that type of game we needed to shoot 50+% in both halves.

It's too bad we weren't more aggressive offensively with Austin on the bench in the first half. With the way the game was officiated so tightly in the first half, we needed to be much more aggressive driving to the basket.

Great season - just sucks to end it the way we did in Indy & San Antonio. Plenty of fuel for next season though. 

Excellent points, throwback. Nebraska overachieved big-time this season... Baylor has top 10 team talent, so it would have taken the Huskers shooting 50% that first half to "stay in the game"  early on. Nothing to be ashamed of losing to a very talented Bears team in their own backyard. Nebraska will learn & get better at playing high-level tournament-quality basketball sooner than later, IMHO.

I hope Tai gets to go home for spring break. He hasn't been back since when he got here during the summer.

It will be interesting to see if he sticks it out in Lincoln. If he does come back I

hope he's a different player next year.

I certainly think he comes back, I just meant I hope he can catch a flight home. Everyone else on the team got to but him and vooch over Christmas break.

It will be interesting to see if he sticks it out in Lincoln. If he does come back I hope he's a different player next year.

If Tai comes back he needs a redshirt year.   He is so mentally rattled, he just needs a year to just focus only on his development and confidence.  No games. 

I hope he sticks it out.  I think he can become a really good player for us.  His defense for the most part has gotten better.  He can get to the rim for the most part.  He needs to find confidence in his outside shot.  He struggles with ball handling at times.  He is playing out of position, though.  He is more of a shooting guard trying to play point guards halfway across the globe in one of the best basketball conferences in the country.

I recently heard that the coaching staff has been tinkering with Tai's shooting form ever since he arrived.  If true, no doubt this has played a role into his shooting woes.  Definitely a risky proposition changing a players shooting form this late in the game.  Remember, this same kid shot 4-5 on 3 pointers in an olympic level qualifying game before arriving on campus.  Maybe it pays off in the end, or maybe it destroys his confidence forever.  I also hope he sticks this out and stays with the team as I think he can get a lot better, he just needs to get confident in his shot again. 

I've always believed that free throws should only be shot in the last 2 minutes of the game (except for flagrant/technical/intentional fouls).  That would cut down on ticky-tack calls and keep the games going, instead of turning them into free-throw contests.

LOL.  It would also lead to defenses hacking, kicking, scratching and biting the offensive players.  If I was on defense and knew that no matter what the other team could at best only get the ball out of bounds, as soon as my guy got half a step on me I would trip him, kick him, smack him on the head and then allow them to "throw the ball in bounds." once more after my entire team was able to set up its defense once again. 

I've always believed that free throws should only be shot in the last 2 minutes of the game (except for flagrant/technical/intentional fouls).  That would cut down on ticky-tack calls and keep the games going, instead of turning them into free-throw contests.

LOL.  It would also lead to defenses hacking, kicking, scratching and biting the offensive players.  If I was on defense and knew that no matter what the other team could at best only get the ball out of bounds, as soon as my guy got half a step on me I would trip him, kick him, smack him on the head and then allow them to "throw the ball in bounds." once more after my entire team was able to set up its defense once again. 

Those would be the flagrant/technical/intentional fouls I mentioned above.  You would also still only get 5 personal fouls.  There should be no free throws for incidental fouls IMO.  

Those would be the flagrant/technical/intentional fouls I mentioned above.  You would also still only get 5 personal fouls.  There should be no free throws for incidental fouls IMO.  

I feel quite confident I could make it look "incidental", and obviously I was exagerating to make a point.  As for 5 fouls, there are a lot of players to go around.  Mike Pelz could give 5 more, and so on.  Again, please explain why any player would not foul his man once he was beat under your rule.  There simply is no penalty for doing so if the other team simply gets to throw the ball in bounds every time.  This allows the defense to set up once again every single time.  Thus, it would have the exact opposite effect.  I would lead to considerably more fouls, not less.  The whole reason teams try not to foul now is b/c they don't want to get to the bonus too early and they definitely don't want the opponent to get to the double bonus at all, let alone with considerable time on the clock.